• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2001 C70 Downpipe replacement Now with WTF IPD???? (Now with tuning content)

5 cylinder drone is pretty normal with a full exhaust. Some folks on the interwebs claim adding a bottle resonator will help.

That makes sense.

It's funny when you get on it the manifold note is the overwhelming sound - same as with the OEM exhaust, the new one doesn't compete with it at all. The R manifold makes it that much better - and I LOVE that sound.

The drone on the other hand is pretty annoying, but like I said maybe I'll get used to it. :e-shrug:

I actually think that there is a bottle resonator in that exhaust isn't there?

Man, cut that **** off and dump it straight out of the downpipe like all the sloppy mechanic kids do!

I've got a single magniflow on my red wagon that I quite like. It's quiet enough and doesn't drone. The five cylinder may just inherently drone at certain rpm. Idk. Turn the radio up more? I guess there is only so loud one can listen to npr though.

I've heard a few different setups with some drone, but not all. Gwen's R had a Sebring cat-back that the PO installed. VERY nice, mandrel bent system that sounded VERY close to stock, dual mufflers, no drone whatsoever. I've got just a single Magnaflow 18" on my wagon, a little loud, doesn't drone at cruising speeds though. Thinking about adding a resonator in the test-pipe just to tone it down a tiny bit.

As for Hilton, I got mine from him just a few months ago. Longest wait I had was a couple days between emails, even when he sent mail with the tune. Given you're pretty much stock for a stage 1 spec or maybe a stage 2, should be pretty easy for him to get you setup I'd venture to guess.

Ya based on the notes on his site Stage 2 sounds about right.

Definitely needs a tune - the car seems a bit confused after the new exhaust.

The R didn't seem too bad with the exhaust. Overall it did really well on a stock tune, but I know there was a LOT more to be had and it would have been happier with a tune, just never got to it. That car for being a stock tune with all the usual bolt-on's was pretty damned quick for being at stock boost levels, would give my wagon a run for it at 16psi. Dunno if Logan has thrown a tune on it yet, should easily crack the 300 mark without trying. lol

Yeah, some days I do miss that car, except for the rattles. lol

My 850 had some drone while highway cruising with the OBX downpipe and exhaust. It was also a bit on the noisy side all of the time.

My V70R has a Revolv catted downpipe and IPD cat-back. I also find it a bit on the noisy side.

My C30 had a Elevate downpipe mated to the factory exhaust. This was my favorite sounding combo. It produced a nice growl when I put my foot down, but was very civilized sounding otherwise.

Last edited:
Ya based on the notes on his site Stage 2 sounds about right.

Definitely needs a tune - the car seems a bit confused after the new exhaust.

Yeah, it will probably take the computer time to learn what's going on.

After the tune you'll probably be able to spin your front wheels in third gear.

Last edited:
Yeah, it will probably take the computer time to learn what's going on.

After the tune you'll probably be able to spin your front wheels in third gear.

I don't need it to do anything too exciting. The car is pretty fun to begin with. The original motor was replaced at 60K after an oil line broke on the previous owner and she lost the motor. Sold the car to a sports specialty dealership that put in an S60 T5 motor with 30K on it so that bumped stock HP on the C70 up around 10HP. Added the R manifold a while back and now the new exhaust so it's pretty fun.

I'm expecting a tune to maximize the new exhaust so it's a bit more comfortable - like I said the car seems to have trouble figuring out what to do with the new power-band, or maybe that's me :)

It's okay. My car hasn't blown up yet. I think there are some rough spots that need attention.

I have e-mailed Hilton about having my stage 2 tune redone with logs from the software he provides, but he's never replied.

Wanted to update this. Hilton did get back to me with information on how to log with his software. He also provided a new tune based on initial logs.

Hilton definitely went above and beyond when my car had a major freak out after loading the new tune. I don't know why the car freaked out. I suspect now that even with a charger on the car maybe it was just too cold to maintain the necessary voltage for the ECU. Anyways,. He worked with me for 2-3 hours to recover the ECU and readapt the throttle body.

I'm expecting a tune to maximize the new exhaust so it's a bit more comfortable - like I said the car seems to have trouble figuring out what to do with the new power-band, or maybe that's me :)

The tune will be a night and day difference. Stock turbo manual P80 is a dog.

The tune will be a night and day difference. Stock turbo manual P80 is a dog.

Not mine :e-shrug: It's pretty fun actually.

But I don't disagree that the tune will make a huuuuuuuge difference.

Heard back from him a couple weeks ago. Next spare $450 heads his way. :wave:

So a minor footnote to my earlier customer service bitching issues.

Ordered a pressure boost solenoid from FCP - who royally screwed up the order, shipping it to some unknown address, then getting it confused with something else, told me it would arrive at such and such a date then suddenly refunded my money because the part was returned.

Long story short the cust service rep was great did his best, and told me today "Hey we just went ahead and shipped this to you free of charge - sorry for the confusion".

Granted it was a fairly inexpensive part but that was such a different experience from the IPD "Well it's your fault for ordering it from us - it should have worked, we have lots of satisfied customers..." type BS.

...plus the Trump thread is closed and this is the only place I can come to bitch about things for the moment. :-P

Oh that's just hilarious. That car has already been manual swapped, couldn't smog, so back to auto. Should be awesome with a legit tune and a manual in it (again). lol

Final update after 8 months - I'm pretty happy with it overall. Any "annoyance" with tone has gone away, maybe it "broke in" maybe it "broke me in".

Decent product - would probably recommend with a few of the noted caveats.

Back