home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
scottn941
Board Member

Default Pegs or Polaris - YOUR FEEDBACK

Subject: 940 Turbo, black on black. Need some advice. I've had silver 17" pegs before on a base S60, and I grew bored of them.. I think it might have had more to do with the size (I like 18s better) than anything. As you all know, IPD offers the peg in 17" only for us RWD owners in two variations of black (I'm slowly warming up to a non-silver wheel), but I have yet to see anyone on any of these forums post a pic of their vehicle with these installed. So tonight, I've been tossing this around, and would like to get your feedback:

1) Since I like 18" wheels better period, is it possible to just get IPD's Pegs made for the S60 and just throw on some 25mm spacers, or

2) Forget the Pegs & pay top $$ for a set of Polaris?

3) Will option #1 cause too much rubbing, and does the vehicle perform better with Polaris anyway?

4) My car is black. What would look the best? ALSO, ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS are welcome!!

Thanks for any advice.
scottn941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
speedn_j
Board Member

i'd say the pegs. they look make alot of things look good. the polaris are more for 240s'

2000 mb c230 kompressor
2000 ducati 748 45k miles
2004 jeep grand Cherokee overland
1994 Mercedes e320
speedn_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
nextproject
Board Member

polaris ftw. if only they werent so hard to find.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
scottn941
Board Member

I wonder if Polaris are cheaper in Europe? It seems like all the neat stuff for RWD is over there, except that there's probably more old Volvos over here! Maybe they are just more enthusiastic about their cars? How about some RWD pics of IPD Pegs.. Anyone out there??
Old 11-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

the "hyper black" ipd Pegs for the 240 are really just silver. the matte black ones are, obviously, matte black
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
scottn941
Board Member

^ Really? They look kinda gray-ish on IPD's site. How does the silver contrast to the gray on the 850 T5-R "Titans?" What would look better on a black car? My dad says the matte black looks too "teeny bopperish" LOL
Old 11-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
BoostedSwede
Masshole

Pegs or Polaris? Honestly, I think they're both way overdone and too common. Do something different. Maybe another OEM Volvo wheel in the size you like?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
scottn941
Board Member

BoostedSwede - I do agree that they are both common, but the Polaris is scarce around these parts (you probably see a few more in MA). Besides the Hydras, Titans (basically the same as Pegs), and Polaris, Volvo doesn't really make many wheels that appeal to me. I'm currently running Heico Volution 5s on my S60R, and I just love them.. I would even consider a set for the 940, but the same wheel on two different cars is too monotonous. The one benefit with the Pegs, if I choose to go with option 1, is that I can swap wheels between the two cars if I ever wanted to. But that won't be the deciding factor; the wheel that flows the best with the design of the vehicle will.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
SlowHo0ptie
vacuum leaks

propus or triton? BBS looks good on almost everything.

1981 242ti black...ish
2004 S60R
SlowHo0ptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
Korruption
Board Member

Atlantis 18s, I believe?

I know where a few sets are. Here's one of them... 500, including good tires.

Korruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
scottn941
Board Member

^ Those are pretty cool. Good price too. Wonder what they look like on a 900? Regarding the BBS rims, they remind me too much of a C70 when I see them (the earlier C70s resembled the S70, which I always thought looked kind of nerdy with the small grille). I generally prefer bold 5 star or similar rim designs, but one exception would be the SuperDTM, LOVE the deep lip look, but which is virtually impossible to get here in the states.

Last edited by scottn941; 11-12-2009 at 02:11 AM..
Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korruption View Post
Atlantis 18s, I believe?

I know where a few sets are. Here's one of them... 500, including good tires.

Yummy nebulas!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #13
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Nebulas are sooo hot, I have wanted them for a while for my wagon. Maybe i should try to trade my tethys or geminis for some...
Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
GSWAGON
my other ride is a exmark

Hey...I went through the same process when deciding on wheels for my black 940 wagon. I thought about the IPD RWD offset peg reps, butt hey weren't available at the time. Some people say eikers/polaris are played out...but yet I never see a volvo driving around with them. I built my car to appeal to what I think looks best, and I wanted a bolt on wheel hub centric wheel with no spacers...so I chose polaris. I like that they look sporty yet OEM, and I love the deep dish look. Here is the only pic I have for now of them on my wagon-

11 V50 R-Design Black/Black
12 Ram QCSB Hemi Black Express
15 Ram CCSB Hemi Max Steel 4x4

Life is short, so live it! You are only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
GSWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
Blackbrick
Grandpa

Look beyond OEM...

Blackbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
scottn941
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWAGON View Post
Hey...I went through the same process when deciding on wheels for my black 940 wagon. I thought about the IPD RWD offset peg reps, but they weren't available at the time. Some people say eikers/polaris are played out...but yet I never see a volvo driving around with them. I built my car to appeal to what I think looks best, and I wanted a bolt on wheel hub centric wheel with no spacers...so I chose polaris. I like that they look sporty yet OEM, and I love the deep dish look.
Heck, around here it's rare to even see a 940 sedan.. I may see a handful a week. I love the Polaris/Eikers on these cars, yours is super sharp with the SE kit... Anyway, the price for the Polaris is "in the stars" so to speak... about double what I can get a set of Pegs for. Ebay has some 5x108 rims, but I don't know jack about the rim industry to know what's good vs. what's junk, and there's some very attractive rims on there, but what am I getting? Such an investment also requires spacers, which will add to the cost. For example, I saw these, manufactured by "Edge Engineering," which, for $599, might be interesting on a black car, but without ever seeing them on a Volvo, it's an expensive gamble by the time I add tires...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Ed...ht_5305wt_1167

Last edited by scottn941; 11-12-2009 at 05:50 PM..
Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbrick View Post
Look beyond OEM...

funny thing, these look like OEM R32 wheels
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #18
slow240
Home Schooled

i have volans and they look absolutely fantastic on my friends black 740 wagon. it gives the car a really updated look, it works really well, even in the stock gunmetal paint. you should be able to find those reasonably cheap, and they're volvo. (17")
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #19
wagonfetish
extarordinaíre

the Ipd rwd peg replicas are nice, but weigh in around 28lbs a wheel
what can I say, except I'm a slave to fashion?

Brickspeed.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
... but when you're short fat and ugly, your mom dresses you funny, and you're living in the 'rent's basement buying a 245 can give you hope.
wagonfetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #20
GSWAGON
my other ride is a exmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn941 View Post
Heck, around here it's rare to even see a 940 sedan.. I may see a handful a week. I love the Polaris/Eikers on these cars, yours is super sharp with the SE kit... Anyway, the price for the Polaris is "in the stars" so to speak... about double what I can get a set of Pegs for. Ebay has some 5x108 rims, but I don't know jack about the rim industry to know what's good vs. what's junk, and there's some very attractive rims on there, but what am I getting? Such an investment also requires spacers, which will add to the cost. For example, I saw these, manufactured by "Edge Engineering," which, for $599, might be interesting on a black car, but without ever seeing them on a Volvo, it's an expensive gamble by the time I add tires...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Ed...ht_5305wt_1167
I actually bought a car just for the Polaris, and I will be reselling the car. You can find sets of the eikers from time to time for $1000 or less with tires. Thanks for the compliment, I love the look of the SE kit, I bought the kit before I even had a car to put it on, haha. Just my opinion, but I dont care for the multilug look of those ebay wheels, they look cheap to me. I prefer wheels that look like they could have been an OEM option, or something sick like BBS, CCW, HRE etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
i have volans and they look absolutely fantastic on my friends black 740 wagon. it gives the car a really updated look, it works really well, even in the stock gunmetal paint. you should be able to find those reasonably cheap, and they're volvo. (17")
Volans do look very good on 7/9 wagons
GSWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #21
GrandmaSideways
AW71AW71AW71 AW71AW71AW71

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn941 View Post
I wonder if Polaris are cheaper in Europe? It seems like all the neat stuff for RWD is over there, except that there's probably more old Volvos over here! Maybe they are just more enthusiastic about their cars? How about some RWD pics of IPD Pegs.. Anyone out there??
Hahaha, well anything is possible, Polaris, etc... Except you have to pay to ship it over here...

Personally, I think polaris are a little played out, though it's starting to grow on me. I certainly like them WAY better than the pegasus. 18" would be a nice change, too though.
Personally I can't leave well enough alone, I always change up my wheels. However I've recently decided on exactly what I want, and have a set of 18" BBS as well as a set of 17" Borbet Type A that I'll soon be running. BBS summer, borbet in the winter. Honestly, search for something unique. Unusual wheels are always the coolest! but if you're going to shell out HUGE cash for a set of something from Europe to be shipped, you're better off going to tunershop.com and getting EXACTLY what you want - just about everything they sell is available in our bolt pattern and offset, if you're not afraid to pay to play...
I too hate most multi lug wheels. some dark coloured 4 bolt wheels can pull it off, but those, no thanks...
GrandmaSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
Josh
WHITEGOLDTEETHNOFLOSS

i really think that the polaris wheels are just a 240 thing, and for some reason don't look good on 7/9 series cars, but the pegs look good on 7/9 series cars as well as 240's- kind of a "universal good looking wheel"
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
Clay
Board Member

Volans. I'd LOVE to get a set for my 940.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #24
gattigang
put you on ICE

Our choices are limited and I'm surprise nobody mentioned Comets. You mentioned black on black on your 940, the silver finish on these Comets are like no other and would work well with the color of your car. MO g@ttigang
PTE TA-49 turbo & ,adj. wastegate,adj. 3" Hi-flow cat, ultraflow muff.9" k&n filter, 60/65 lb.mototron injectors, heads pocket-ported 3 angle valve job, LT1 valve springs, 340 walbro fp. plenum spacer, 160 therm. 93 turbotweak chip, 3" LT1 Maf w/translato

ttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/bouncing2os.gif
gattigang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #25
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

I'm selling my 18" pegs. Check it out.

I've seen replica pegs next to real pegs and the reps look like ass compared to the real ones. Real ones have better transition where the spoke meets the rim, better looking center (reps have weird dish), better metal arguably, better looking R, theyre wider, and cooler center caps