• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

Well, how does it drive???

Still on stands. Leaks oil pretty good at the turbo drain gasket. And coolant at the lower hose "T."

Probably knock out the coolant leak tonight. I think that the oil drain tube got tweaked while in my garage for the last year. Loosen up the manifold again. Try to see if the mating surfaces are even. Steady as she goes.

Great meeting you and the wife, she's a great cheerleader!

It runs! Next lets chase down those leaks, you're so close it hurts to think about!

Whenever I come up to help I'll bring that cargo tray if you want, just let me know.

That would be great! We can wire the waste-gates closed and see which wagon blows first.

Ha! After the work we've done on our jalopy rides I think the last thing either of us want is to blow a motor.

FWIW I installed the mani, turbo, and lines on the motor on a stand then installed like that. The turbo/mani/hardline installation took lots of convincing to line up. I was pretty surprised since I had read that "it all bolts up" it actually doesn't and things can bend to a very unsettling degree.

Still on stands. Leaks oil pretty good at the turbo drain gasket. And coolant at the lower hose "T."

Probably knock out the coolant leak tonight. I think that the oil drain tube got tweaked while in my garage for the last year. Loosen up the manifold again. Try to see if the mating surfaces are even. Steady as she goes.

Is it leaking at the block or the turbo itself? You can remove the drain by shoving the actuator arm out of the way. No need to loosen the manifold.

That would be great! We can wire the waste-gates closed and see which wagon blows first.

Seriously. Can I adopt Rhonda as my mom??

Black that's minty is exceedingly common up here. Blue, brown, or tan, not so much. BTW: recognize the steering wheel in the tan interior 245 shot?

-J

:omg:

Is that a factory wheel? What cars did they come in?

See below.V

Volvo accessory wheel. A rebadged Momo Ghibli 3 that Volvo sold. Got it from RWC about 7 years ago.

:nod:

PnP San Jose North iirc.

Well, how does it drive???

This, always this how'd it go?

See below.V

:nod:

PnP San Jose North iirc.

This, always this how'd it go?

IIRC, an '85 245DL that was in that yard... But, yeah, Ken, next time you're up north, you need to come to WA... Lately, it seems the 240 concentration is better in the Seattle area than in Portland.

IIRC, an '85 245DL that was in that yard...

The worst of it was I didn't have a socket for the hub and had to go back for it the next day, and to add insult to injury pay for it as a separate item.

:grrrr:

But, yeah, Ken, next time you're up north, you need to come to WA... Lately, it seems the 240 concentration is better in the Seattle area than in Portland.

I think I got the coolant leak. Blue floor mats in a blue interior look sweet. Try and get after the oil leak today. Still no idle. Clutch cable adjuster is a long way out after going from dish to flat. I saw something on Yoshi about a different T/O bearing.

Thoughts on (what I will call) BOV's:

It is good to vent the turbo pressure spike that occurs when the throttle snaps shut: A) because it's better for the turbo, and B) because it sounds cool.

But, when we move the AFM to the intake side of the turbo, then dump some of the air that has gone through this meter, we create a rich condition.

So, we plumb the BOV back to the turbo intake, and after the AFM, to avoid this rich spike. And the cool sound is muffled. But the car runs better.

The only way to avoid the rich spike, and get the hoopty sound, is on cars where the AFM in located AFTER the BOV?

Is that right?

(And Momma said I couldn't be taught...)

This is huge! The wife and drove the (now idling) car around the block! Only took 2.5 months! Coolant still leaking. Oil leak makes her smoke like train.

To do: wire tach, figure out why temp gauge stays hot. Clutch pedal is kind of low.

We already like that it’s quiet and smooth.

78B9CA55-4B22-4EEA-BDE4-0268E434EC8A-M.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work!

I hear my turbo lots, makes me smile every time. You'll be fine if you're running a cone filter like Harald said.

Where's the coolant coming from? Oil leaking onto the exhaust or suspect turbo, or the drain like we chatted?

Well....

I thought the coolant leak was the lower rad hose "T." Turns out it's the one above that. Oh well.

Yeah, 99% it's the turbo drain. I've got a spare AN line someplace. Wonder if this would be a better route. Probably jump into that this weekend.

Saw a different T/O bearing on the Yoshi site. Said to alleviate the need to shim the clutch pivot. I haven't had the trans out in a few weeks anyway. LOL.

Huge shout out to Harold for setting me straight on the BOV so the car would idle and to John for helping me sort the temp gauge. Never would have made it this far without the support of the TB community. Very pleased with the install.

BOV again...

When I plumb the BOV "exhaust" back to the intake side of the turbo, after the AFM, will this create a problem for the catch-can plumbed to the same place? Will the intermittent release of pressure, in the same tract, reverse into the crank-case through the catch can?

Spent the day pulling the turbo. Found that the bolts i used for the drain flange were too long and bottomed out before applying full clamp force.

With my now 20/20 hindsight, I could have saved a bunch of hours and left the turbo in.

952CB754-4C26-40E9-903D-11DC14481E43-M.jpg

Back