• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Trying to fit as much tire as possible...'79 242

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
Hi fellow brickers, its been a long time since I posted here... my 740T rusted beyond repair and I was outta the RWD cars for a bit, got A v50T5 awd and modded that for a bit. I'm back with a 1979 242 that is getting the engine from my 740T. I'm gonna do a project thread so I will spare the details till then. First mod is R brakes, have almost all the parts now and I want to fit serious tires over them. Only waiting on STS adapters and rims/tires. Rims are 18x8 in front, 18x9 in the rear.

What needs to happen to get 285/30-18 tires back there? is rolling fenders enough? Currently the rear spacers are 25mm, rims would be 45mm offset.

Was going to attach pic of car, but apparently Photobucket is a raging sack of rotting feces these days.. sorry, I'm old haha. I will start a project thread soon with an alternative photo host (what is good?)
Thanks!

I should say I dont mind cutting, rolling fenders, getting difft spacers, just want to know what I'm getting into so I dont get stranded at the shop.

285s will require pulling fenders. No way you can get away with just trimming or rolling fender lips. Max you can fit with just trimming is 245.

+2. But with some content. ;-)

I'd aim for about 7mm offset on a 9" wheel on the rear with 285s. 10mm might be OK. 5mm should be safe.

Definitely should pull the rear quarters and trim/square up the roof of the inner wheel well. Here's an 18x9.5 with 285/30. I just placed the wheel in the opening, with the axle supported by a jack stand, and then lowered the car down on the tire. Quarters pulled 1.5" (measured at the top of the mudflap). Fender was probably touching tire, but it's not impossible to clearance the quarters around the tire at that height. I actually built supports at one point to wedge in above the tire to bump the panel out just a little bit.

127020490.jpg

(note: these were not my wheels so I never actually bolted them to the car. I just stuck one under the car to take a picture)

Blocks of wood, checking fit with the 275/45/16 on 16x9.5 ET0.

126604999.jpg

Support tubes added above the tire (245 street tire shown) and at the rear, now that the inner panel is cut away and no longer there to support the outer panel:

126634275.jpg

Dam, I guess I didnt subscribe to this thread, how did I miss those pics?! Thanks towerymt, very helpful pics. I trimmed it and my 245/40-17s still crunch over bumps, beat up stock springs still in there though. Going to do a four link so don't feel like wasting $ replacing them.

Back