• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 What is wrong with my Shift light?

Jacobpockros

I have owned my 1988 244 m47 for almost a year now and the shift light in the cluster has never come on. Just a few days ago, I decided to order a replacement shift light relay to see if it's the problem. Just got the relay in the mail today and put it in. The light still does not come on, not even when I turn the key to one notch where all of the other dash lights illuminate.

Since the relay I just put in was used, do you guys think that it's just faulty? Or could there be another issue that's preventing it from lighting up? All of my dash bulbs are new.

Last edited:
since when did M47's have shift lights? Are you talking about a Overdrive light? M46's had an over drive light to let you know that you were in OD..

since when did M47's have shift lights? Are you talking about a Overdrive light? M46's had an over drive light to let you know that you were in OD..

That's what I was thinking but looking in an 86' owner's manual there is a shift light. Looking through the diagrams now.

The shift light is supposed to come on when ever your driving and the computers think its time to shift up. For me, thats when ever I even touch the clutch pedal(but never any other time). I think there's a button down there you should look for. Also, I can't remember where, but when ever the battery is disconnected, your supposed to run for 15+ seconds in each gear until the light blinks twice. that way its programmed correctly.

i can't find it in chilton's but i'll see about a better diagram tomorrow. probably about as easy to get under there with a meter and chase it back from the light. see where the power is not coming from.

I drove it through all of the gears and still no light. I guess I'm going to have to take the cluster out tomorrow and check the connection. I don't know what else it could be beyond that...

I drove it through all of the gears and still no light. I guess I'm going to have to take the cluster out tomorrow and check the connection. I don't know what else it could be beyond that...

here's the "old THREAD" on programming the lamp...
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=181698

you'll have to grab the appropriate "wiring diagram" to help you trace the circuits

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=207465
read and heed the proscriptions in POST #1
scroll down to POST #19 and follow directions

teh shift light sucks... it comes on way too early; around 2.5K
and it's colored like a warning light and stays on until you shift.

so... your cluster probably doesn't have a light bulb in that spot or
the wire is disconnected.

also, I seriously doubt that tiny little light bulb needs a relay to work
post a pic of the relay you bought

teh shift light sucks... it comes on way too early; around 2.5K
and it's colored like a warning light and stays on until you shift.

so... your cluster probably doesn't have a light bulb in that spot or
the wire is disconnected.

also, I seriously doubt that tiny little light bulb needs a relay to work
post a pic of the relay you bought

No it definitely requires a relay: http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=1323998

Also, I do have all new cluster bulbs installed including that one.

UPDATE:

Pulled the cluster out, checked the wiring, and it all looked fine. I really want to get this thing working and I'm all out of ideas. The next thing I'll try though is to replace my replacement relay to see if maybe I was just having a bad string of luck.

UPDATE:
Pulled the cluster out, checked the wiring, and it all looked fine. I really want to get this thing working and I'm all out of ideas. The next thing I'll try though is to replace my replacement relay to see if maybe I was just having a bad string of luck.

you installed a USED RELAY and *ASSUMED* it was good....

you've pulled the cluster and the wiring looks GOOD.....

DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT WIRING DIAGRAM AND THEN START DOING ACTUAL VOLTAGE
AND RESISTANCE TESTS (back-probing when needed)..it is *THE* PRO way to go
about it....:oogle:

it IS TRIGGERED by the COMPUTER...this is NOT a "mission critical"
device....unless you're going for a "100 point Restoration for Pebble Beach Con-coarse
Day Elly gaunts" ...live and let it be....
a *NOTORIOUS FAILURE MODE* if the lamp computer

see:
http://www.turbobricks.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1668933

Last edited:
Now you have me interested. ive got a 244 m46 with the SIL light and i cant even find the "relay" volvo is showing in the wiring diagrams in the bently manual.. Should be right above where the pedals mount. Searched hi and lo and haven't seen it yet.:-( Keep this thread goin cause id like to find out what the prob. turns out to be. Although im really not interested in being told to shift at 2300 rpm:lol: I honestly think i could get out and walk beside my car in 3rd gear at 2300rpm.:rofl:

I can't really tell where that relay should be with that link... but really a big ol' relay for a half watt bulb????:wtf:

super quick "Ninja" edit:

I KNOW there is NOT a relay 'cause it would be clickin' like a MoFo whenever I drove around because I took the bulb out the day I got my beloved wagon... Halloween of 2000!

Last edited:
I can't really tell where that relay should be with that link... but really a big ol' relay for a half watt bulb????:wtf:

super quick "Ninja" edit:

I KNOW there is NOT a relay 'cause it would be clickin' like a MoFo whenever I drove around because I took the bulb out the day I got my beloved wagon... Halloween of 2000!

The relay is located above the driver's left kick panel on the north end.

All the shift light does for a manual is to tell you to go to a higher gear for fuel economy. IMO it's not worth the trouble to fix unless you have trouble finding which gear you're in. ;-)

Back