• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Haha, I had this suspicion you were going to say that :rofl: I love that you did things your way throughout this car, instead of buying, you built. Respect. ;-)

Thanks for that. There is an 8v intake flange file around, though. I was going to have it water jet but it ended up being really pricey. PM your email and I can send the file to you.

I keep telling myself that eventually I'll be able to enjoy this car for more than a week at a time. I think that might be wishful thinking.

I was driving around town yesterday, when my center console filled with coolant. Neat. Heater core is done, and the car is apart again:

In the above picture you can also see some missing gauges. That's because I got a full set of SpeedHut gauges with a GPS speedo the other day. It'll take some work to fit them, but I think it'll end up being pretty sweet. Visually, they are nowhere near as cool as the GT gauges, but at least they'll work.

Before the heater core, I had a local shop weld up a 3" exhaust with these Magnaflows:

They mounted the tailpipe section with basically a solid mount to the body, so there's a bit of drone/vibration. I'll need to address that at some point. Overall, it sounds great. Kind of loud at idle, but pretty quiet when driving, even on hard acceleration.

That's it for now. Hopefully the heater core goes smoothly and I can get the gauges dialed in. Then I'll replace all the front engine seals that are leaking. Then T5.

I keep telling myself that eventually I'll be able to enjoy this car for more than a week at a time. I think that might be wishful thinking.

Haha. I always feel that way. I'm always nervous about starting the next phase in fear that I won't be able to get the car on the road for forever. Love your project. There has to be an end someday, right?

Haha. I always feel that way. I'm always nervous about starting the next phase in fear that I won't be able to get the car on the road for forever. Love your project. There has to be an end someday, right?

Exactly. I'm just afraid the eventual end is when I just lose interest entirely. I got really into fixing up my CB550 a couple years ago, dumped a bunch of money and time into it, and now it sits next the the Volvo in the rain and never gets ridden.

Nice ride! Will be interested to hear your feedback on the gauges. Wanting to do the same on my 245- GPS speedo particularly.

Thanks. I have the gauges installed. and everything is wired except the fuel sender. My sender is in bad shape anyway, so I'm in no hurry for that until I find a new sender.

Hopefully I'll have the new heater core and valve in this week and I can get some impressions on the gauges.

In for impressions on that speedometer as well. I'm hoping that it works out, my tablet gps speedo konked out a couple weeks ago and resulted in my first speeding ticket ever. I'm hoping that a promise to the judge that the car won't leave the garage til it's fixed might lighten the blow, but who knows.

The engine bay is starting to look pretty good. The longer I have it, the blacker things get:
140Details-0133.jpg

Had the intercooler pipes, pulleys, and valve cover powder coated:
140Details-0128.jpg

I also really must have wanted black bolts, because I got these stainless allens black oxide coated:
140Details-0155.jpg

Rigged up this TINY Denso style alternator. 75 amps ought to be good enough:
140Details-0101.jpg

Also, I think we should appreciate Noah's handy work here. Also shown is the helper spring to alleviate the way-too-light pedal:
140Details-0145.jpg

Here are those Speedhut gauges:
140Details-0151.jpg

The GPS takes longer than it should to acquire signal. I need to figure out if it's my antenna placement or what. I hooked up a hot wire so it's got constant power. That's supposed to help it pick up GPS quicker, but it still takes up to a minute. Once it links, it seems accurate.

I was able to run the dimmer in the same spot as the stock one, so that's cool. It's weird that the needles are on a separate circuit than the backlit faces, and you can't dim them. The needles are needlessly bright, IMO.

They also stay where they were when you cut power. This is kind of annoying, as the tach will say 900 rpm after you've turned the car off. Not sure why they chose to do that.

I also replaced the heater core, installed a NOS heater valve (thanks, Ian!), and replaced all the front engine seals with genuine Volvo ones. But that stuff doesn't really warrant a photo.

Looks great! I'm still on the fence about the gps speedometer, my drive to work has a few tight spots where even my phone agps speedometer hangs for a 1/4 mile stretch. It probably wouldn't bother me except that's right where the passing lane starts and exactly where I got popped for speeding. So keep and eye on it when you get into some tight canyon twistys.

Thanks!

I'll get some more time with the GPD speedo this weekend. I'll get up into the hills and let you know how it deals with the redwood canopy. I also want to mess around with the 0-60 and 1/4 mile timers that are built in. Seems like a good way to have some fun and/or break something.

Looks great! I'm still on the fence about the gps speedometer, my drive to work has a few tight spots where even my phone agps speedometer hangs for a 1/4 mile stretch. It probably wouldn't bother me except that's right where the passing lane starts and exactly where I got popped for speeding. So keep and eye on it when you get into some tight canyon twistys.

So I got some more driving in this weekend, and I saw the speedo drop out once. It was on a mountain road with fairly dense Eucalyptus trees, but I honestly didn't think it should have had an issue there. I didn't get a chance to get into the redwoods, but I'm pretty sure it will have even more trouble. I mounted the antenna box at the base of my driver's side a pillar, which seemed like a good enough spot. I may try just centering it on the front of the dash next.

Back