• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Engine Mount Cables

dbarton

Dejected by Volvo Corp.
Put these on with new mounts about a month ago. Will they last or will they explode?
3/16 inch galvanized cable.
Dave B.

Attachments

• 240mountleftcable01med.jpg
    240mountleftcable01med.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 426
  • 240mountleftcable02med.jpg
    240mountleftcable02med.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 428
  • 240mountleftcable03med.jpg
    240mountleftcable03med.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 240mountrightcable02.jpg
    240mountrightcable02.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 559
Yeah, it's strong stuff. Just wondering if it'll fatigue eventually and break from flexing endlessly. I'll watch and see.
Dave

I dont like how you have the SS cable sandwiched between the aluminum and the steel. That will for sure wear out the Aluminum engine mounting bracket

If you want to do something similar. Go around the outside so the mounting surfaces can sit flat.

I dont like how you have the SS cable sandwiched between the aluminum and the steel. That will for sure wear out the Aluminum engine mounting bracket

Only if the cables are loosely sandwiched. They're sandwiched in there tight. There will be no movement of the cable against the aluminum.
Dave

Last edited:
If you want to do something similar. Go around the outside so the mounting surfaces can sit flat.

That was my original thought. Clamping the cable to a heavy duty eyelette that could be sandwiched on the stud on the outsides, but I thought I'd try this simple idea first.

4FRL2_AS02

Kewl nicopress.

I'm betting the wire just migrates with the bushing as it sags.

Another TB? 'solution' in search of a problem?

If it sags, it sags. I'm not expecting it to eliminate that.

My T5 trans mount is one-off custom and is tilted forward (similar to how Volvo originally did it) and should keep that to a minimum. So the engine cannot migrate rearward.
Dave

Dis

Only if the cables are loosely sandwiched. They're sandwiched in there tight. There will be no movement of the cable against the aluminum.
Dave

You aren't taking vibration into account.

Kewl nicopress.

I'm betting the wire just migrates with the bushing as it sags.

Another TB? 'solution' in search of a problem?

Not really. This is a pretty common solution.

Diesel mounts and done is the usual solution.

Sure, if your engine makes stock levels of power. With any torque they deflect enough for the intake manifold bracketry to make all sorts of fun noises as it rubs on other things.

You could also use some Dodge pickup motor mounts, with 'failsafe' tabs:
s-l225.jpg

They're like $5 on RockAuto. I ran one for a long while on the driver side of my 16VT drivetrain. Never broke it. Although I was using a ratchet strap as well.

EDIT: I way exaggerated that price. I just looked, and they're only $1.75. Mid 80's Dodge D100 V8.

Last edited:
My bet is that the stainless cable chews through everything it comes in contact with much in the same manner its cousin, stainless AN line, does to everything that it touches.

s-l225.jpg

They're like $5 on RockAuto. I ran one for a long while on the driver side of my 16VT drivetrain. Never broke it. Although I was using a ratchet strap as well.

EDIT: I way exaggerated that price. I just looked, and they're only $1.75. Mid 80's Dodge D100 V8.

Simple bolt-in?

This is to prevent the engine from moving around if a mount breaks correct? Looks like a good idea, that same cable used in aircraft control rigging flexes many hundreds of thousands of times,I don't think it will fatigue out. It may rub on things however I doubt it will be an issue

Last edited:
s-l225.jpg

I've had a set of those for years on my shelf. Didn't use them. The rubber is as hard and unforgiving as a solid mount. I don't listen to the radio much, but I like being able to converse with a passenger in my car if I want to.

It seems almost no one here is getting the point of this exercise. I want mounts that will properly dampen, yet not be so weak they can't last. If I wanted solid, unforgiving mounts, which I HAVE tried, I would just put in solid, unforgiving mounts.

Point #2 of this exercise is to try something new and original. This used to be Turbobricks, which if you translate into English, means "try something new and original." If I wanted to keep my engine from moving with zip ties or a ratchet strap, then that wouldn't be very original.

If I had a welder and matching welding talent, I would make some great mounts all the way out to the frame rails, VERTICAL, not tilted, maybe using hydraulic mounts and they would likely do everything I wanted.

If the steel cable chews through everything under my hood, then the doubters win. Doubters rarely do. We'll see.
Dave

If I had a welder and matching welding talent, I would make some great mounts all the way out to the frame rails, VERTICAL, not tilted, maybe using hydraulic mounts and they would likely do everything I wanted.

Like this:

Attachments

• enginemount15lo.jpg
    enginemount15lo.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 322
Back