• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aw71 shift points

Murploid1

Hello,

Car: 82 244 turbo, AW71 transmission

Is there a way or why would shift points change in my AW71?

Last week at WOT in 1st gear and beyond it would change at 6,000rpm.

This week WOT 1st gear it changes gear at 5500rpm. I haven't changed anything. Its probably 10 degrees cooler outside that's about it.

Why would it do that?

I'm not sure, but I don't think you're making any extra juice with those extra 500 revs. What cam?

Have you tested the behavior after a good amount of driving (say half an hour or more?)

My AW70 shifts differently depending on whether the fluid is cold or not. Colder weather could make it take longer to get up to temp.

Have you tested the behavior after a good amount of driving (say half an hour or more?)

My AW70 shifts differently depending on whether the fluid is cold or not. Colder weather could make it take longer to get up to temp.

I was wondering about that, hence I made reference to the colder weather.

Car was only driven for around 15 mins..

Will assess again another day on a longer drive.

I was wondering about that, hence I made reference to the colder weather.

Car was only driven for around 15 mins..

Will assess again another day on a longer drive.

I will say your behavior is different from mine. Mine won't go into 4th unless sufficiently warmed up, whereas yours seems to change gears more easily.

I'm probably due for a full fluid change though...

I will say your behavior is different from mine. Mine won't go into 4th unless sufficiently warmed up, whereas yours seems to change gears more easily.

I'm probably due for a full fluid change though...

Yes, my AW71 was out recently for some work, fluids were all changed. Changes gear very easily...

Kick-down cable needs adjusting.

Was wondering about that...

Cable is only months old, not sure why it would need adjusting.

Not even sure how to do that, cant seem to manage to loosen the bolts without getting to the point of damaging them...

I initially suspected timing, but checked the cam gear and nothing moved. Tried adjusting ignition timing but that didn't help either. I guess the kick-down cable is the way to adjust it.

Back