• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Serpentine Belt in 240

nice mod, looks good. I share the concerns about the belt wrap on the crank though, esp at hi rpm the belt could loose tension and slip.

So alternators work whichever way you turn them then? Looks cool.

yeah. Only the fan in the casing can be spinning the wrong direction, the whiteblock alternator that I have has an arrow on it so it has a preferred direction for the fan.

nice mod, looks good. I share the concerns about the belt wrap on the crank though, esp at hi rpm the belt could loose tension and slip.

yeah. Only the fan in the casing can be spinning the wrong direction, the whiteblock alternator that I have has an arrow on it so it has a preferred direction for the fan.

Mine is spinning the wrong way - don't know if that means it's pulling air in or out, but it works fine - since my motor sits sideways, the alt is facing forward - plenty of air flow over the casing. Capt Bondo said he ran one of these alternators backwards for some time with no charging issues.

Mine is spinning the wrong way - don't know if that means it's pulling air in or out, but it works fine - since my motor sits sideways, the alt is facing forward - plenty of air flow over the casing. Capt Bondo said he ran one of these alternators backwards for some time with no charging issues.

yeah i am sure the reverse direction doesn't give any problems. In the Bosch yellow manual on alternators they even state that the alternators with internal fan can spin both directions without changing the fan (as opposed to the classic alts with external fan found on 240/740).

Strange that Volvo put an arrow on the '99 S80 alt that I have though, probably has something to do with the one way clutch fitted to newer models, now that i think about it.

I'm actually going to change my previous "nice" comment to an "I love you".

i think this is very cool, but would someone enlighten me on why it is better to have one belt drive everything (note that this does not replace the timing belt) vs. multi-belt? seems to me on first thought that I can limp home without power-steering, AC, or even for a short way w/o alt... but without any of them, losing them all at once...?

I do love the look, and I think it is much cleaner for sure, I am just not sure about the practicality?

Serp belts are quieter and last a lot longer. Not sure what other benefits besides the fact that it looks awesome.

i think this is very cool, but would someone enlighten me on why it is better to have one belt drive everything (note that this does not replace the timing belt) vs. multi-belt? seems to me on first thought that I can limp home without power-steering, AC, or even for a short way w/o alt... but without any of them, losing them all at once...?

I do love the look, and I think it is much cleaner for sure, I am just not sure about the practicality?

Serpentine belt advantages:
-Ease of maintenance
-Beefier belts have more traction and are less prone to breakage
-Cleaner engine bay
-Takes up less space

If a kit were made and reasonably priced, I would buy it.

Serpentine belt advantages:
-Ease of maintenance
-Beefier belts have more traction and are less prone to breakage
-Cleaner engine bay
-Takes up less space

-Ease of maintenance

I hate having to remove all my other belts when the power-steering belt goes. Serp soooo much quicker to change.

Great idea on the change in belt direction. i haven't had any problems so far but the ac isn't working yet. it took three belts to get this one to fit so it will be a bit before i can re-rought.

Time for someone like yoshi to make a kit

Hope for someone to make kits someday

KL Racing makes a basic serp belt kit for B230. Includes new crank pulley, water pump pulley and alternator pulley. So no AC with that kit and can only work with alternator on the exhaust side, but still kinda neat since it's all bolt on and tensions via the alternator adjustment with no separate tensioner unit needed. KL kit is more geared towards light weight/racing applications, but seems worth mentioning in this thread :e-shrug:

A8-5-1.jpg

I like this set up. With a serpentine you still need to carry a spare just as with regular belts, and it's a lot easier to change a serpentine belt.

This is a neat option. Just got my cnc cutter.....maybe after a few projects get done I can work work with the origanl poster on brackets and what not.

Ok just got done with a little project ive been working on for the past couple of weeks. i wanted to run a newer style AC pump and alternator and i had all the accessories from a 95 850 so after a few trial and error came up with this set up.

first i had to machine the front pulley from the 850

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_6362.jpg

Got it

With a sketch of the crank pulley new holes, and a dimensioned sketch of the bracket, I could bust a run of these parts out for interested parties.

Cool undertaking.

This is a neat option. Just got my cnc cutter.....maybe after a few projects get done I can work work with the origanl poster on brackets and what not.

Come on Nathan, at the rate you get ish done by the time you were done typing that you already had a working prototype with several hundred miles on it and no issues. Oh and I will take one. Thanks.

Back