• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chewy's 80 242 Build

Most definitely want the quick steer kit. They'd quicken up the manual rack I have, while taking out bump steer. Gotta save the $$ for essentials at the moment. Once the car is running and reliable (and i have some cash), i can start doing those things.

Got a G80 to put in (because free), and modded the tone ring to work with LH 2.4 (non abs). This will have to do until I can snag ~500 + install for a true trac.

I plan to do the flywheight mod on the g80, and run it till it 'splodes.

I feel the pain, man :lol: Did not notice the G80 until after I posted. Definitely a good option when the Truetrac is out of reach (just snagged one after peglegging it for a year). I have read some stuff about increasing pre-load on them and modifying the flywheight to get them to behave more like a normal LSD but never got very far researching.

Nice progress...

Still have those 914 flares I sold you? I'm picking up another one this weekend if all goes as planned!

Yep! still on the shelf from a few years ago. I still want to hold onto them... Someday.
Glad to hear your back in the aircooled fold - done with volvos?

Craig Downs came over and gave me a hand with the engine R+R... everytime he shows up in his 914, it makes me want to finish mine again. Just $$$$ compared to Volvo dollars ($).

weld the weight,

Yep - thats the plan. Weld it down.
I take it you've had good luck with this mod?

I feel the pain, man :lol: Did not notice the G80 until after I posted. Definitely a good option when the Truetrac is out of reach (just snagged one after peglegging it for a year). I have read some stuff about increasing pre-load on them and modifying the flywheight to get them to behave more like a normal LSD but never got very far researching.

I've only gotten as far as flyweight mods. I'm not sure i've got any spare time to mod the insides before I need it in the car. Lots to do still.

Got quoted $250 + bearings ($50?) installed with axle in the car by a driveline shop. Oh Dana 30? piece of cake they said.

Yep! still on the shelf from a few years ago. I still want to hold onto them... Someday.
Glad to hear your back in the aircooled fold - done with volvos?

Craig Downs came over and gave me a hand with the engine R+R... everytime he shows up in his 914, it makes me want to finish mine again. Just $$$$ compared to Volvo dollars ($).

I've only gotten as far as flyweight mods. I'm not sure i've got any spare time to mod the insides before I need it in the car. Lots to do still.

Got quoted $250 + bearings ($50?) installed with axle in the car by a driveline shop. Oh Dana 30? piece of cake they said.

Still playing with the 242, I'm just scaling back on some of the crazy ideas I had for it....914 will remain more or less stock until the 242 is how I want it and then I might get modding on the 914.

Really?! Never seen anything under $700, as they have to reset lash when new bearings go in :-(

I personally have done neither but have been around some of the lemons guys running them. I used to prefer the option of reducing the weight on the shaft.

But after seeing the last g80 that failed because the tiny speed governor shaft broke, I think its better to weld it down into place that way it has more support and is likely to escape.

Really?! Never seen anything under $700, as they have to reset lash when new bearings go in :-(

Using same R/P, and just swapping in the G80. Hopefully, they can just shim it left to right, and not adjust pinion depth. (hopefully :) )

They didnt seem phased by a Dana 30... it's one of the easier ones to setup according to them.
-----

Made some minimal progress last night.
My dad got the G80 modded for a 12 tooth tone ring (from 48T ABS)
ZssgOBNl.jpg

Got the old clutch pedal and cable out of the way, swapped bushings on my hydro pedal and mocked up the M/C. Kinda takes a second person to install... kinda tight in there as well.
jSQT8xAl.jpg

And stock AC looks like a hack....
mqfds1El.jpg

Probably going to rebuild the blower unit and remove the AC altogether. I dont even have a compressor at the moment.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was home sick with a cold thats going around :(. I cant sit still so I made some progress.

Yanked the old AC condensor, drier, lines, and removed the passenger side firewall panel. It needs to get swapped for one without AC holes and one with the LH2.4 hole for the harness to pass through.

Got the clutch MC installed (by yourself is quite entertaining).
Got the clutch pedal swapped and hooked up to the MC. (Also entertaining to do without pulling the whole cluster)
8IT3o1hl.jpg

Aaaaand got the blower motor just about out of the car.
Ordered a heater core (all metal Spectra) and a new VDO blower motor.

I never want to see this much of the underdash ever again.

Going to steal the dash frame and passenger firewall panel from my 86 245 donor mobile... and then sent it to Valhalla :/

Little progress update.

Was on business travel for a week, and also kind of butthurt from getting a cease/desist letter from my HOA on auto repair.... so progress has been slow.

Got the whole dash out.
Got the HVAC assembly out of the car (what a pain).
Got a new VDO motor, and an all metal heater core to put in.
Also got a spare donor one for parts....
ExgbIgHl.jpg

The plan is to refurb it, and though I am not planning on AC right away, i've got a 93 r134a setup to install in it while it's out. Gives me the functionality to add it later without crazy disassembly.

