• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

Reassembling Read End

Started putting the rear end back together tonight.

H2ANBCPl.jpg

Don't like that the new bearings sit out further. Will need to investigate.

s3mpMZOl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Dude, flip those shock cups over or you're going to bend the shock studs. They hang down lower than anything else when they're in the correct way and they commonly get bent. Consider trimming the stud as much as is safely possible. Your Bilsteins will thank you.

A0F16CD8-C75B-476B-82E1-F1C65340228C_zpsak60kpwx.jpg

^ I didnt notice that in the pic before, good catch!

Are you going to use any sort of C-clip eliminator, or just the rotor/caliper assembly?

I was just planning to use the rotor/ caliper assembly... Not familiar with a C-clip emliminator.

Thanks,

Dude, flip those shock cups over or you're going to bend the shock studs. They hang down lower than anything else when they're in the correct way and they commonly get bent. Consider trimming the stud as much as is safely possible. Your Bilsteins will thank you.

A0F16CD8-C75B-476B-82E1-F1C65340228C_zpsak60kpwx.jpg

That's what others have done. I have a spare set that haven't been modified if there is an issue.

Thanks,

New springs for the rear came in today. 5" x 13" (350 lb). Will most probably swap them out later, but this makes a good starting point.

paK6pdol.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
New springs for the rear came in today. 5" x 13" (350 lb). Will most probably swap them out later, but this makes a good starting point.

I think I tried similar springs, mine were closer to 11" long though. Found 350lb to be way too stiff. I estimated the stock springs to be around 125# at 15" long. With bilsteins and IPD sways, I think the rear suspension was torsionally stiffer than the chassis. This wasn't as much of a comfort issue as a handling one. Even small mid-corner bumps caused the rear end to step out. I did have narrow 165 tires on stock wheels back then.

I ended up with 150# 13" springs. Lowered the car about 1.5" and balanced handling. I probably cannot carry heavy loads in the back, but this wagon has long since been retired from hard labor.

I will be carrying two 150 plus pound dogs. I will be sending them out to get 200 lb springs. Think that should be more than enough.

People don't usually think about having 300# in the back of their car most of the time. With my one 135# female newfie in the back, I don't see any problems with stepping out on 200-ish# springs and Kyb's… That said, without the dog, and a little goosing it pulling out of a corner, any bumps will get it to slightly "bounce" out… But thats not with a LSD.. I think it would be more predicable with the LSD ranter than the open dif.

I'll play around with it. I was given bad info on rate. Not huge deal. Will return them. However, no idea how the car will handle till I drive it... I'll then adjust it to my liking.

Springs will be temporary anyways (will switch to bags later).

Thanks again everyone!

That's what others have done. I have a spare set that haven't been modified if there is an issue.

Thanks,

I hope you have a spare set of Bilsteins too.

BentBilstein.jpg

I think you'll find it a lot easier to install the trailing arms on the rear end if you remove them from the body first. The trailing arm needs to be tipped to get it past the spacers on the rear end brackets.

They were next to impossible to get in due to the poly bushings. Trying juggle a rear ended while doing that, don't think I would of got them in.

Back