• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New to Volvos. A few questions...

I actually did a fair amount of driving on logging/fire roads on a couple outings down in the Ozark National Forest for my thesis research. I was amazed what a stock 245 could do. Never in a million years could I have done that in a 7/9 series. I mean I really abused that car! Took a branch through the sidewall and knocked the weld off the cat. It did great! I highly recommend beating on a 240 off road.

240's can make a big impression at a campground:
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Reliability is a bit of a wash between the two - they largely have the same drivetrains (with exceptions). And really, while they can be durable (if maintained at least half-assedly), reliability isn't really great compared to more utilitarian Japanese competition from the same time period.

The 240 is a little tougher, though. A more solid rear suspension, a bit less fiddly front suspension.

And even though this is a Volvo board, and there are 3 Volvo's parked at my house (two of mine, one of my son's) we also have 2 third gen 4Runners. The 4Runners are ridiculously reliable, and even more durable than a Volvo. And even in bone stock base 2WD versions they're tougher and have more clearance and fit larger tires than a lifted Volvo. And 4WD/manual trans/e-locker axles/lifts/sliders/skids/bumpers/etc/etc are a lot easier to find if you find you like driving off-road and want to be able to go down more difficult trails.

80-20160708_155546_hdr_zpsna6ha7ww_cd5606e726cee2787aa279665af9b5519f9dd435.jpg

Volvo's are good at some things, real body-on-frame SUV's are good at other things.

Thanks for the reply. I have an 80 series LC for the more serious offroad stuff. Im really just wanting a decent ride for exploring forest roads and a little camping in not-so-hard to get to places. Im a big Toyota fan, ive had several mini trucks, 4runners, etc. Im not looking to replace it, just looking to add to the fleet. Something a little different.

I get the feeling you're not taking this thread seriously. Might have to report things since this isn't Off Topic.

OP. I've owned both 2 and 7/9 series wagons and have camped quite a few nights in my old 88 245. 240s have a bit more room length wise with the seats down and are taller too. I definitely recommend a 240 over a 7/9 if you have any interest camping out of it. 240 interiors hold up to abuse and messes much better too.

Noted. I will begin my search for a 240!

Thanks for the reply. I have an 80 series LC for the more serious offroad stuff. Im really just wanting a decent ride for exploring forest roads and a little camping in not-so-hard to get to places. Im a big Toyota fan, ive had several mini trucks, 4runners, etc. Im not looking to replace it, just looking to add to the fleet. Something a little different.

Well then, by all means, party on! PS: I understand your username now!

Last edited:
Im picking up a 91 240 this weekend. Ive already got some TJ springs to lift the rear. What shocks are the lifted guys running? Ive read several threads, but the info is rather vague. Ive seen S10, Vanagon, etc. What years? 2wd or 4wd? Just wanting to make this information clearer for anyone wanting to do this in the future! Thanks in advance!

Back