• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pegs or Polaris - YOUR FEEDBACK

scottn941

Subject: 940 Turbo, black on black. Need some advice. I've had silver 17" pegs before on a base S60, and I grew bored of them.. I think it might have had more to do with the size (I like 18s better) than anything. As you all know, IPD offers the peg in 17" only for us RWD owners in two variations of black (I'm slowly warming up to a non-silver wheel), but I have yet to see anyone on any of these forums post a pic of their vehicle with these installed. So tonight, I've been tossing this around, and would like to get your feedback:

1) Since I like 18" wheels better period, is it possible to just get IPD's Pegs made for the S60 and just throw on some 25mm spacers, or

2) Forget the Pegs & pay top $$ for a set of Polaris?

3) Will option #1 cause too much rubbing, and does the vehicle perform better with Polaris anyway?

4) My car is black. What would look the best? ALSO, ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS are welcome!!

Thanks for any advice.

I wonder if Polaris are cheaper in Europe? It seems like all the neat stuff for RWD is over there, except that there's probably more old Volvos over here! Maybe they are just more enthusiastic about their cars? How about some RWD pics of IPD Pegs.. Anyone out there??

^ Really? They look kinda gray-ish on IPD's site. How does the silver contrast to the gray on the 850 T5-R "Titans?" What would look better on a black car? My dad says the matte black looks too "teeny bopperish" LOL

Pegs or Polaris? Honestly, I think they're both way overdone and too common. Do something different. Maybe another OEM Volvo wheel in the size you like?

BoostedSwede - I do agree that they are both common, but the Polaris is scarce around these parts (you probably see a few more in MA). Besides the Hydras, Titans (basically the same as Pegs), and Polaris, Volvo doesn't really make many wheels that appeal to me. I'm currently running Heico Volution 5s on my S60R, and I just love them.. I would even consider a set for the 940, but the same wheel on two different cars is too monotonous. The one benefit with the Pegs, if I choose to go with option 1, is that I can swap wheels between the two cars if I ever wanted to. But that won't be the deciding factor; the wheel that flows the best with the design of the vehicle will.

Atlantis 18s, I believe?

I know where a few sets are. Here's one of them... 500, including good tires.

2466.jpg

^ Those are pretty cool. Good price too. Wonder what they look like on a 900? Regarding the BBS rims, they remind me too much of a C70 when I see them (the earlier C70s resembled the S70, which I always thought looked kind of nerdy with the small grille). I generally prefer bold 5 star or similar rim designs, but one exception would be the SuperDTM, LOVE the deep lip look, but which is virtually impossible to get here in the states.

Last edited:
Hey...I went through the same process when deciding on wheels for my black 940 wagon. I thought about the IPD RWD offset peg reps, butt hey weren't available at the time. Some people say eikers/polaris are played out...but yet I never see a volvo driving around with them. I built my car to appeal to what I think looks best, and I wanted a bolt on wheel hub centric wheel with no spacers...so I chose polaris. I like that they look sporty yet OEM, and I love the deep dish look. Here is the only pic I have for now of them on my wagon-

14744_321907215437_796130437_9514443_3466713_n.jpg

Hey...I went through the same process when deciding on wheels for my black 940 wagon. I thought about the IPD RWD offset peg reps, but they weren't available at the time. Some people say eikers/polaris are played out...but yet I never see a volvo driving around with them. I built my car to appeal to what I think looks best, and I wanted a bolt on wheel hub centric wheel with no spacers...so I chose polaris. I like that they look sporty yet OEM, and I love the deep dish look.

Heck, around here it's rare to even see a 940 sedan.. I may see a handful a week. I love the Polaris/Eikers on these cars, yours is super sharp with the SE kit... Anyway, the price for the Polaris is "in the stars" so to speak... about double what I can get a set of Pegs for. Ebay has some 5x108 rims, but I don't know jack about the rim industry to know what's good vs. what's junk, and there's some very attractive rims on there, but what am I getting? Such an investment also requires spacers, which will add to the cost. For example, I saw these, manufactured by "Edge Engineering," which, for $599, might be interesting on a black car, but without ever seeing them on a Volvo, it's an expensive gamble by the time I add tires...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-E...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5305wt_1167

Last edited:
i have volans and they look absolutely fantastic on my friends black 740 wagon. it gives the car a really updated look, it works really well, even in the stock gunmetal paint. you should be able to find those reasonably cheap, and they're volvo. (17")

Heck, around here it's rare to even see a 940 sedan.. I may see a handful a week. I love the Polaris/Eikers on these cars, yours is super sharp with the SE kit... Anyway, the price for the Polaris is "in the stars" so to speak... about double what I can get a set of Pegs for. Ebay has some 5x108 rims, but I don't know jack about the rim industry to know what's good vs. what's junk, and there's some very attractive rims on there, but what am I getting? Such an investment also requires spacers, which will add to the cost. For example, I saw these, manufactured by "Edge Engineering," which, for $599, might be interesting on a black car, but without ever seeing them on a Volvo, it's an expensive gamble by the time I add tires...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-E...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5305wt_1167

I actually bought a car just for the Polaris, and I will be reselling the car. You can find sets of the eikers from time to time for $1000 or less with tires. Thanks for the compliment, I love the look of the SE kit, I bought the kit before I even had a car to put it on, haha. Just my opinion, but I dont care for the multilug look of those ebay wheels, they look cheap to me. I prefer wheels that look like they could have been an OEM option, or something sick like BBS, CCW, HRE etc

i have volans and they look absolutely fantastic on my friends black 740 wagon. it gives the car a really updated look, it works really well, even in the stock gunmetal paint. you should be able to find those reasonably cheap, and they're volvo. (17")

Volans do look very good on 7/9 wagons

Back