• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 What size carrier bearing?

940wagon

Hello,

I have a 95' NA 945. Center carrier bearing needs replacing. What can I measure (without removing the driveshaft) to find out what carrier bearing I need? I've found conflicting information on what models/years came with what sizes, and IPD and FCP have not been much help other than the online system saying that they ALL will fit.

Thanks in advance.

They all will not fit!

There were at least 3 different sizes. I know because I bought all three before one fit.

I would suggest that you check with Tasco online or via phone. They can look up the part based on the VINumber.

I would just have all three on hand and return the ones that are wrong. Something about measuring yoke or driveshaft diameter comes to mind, but can't say for sure.

Fcp has this one:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-drive-shaft-center-support-bearing-183265-2

Says it fits 50.8 mm driveshaft and also gives id, od of the bearing itself.

I would wrap a string around the driveshaft and measure it. Do the math and you'll know if it will fit. Or if you have the bearing off measure the diameter.

Also it fcp seems to only show type 3 driveshaft for your car. If memory serves these had 2 u joints not 3 like some other types.

Hope that helps

Fcp has this one:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-drive-shaft-center-support-bearing-183265-2

Says it fits 50.8 mm driveshaft and also gives id, od of the bearing itself.

I would wrap a string around the driveshaft and measure it. Do the math and you'll know if it will fit. Or if you have the bearing off measure the diameter.

Also it fcp seems to only show type 3 driveshaft for your car. If memory serves these had 2 u joints not 3 like some other types.

Hope that helps

Yeah I did see that. Looks like I'll just have to take some bolts off and start measuring, or I guess your saying that I can measure the shaft itself while it's on the car to get the size. Sweet.

Not sure what you mean, 2 u-joints in that it is a one piece driveshaft? It has 3 u-joints, as it would have to being a 2-piece driveshaft.

With the 2 series, there are only two different sizes and the rule of thumb is that the wagons, turbos, and 6 cylinder cars have the larger one. All of the N/A 4 cylinder sedans/coupes have the smaller size. Not sure what good that does for you though

Yeah you can measure the circumference and get the diameter from that. Maybe even wrap a piece of painters tape around the prop shaft and mark it, probably more accurate than holding a piece of line.

My driveshaft was a type 3: it's a 2 part driveshaft and has 2 u joints. And yes, I looked and some rwd volvos did come with 3 u joint driveshafts. Might give you a better idea that your getting the right part if you count the u joints.

Other probably have better ideas however.

Hope this helps

some rwd volvos did come with 3 u joint driveshafts.
If this is what you mean by "3 u joint driveshafts" then yes. That's a u-joint on both the transmission and the differential as well as just after the carrier bearing. Very common and what most of the RWD volvo's had. (Save for some tractors/trucks etc...you know what I mean)
5cd0d883-7a57-41b4-963d-a5a67a2effd9.png

Last edited:
I would suggest that you check with Tasco online or via phone. They can look up the part based on the VINumber.

That's what I did when I did the bearing on my 240 wagon. Gave my local dealer the VIN and I was all set. The bearing was also very reasonably priced from the dealer as I recall.

Used some calipers to measure the front half of the driveshalf. I measured 50.9, and the bearing is supposed to be 50.8, I'll chalk up that extra .1 to dirt/grime/coating, so I'm gunna go with that one from FCP and it better work!

Back