• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Plan for next summer!

Today went to airfield with 1/4 mile test day. Track was slippery and could only produce 2.192 60 ft times, but it ran fine. Best run was 11.969 with 205.36 km/h and 2.192 60 ft.

Speed was OK, and next year trial for better time...

good grief! talk about slippery, huh?

if you can manage to get your 60' times down considerably (in the <1.8 range), you can probably get pretty darn close to 11.0.....

Here's vid from one pull, not the best one. This was my fourth pull and had to lift once on first and 2 times on second and tried to not to floor it. Axle movement looks quickly ok?ish but front suspension needs major changes to get more traction on airfields like that. I think it might be better on real race track.

Also it is difficult to launch with that turbo and limited traction as it will bog below 5000 (even with launch) and above that it has little more torque then that track allows. With practice I'll learn it but it was now only 6th launch for me with that engine/clutch/gearbox combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TFAlqEaps

Hey Kuikka. Have you driven the car on the street with the toploader transmission? Does it shift normally when driving slow?

Those don't look like terribly good tires :)

Well they are what they are M/T ET Street Radial 235/60-15. They gave 1.9 60 ft 2 weeks earlier without burnout on real track so they perform relatively well. That track just is difficult to drive as it is slippery.

Hey Kuikka. Have you driven the car on the street with the toploader transmission? Does it shift normally when driving slow?

It shifts with a bang if you don't match the revs or be extra careful. I think it is fully streetable tho.

Hey Kuikka,

what did you replace the broken rear axle with?

And any pictures of the broken bits found inside the axle that exploded?

And nice 1/4-times again.

Hey Kuikka,

what did you replace the broken rear axle with?

And any pictures of the broken bits found inside the axle that exploded?

And nice 1/4-times again.

Replaced by welded diff and used driveshaft. No piccies from that sheet, only thing left from that is locker housing, friction plates and spring plates. Everything else is in gutter already.

Awesome run mate. Low 11's are not far away with less wheelspin.
8270rpm wow not bad on stock pistons.
perhaps u should look into launch control if ur ECU will allow u to set it up. Makes the car far more easy to drive consistently.

Awesome run mate. Low 11's are not far away with less wheelspin.
8270rpm wow not bad on stock pistons.
perhaps u should look into launch control if ur ECU will allow u to set it up. Makes the car far more easy to drive consistently.

I thought he was running these?
100_1392.jpg

look like speed pro's not stock imo :)

or am i mistaken?

p.s I am aware 235 mm is wider than 9" of slick. Go measure a 9" slick and tell me how wide it is please. americans and their inches never make any sense to me. Also, bias ply tires have nice soft sidewalls = useful for drag racing :)

p.p.s you need lots of tire. 9" may not be enough! lol

235/60/15 drag radials? not very wide. I would go with atleast an "9 inch" slick if I was making 11s power. How much pressure are you running in your tires? Your suspension doesn't seem to be helping, and 1.9 is an awful 60 foot time on drag tires.

cars that run 12s here are consistently in the 1.7s and 1.8s here if they know what they are doing.

case in point: the silver mustang:
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zhjxPfIcxg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zhjxPfIcxg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

yeh that was on the 1st motor, then he said he was running B230K pistons from an engine with the heron head.

No pics yet, but lifted the head and it has been my own mistake. As I changed the turbo I had to change the flange on manifold and to save time I did it with manifold on place. However there has been obviously overlap situation in #4 cylinder and some weld particles have found its way thru manifold to top of piston. So when I started it those particles jammed the ring pack and therefore a huge breathing and low compression. I have done work on manifold earlier like that without any problems, so make a note not to do it again.

Now I need to source a another set of B230K pistons so I can slap it back together and try to get some times with it. When I ran it yesterday it putted down two stripes on all gears with M/T Et Street Radials :wtf: Hasn't done it before....

I am running with stock wheel wells at the moment and I need D.O.T. tire so ET Street 26x10.5 -15 is biggest that could fit. Anyway rear was too aggressive with too soft shocks and front didn't have enough outbound travel. They are all things that have been noticed now and will be addressed during winter. You all need to remember that those launches are first ones with that much power on that chassis (total 6 launches)

Also that track was really slippery. Cars that will launch at 1,6 60 ft at track are around 1,8-1,9 there. 2 weeks earlier in real track when diff broke it was 1.9 60 ft and it was first launch with that engine. With small changes I hope to get 1.6 60 ft on real track. For better than that I'd need a lot more wheel.

Just a little update to tell what has happened during winter. The plan was to just add a roll cage and do some suspension mods, but last week when changing valve springs I found an exhaust valve guide on #1 cylinder had jammed to the valve and piston had slapped it loose and it was moving in the head. Nice.

So what was done during winter:
-changed springs and shocks to better suited for drag racing
-Increased front outbound travel
-full roll cage
-drilled 4,5" bolt pattern to front hubs for weld wheels
-changed to 31 spline axles and modified ford 9" spool in volvo housing 4,5" bolt pattern for weld wheels
-4" downpipe and exhaust
-racing seat and harness
-M/T ET Street 10,5x26

And due destroyed head now there's a race ported head coming and later on summer mechanical, more aggressive cams.

Hopefully I'll get the suspension sorted and get the car to launch properly, more power is available when chassis can take it...

Modding a 9" spool and axles to fit the D30 housing is very clever - nice one. :cool:

The new ported head will be a heron head as well I assume?

I always look forward to your updates!

Back