• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vol240vo's '78 Beige 242

Vol242vo

Keep it clean...
Yet another '78 242, although this one has minimal dings/dents and little to no rust! I bought it for $850 with 140XXX original miles on a b21f. After purchasing this 242 I immediately swapped the Bilstein TCs, iPd 25/25 Sways, TME Springs, R-Sport Steering Wheel, 17x8 Voxx MGs, Skinny Bumpers, E-Code Turn Signals and later Front Spoiler. It already had a decent MagnaFlow exhaust and a Mint GT Grill w/ Fogs. The car was previously owned by a local Volvo Parts Dealer Service Rep., so the car has been very well maintained, runs absolutely flawless!

The day I brought it home:

100_3739.jpg

100_3741.jpg

100_3740.jpg

100_3742.jpg

100_3743.jpg

100_3744.jpg

100_3745.jpg

Installing 25/25 iPd Sway Bars, Bilstein Shocks/Struts and TME Lowering Springs:

100_3767.jpg

100_3768.jpg

100_3749.jpg

100_3748.jpg

100_3751.jpg

100_3753.jpg

100_3747.jpg

Skinny bumpers and later front spoiler swapped:

100_3797.jpg

100_3798.jpg

100_3799.jpg

This weekend I've been stripping the interior out to completely clean the inside:

100_3995.jpg

100_3996.jpg

Last edited:
Deep Clean

So I finally finished putting the interior back together. Each and every piece was cleaned thoroughly, the e-brake assembly was disgusting! All the carpet under the seats were packed with smashed candy, gobs of dirt etc. Also had a great opportunity to remove some sound deadener. All for now, more progress to come...

ebay001.jpg

ebay002.jpg

ebay003.jpg

ebay004.jpg

ebay007.jpg

ebay005.jpg

Last edited:
Small suggestion on the sound deadening:
Go down to the grocery store on a cold winter day and buy about 20lbs of dry ice for $20. Take a mallet and smack the floor and all the sound deadening should jump off in the place where the big bag of dry ice was applied. Grab a bit of paint thinner and the remaining glue washes off with minimal chemical removal. Then paint all of the floor with a good rust paint and seam seal the drains. Make sure the windshield doesn't leak going into the winter or else your wiper relay, fuse box and msot importantly driver rear floor pan often suffer.

I hate how the early windshields leak, but with a -78, I'd also want to keep the awesome chromie trim that yours has in such good condition.

I like it. I really like the 78-80 242DL front end. The only thing I'd change on yours is i'd paint the front airdam body color. Both John and my pukey redwood metallic 240s with flathood look odd without the airdam painted. Not sure what it is with that front end, but it is like there is too much black plastic to it without the airdam painted.

Yours is really beautifully rusty free. Nice catch!

Small suggestion on the sound deadening:
Go down to the grocery store on a cold winter day and buy about 20lbs of dry ice for $20. Take a mallet and smack the floor and all the sound deadening should jump off in the place where the big bag of dry ice was applied. Grab a bit of paint thinner and the remaining glue washes off with minimal chemical removal. Then paint all of the floor with a good rust paint and seam seal the drains. Make sure the windshield doesn't leak going into the winter or else your wiper relay, fuse box and msot importantly driver rear floor pan often suffer.

I hate how the early windshields leak, but with a -78, I'd also want to keep the awesome chromie trim that yours has in such good condition.

I like it. I really like the 78-80 242DL front end. The only thing I'd change on yours is i'd paint the front airdam body color. Both John and my pukey redwood metallic 240s with flathood look odd without the airdam painted. Not sure what it is with that front end, but it is like there is too much black plastic to it without the airdam painted.

Yours is really beautifully rusty free. Nice catch!

The deadening is already gone, came out fairly easy too. I'll have to photoshop the painted airdam to get an idea of what it'd look like. Thanks for the thoughts and compliments!

car looks good. when you took out the carpet it looks like you removed all that foam stuff underneath? did you put anything underneath the carpet before you put it back in?

for some reason, ive only liked those wheels on your black car and now this one. good work

Thanks, not because it's my own car but...I agree. I think Voxx MGs suit the 76-78 rear end and chrome trim a lot better than seen on some newer 240's.

Last edited:
Back