• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Shifter hitting driveshaft

bmdubya1198

I just FINALLY got my 740 to move under its own power after nearly 6 months of sitting. I'm not happy with how long this all took (should have been under 2 months) but there's nothing I can do about that now. The one problem I'm having here is that the bottom of the shifter is rubbing the giubo/flex disk on the driveshaft.

I really should have swapped the shifter cage before putting this new to me M46 in (my old one had better bushings), but I don't think I can do much about that now. I've read that it's easy to bend it when lifting the transmission on a floor jack (which is what I did) and although that could have happened, I think the bushings may just be shot.
There is a lot of up and down play in the cage when moving the shifter, so that could definitely pose a problem.

Is there anything I can do to get the shifter moved up and away from the driveshaft without removing the trans again? I'd really like to avoid doing that at all cost. I've heard of using washers on the cage bolts, which I may try because I'm pretty sure I can access those bolts with the trans in the car.

Just remove the transmission cross member bolts from the frame and tilt the engine/transmission down in the back using a floor jack under the cross member. That will give you enough access to the bolts that attach the shifter cage.

Just remove the transmission cross member bolts from the frame and tilt the engine/transmission down in the back using a floor jack under the cross member. That will give you enough access to the bolts that attach the shifter cage.

That's what I thought. Shouldn't be too hard to get to.

Might take a look tomorrow. Thanks!

Yes, I have a giubo. Bolts should be in correctly.

I ended up swapping the shifter cage yesterday and the one I had in there was clearly bent. Now there is an acceptable amount of room between the giubo and the bottom of the shifter!
For some reason the shifter itself was bent too, so when I put it into reverse the knob hits the dash (and if I had the radio in place, it would smash the radio in 1st and 3rd). Fortunately I had another one that came with this transmission, so that solved that problem.

Good tip on removing the dizzy. It's very easy to smash it when tilting the engine!

Back