• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Late 7/9 series windshield trim install

DET17

Reformed SAABaholic
Well I fought the 92 745 last night before bailing, for fear of bending the fragile 92 trim (I previously had to combine the 92 740 & 940 pieces to get a full straight set - all pieces identical between the 7 & 9).

I lightly lubricated all the clips at engagement point with soap film, and tried direct pressure (reasonable pressure) to achieve trim engagement - no joy. Trim internal shape/width is unbent AFAIK. The entire 7 top clips were used but complete and clean...... I was holding a new set of clips in reserve for my DD. If I don't hear otherwise today, I'll make a second attempt and deploy all the new clips.

The top horizontal piece must install first, A pillars last, is what I believe.

Experts who've BTDT, what am I missing?

In my experience if you try to snap in the trim, you will end up breaking clips. The only way that I have been able to reinstall trim is too slide it on. The top piece is easy of course. If I have chance, I will take a picture of how I've done the side pieces.

The factory certainly didn't slide trim on the assembly line...... but I did the piece under the 745 rear window that way with new clips. I got the top trim about 3/4 of the way by sliding from Dr to Pa, but several clips came UN snapped.

Read a comment on the UK Maint pages that the early trim was a bugger to reinstall after the original rubber shrank with age.

You don't slide the trim on. For one, that would be impossible. Both ends are blocked by sections of the body. Just do EXACTLY what you were doing. Soap water or windex make a great lubricant. Put the upper center piece on first. Start in the middle and work toward the outer corners. You can use a piece of masking tape at each end to keep the trim in the correct position right to left. Put the trim over the clips and use a thin piece of cloth to protect the trim and paint. With it lined up with the edge positioned right between the clip and body sheet metal, hit the trim with a rubber mallet, or, the heel of your hand. It will pop right in. I have replaced at least 15 7-9 windshields and this is the method used. My glass installers do the exact same thing, only, they don't cover the trim with a cloth. You may not want to so you can see that the trim is lined up properly. Once the upper center piece is on, work from the upper corner down when installing the side trim pieces.

Sounds like great advice.... didn't think about Windex, but that stuff is pretty slick. Actually on the 745, I was able to slide the trim and it barely cleared the A pillar paint..... but again I know the factory doesn't do that (time). I'll probably run a strip of duct tape/masking tape along that corner to protect the paint from scratching. I was worried about using a deadblow plastic hammer, as mine is the size of a beer can, far too heavy. My fear of striking the trim was buckling/denting it with too much impact force. Wish me luck, round #2 is tonight.

Well, first and foremost..... Roy is a genius. My 92 windshield trim is now completely installed thanks to his tips.

In summary:

1. use the Windex... sprayed directly on the plastic clips.
2. the plastic deadblow hammer, another stroke of genius (pun intended). I rolled up a fiber shop towel and struck that with the DB plastic hammer (heavy and gently hit). The wide face of the large hammer distributes the blow.
3. don't bother trying to save old clips! I cleaned up a full set (removed trim from my 92 940 & 745) and cherry picked the best. I had two of them that while they appeared perfect, would not clip into the trim. New clips are PN 1342004. Time a wasted by trying to salvage.... just go new and it will be done quickly.
4. with proper clips and Windex lube, it only took one or two taps with the DB hammer to "SNAP" them into place. The sound is unmistakable.
5. I ran a strip of masking tape across the top of the roof joint 90* corner where the trim will reside; once the trim snapped into place, it was difficult to get that tape back off. Roy's suggestion of a thin piece of cloth is a good one; I'm thinking a bed sheet would be the right thickness and slippery to boot.

Thanks again Roy.... 1 down and 1 to go! :cool:

Mmm... My windshield trim is 2/3 gone, 1/3 rusty, rotted & twisted and most of my trim clips are broken. :-(

Back