• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another Brick in the wall...

Roffeman

...never heard that before, huh?

My wife got a low mileage super nice PT Cruiser and we thought that would be a perfect car for her as the Volvo V70 she was using is getting up there in miles. The good news: I got the nice V70 we have owned since it was a year old.

Well, it did not take long before she figured out that the middle age of PT drivers is about?89?or older. It is a serious old folk mobile! So she wanted her Volvo back!!

So we sold the PT and put her back in the Volvo V70. What about me then? What am I supposed to drive for the soggy Seattle winter?

I have a 122S wagon and it is a decent commuter but no way am I going to expose it to crappy wet winter weather. So I went on the hunt for another dependable winter driver.

My friend and president of the local Volvo club Gary mentioned in passing that he is picking up a new Volvo in Sweden. I just remembered that he had a super nice Volvo 245DL wagon. Mmmmm?One thing led to another and i talked him out of it.

Introducing Helga:

Volvo-245DL-Helga.jpg

Volvo-245DL-wagon-side.jpg

The original paint is still in excellent shape. The car has has no rust?ever.

Volvo-245DL-wagon-rear.jpg

You Volvo aficionados will spot the optional chrome roof rack and the trailer hitch. Also, the turbine wheels only came stock on the GL cars but they look great on this car.

Volvo-245DL-rear-seat.jpg

These seat covers looks kinda nerdy until you remove them and?

Volvo-245DL-wagon-rear-seat.jpg

? find square meters of fine Swedish Nagahyde in perfect condition.

Swedish Nagahyde is harvested in the deep Swedish forrest in the fall. The leaf from the same trees are dried and ground up and later smoked resulting in funny Swedes partying in the woods. But that is a different subject.

Volvo-245DL-dash-cover.jpg

These dash covers are kinda nerdy until?

Volvo-245DL-dash-perfect.jpg

?you remove it and find a perfect 34 year old Volvo dash panel. Gotta love that!

Volvo-245DL-GT-steering-wheel.jpg

The stock truck steering wheels on this model is a huge ugly thing so the GT steeing wheel is a nice addition. 4 speed OD makes it a joy to drive.

This is the short version of the list Gary compiled to ?help? sell the car:

Volvo floor mats, IPD cargo mat, dash cover, new front seat belts, Volvo GT steering wheel, rebuilt speedometer with tachometer, coin tray, Chrome roof rack, Wolfe car cover, new windshield, new master brake cylinder, front calipers, front, rear disc brake pads and fluid, new sparks plugs, injector seals, fan belts, water pump, timing belt, and thermostat, recent new heater core, switch and fan motor, IPD front and rear sway bars, KYB rear gas shocks, new rear coil springs, recent clutch assembly, recent rear suspension trailing arm bushings, recent new exhaust manifold, header pipe and exhaust system, radiator, oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles since 1978.

Duh?I think he had me at floor mats!

Future plans are to continue Gary?s work and do some cosmetic upgrades. The wiring for the rear hatch needs to be replaced and Gary supplied the wiring as well. Also, the head lights will be replaced with 5 3/4 Hella H4 e-codes and they will run on the ignition as I prefer to run lights day and night.

IMG_1273-1024x682.jpg

It will have a good home.

Bag it, now.

Just kidding. Woweeeweeewow, that thing is in amazing shape. With the purchase of a great 245, comes great responsibility. Take care of her.

Last edited:
A couple of things. 1-I want your garage! 2-Wow! What a nice car! & 3- What are those lights on the rear quarter called, just clearance lights? 4-Again, nice work!

3- What are those lights on the rear quarter called, just clearance lights? 4-Again, nice work!

I think just side marker lights. They were obsoleted when Volvo started to wrap the tail light around the corner. I grew up in Sweden and they are nostalgic to me as we did not get them. They were the hottest thing you could have. Just like you guys and your e-codes.;-)

Speaking of...I have them set up so they are interrupted the blinkers, kinda like a 80's GM car.

Just another way to be noticed when changing lanes in Seattle rush hour traffic.

Last edited:
I think just side marker lights. They were obsoleted when Volvo started to wrap the tail light around the corner. I grew up in Sweden and they are nostalgic to me as we did not get them. They were the hottest thing you could have. Just like you guys and your e-codes.;-)

Yes we did get them, 77-80 wagons and 77-78 sedans.

To OP; amazing car you've got there!

Awesome car, I want a early 245 just like that.Well with the addition of 7" Single rounds and a flathood. Go find something else to beat up on for the winter! :-D

Speaking of...I have them set up so they are interrupted the blinkers, kinda like a 80's GM car.

Just another way to be noticed when changing lanes in Seattle rush hour traffic.

Thanks! Right or wrong, I want some!

Back