• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine fitment issues!

TurboDenny

Why am I here?
I've just resealed my B230 in preparation to +t. After sitting the engine in it seems to sit too far back against the firewall. I can get a fingertip between the valve cover and firewall. None of the factory intercooler piping is lining up either. I did install Yoshifab engine mounts, and am using his T5 crossmember as well. Any ideas, or is it sitting correctly?

You have a T5 in the car? Whats the driveshaft angle look like? is the transmission too high/low?

This is prolly why. See photo.
The trans mount is allowing the whole engine/trans assembly to shift backward. The reason is the mount is vertical instead of at an angle like it was originally.
It can be cured. You can probably move it back by loosening the mounts, reposition the motor more forward, then tighten up the trans mount first, then the engine mounts. It might stay then. But maybe not.
Dave B

Attachments

• crossmemb-030213.jpg
    crossmemb-030213.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 156
My guess is Yoshifab motor mounts are thicker then stock. Are they? The whole motor moving back does not make sense to me if the motor is attached with motor mounts from each side of the motor? 740's use flat tranny mounts for the auto and the m46 and the m90. No problems with those.

THicker motor mounts would make the motor up more in the front then the back and make the back of the head closer to the firewall and it would tilt the motor backwards putting more strain on that tranny mount making it bend back a bit like in the picture.

Also you took motor out and then resealed it and the only thing you changed relating to motor placement in the chassis is the motor mounts, then the motor mounts are the problem....

This messes with your whole pinion angle drive shaft vibrations also, worse if you went single drive line probabbsly.

Pics of motor mounts needed..... How about pics of yosifab motor mounts next to stock ones??

I have done a bunch of custom this motor in this old jalopy deals and the number one thing is the motor should be flat front to rear. A little back tilt might be okay, not much..

Last edited:
The 240 radiator / intercooler package sits further away from the engine than the 7 / 900 cars (needing somewhat longer hoses)
The engine / cylinderhead should be about 10-20mm away from the rear wall of the engine compartment so this looks OK.

YS
Jaybee

740's use flat tranny mounts for the auto and the m46 and the m90. No problems with those.

740s don't use an angled mount under the engine. Big difference. Don't compare that to a 240.

The angle of the engine mounts on your car allow the motor to move backward unless there's something to push forward to equalize it. A vertical T5 mount offers little in the way of pushing forward.

This is the reason why I had this built several years ago.

Although it would be better with a shorter mount. Maybe a normal Volvo trans mount.

Attachments

• crossmemb-030213-01.jpg
    crossmemb-030213-01.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 129
  • crossmemb-030213-05.jpg
    crossmemb-030213-05.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 125
I think Dave is correct. The factory engine mount were drooping to the rear quite a bit, and the Yoshifab mounts helped correct this a bit, but even they sag a little. I'm going to Fab up a mount similar to what Dave pictured and hopefully cure the issue.

Back