Pulled the PS Access panel, to either add the hole for LH 2.4 harness to pass through, or steal one from a donor.
WAf1IYkl.jpg

Speaking of donors... the 86 is getting gutted this saturday. Uncle is using the motor for his duett or for his new 122S, and I need the dash framework for my swap.
Kinda sad.. this car brought me home from the hospital as a newborn. Sentimentality is real LOL. (yes i was born in 86)
uBfhO6X.png

Nice progress and upgrades on that 242. My 84 is still sleeping in my shop....waiting for me to finish the projects in front of it.

Curious about your experiences with that 1 pc. driveshaft behind the T5. Reading threads on TB since 2010, and it doesn't seem like the most trouble free solution, albeit a simple one. I am curious to see that Mustang X-member installed, as I've got to fit a T5 to my 242 as well.

I love that dark green, one of my favorite colors (reminiscent of the British "Racing Green").

Regarding the ford 1 pc driveshaft and yoshifab adapter, I haven't had an issue. I'm not slammed in ride height, and I have an adjustable panhard bar to center the axle and driveshaft in the tunnel. No rubbing, no issues. I like it. ..very simple solution.

No rubs, no new vibration

The second donor car I have gave its life yesterday. Got some pieces I needeed (Dash, HVAC system, oil psi gauge/sender, speedo harness, etc) and my uncle took the whole drivetrain to stuff into his duett.

Godspeed "granny". May your steel be smelted and formed into new volvos.

FPnRL8Tl.jpg

K6NSbiel.jpg

Made a little progress last night.

Measured and marked the 940T downpipe. I need to section out about a 3/4" to clear firewall with space. Hope to cut and weld it this week.

Installed the Passenger Side firewall panel I stole from the 86 wagon. This has the large hole for the LH harness to run through, unlike the K Jet Panel.

Swapped an IPD 22 rear sway for a 25mm that I got a deal on. 22 is for sale...
EtgtJDHl.jpg

Drilled a large hole (5") for the stock airbox (gag me... smog requirement) snorkel into the inner fenderwell. Still going to take some massaging to get everything to fit. Groan...
l9AyHHZl.jpg

SJdVzTZl.jpg

Looking good. I didn't realize you'd need to drill a hole in the inner fender for the 940T airbox, but it makes sense. I thought there was some way to modify only the airbox to make it work in a 240 without cutting. Maybe not. Others with more experience can chime in.

Carry on!

It's got a 3" long snorkel or so that needs to protrude through...so it can breathe from somewhere.

It's still too big, and the freaking air box to turbo suction side hose isnt long enough....
will need to splice that hose somehow.

So much fun.

Yep. I reached out to JohnMc and he said the PO had done it before he got the car.

Some heat had been applied and reshaping of the box had taken place.
I think I'm going to section out an inch of the box to lower it some and jbweld it back together. In the end, it's just styrene....(and more work)

Thanks for diggin up the info though.

Some semblance of progress yesterday.

Out of 3 blower units, made one good one. (E pluribus unum blower)
cxHJHVsl.jpg

New heater core, new siemens VDO motor... new hoses. Hopefully i never have to see this thing ever again.
Added an R134a unit to it (because I had it), so adding AC in the future will be easy.

New core
YFOmu2jl.jpg

Also got around to swapping the dash frames from my 86 to the 80 to update the dash. Ran into a problem under the column.
DQD59ajl.jpg

Turns out, later columns are different than early columns, but not a ton different in the frame. Had to reuse the old frame under the column (note the width of column supports), and drill an extra hole to match the later piece.

Dash work is such a pain in the ass. :/

Hopefully I can mod the 940 downpipe today, and finish installing the vacuum lines for the dash.

Did some digging in the boxes of volvo parts my dad gave me.
I ID'd my 2 LH 2.4 harnesses
91 CA LH 2.4 (Has EGR)
91 Federal LH 2.4

VNGku4kl.jpg

Unfortunately, the EGR is something I need... but the cable is kind of crunchy. :/

Last edited:
940T downpipe modded...

I sectioned out 3/4" in front of the 02 sensor to keep the pipe out of the firewall.
c4kiKZZl.jpg

Shorter...
SHvYp89l.jpg

Clears firewall easily now.
Ve4VlfLl.jpg

Started hacking up the floor of the 940 airbox. Ordered some ABS sheet to glue in. Trying to get the box to sit as low as possible,and look as stock as possible from the engine bay side.
trP2BiYl.jpg

Made some more progress tonight.

Did a continuity test on my 91 CA lh 2.4 harness. Pinned out 100%.
Got it through the firewall, and roughly where it needs to go. Getting close!

Built my clutch hose. -3AN x 36" (could have been 30"), to m12 banjo fittings on the master and slave. Buddy came over and we bled it.
Unfortunately, it appears i needed to shim the pivot? Or my rod is too short. The piston pretty much comes out of the cylinder at full depression.
8fjijhfl.jpg

Also picked up an m14x1.5 to 1/8 npt adapter. Installed my oil pressure dual sender to run an auxiliary gauge.
kY7Lklvl.jpg

Back