• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1031 rear end rebuild specs

volvorod85

Gonna throw a new gearset in my 1031 rear end and wondered if anyone has the specs...backlash for the ring gear, torque for the pinion gear nut...im gona be picking up new bearings and a new crush ring

Mark

Run the back lash toward the loose end of the range they give. Greenbook has 100% of the data you need as well as some HOW TO pics.

Pros say they run "street gears" in the .008-.010" range of backlash to avoid generation of heat. Now that pinion setup is another story.... cinch up your britches, you're in for some fun........

Hi, Y'all. It's been quite awhile but I'm finally ready to assemble my diff. The problem I'm running into is that I am finding discrepancies in all of the specs I'm finding everywhere. Dana 30 specs show 12-15 in/lb torsional movement on pinion while the pocket data book shows 21-30 in/lb for new bearings. Does anyone know the exact specs for a 1031 axle? My TrueTrac is ready to be buttoned up but I don't want to grind the gears all to hell the first time i drive it or smoke my bearings. HELP!! (please) BTW, it's in a 1992 240.

Last edited:
1031 pinion specs should match the 1041, but double check to confirm bearing set is the same. I've linked an early 960 1041 online spec set in a thread earlier this year.... can't remember if here OR in Performance. Search the webs, and otherwise find a green book for the 1031. You might also check the Anthony Hyde Volvo pages down under.... I think he details all the pinion specs.

wouldn't dana 30 be the same? o.p. look around they may sell a solid (crush) sleeve and shim kit they do for the 12 bolt way better than crushing those crush sleeves..... way better

wouldn't dana 30 be the same? o.p. look around they may sell a solid (crush) sleeve and shim kit they do for the 12 bolt way better than crushing those crush sleeves..... way better

I had a small solid sleeve made to replace the crush sleeve using hiperfauto's specs in another thread. Should make things a bit stronger.

I haven't gone digging for a torque spec on the pinion yet though.

Jordan

I believe that I've got a rear axle greenbook in my stash if it would be helpful to you.

... and just when I need it, k-jet.org is gone so the greenbook PDFs aren't there anymore. Argh!

Back