• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 b230fb

Vlaming

Hey guys
I have a '92 volvo 240 and my engine (b200f) decided to pop a head gasket.
I want to swap a b230fb from a '96 volvo 940, is this an easy swap? I have a couple of questions.
Motor mounts: Can i just take them off my b200f?
Engine management: Can i use my old engine harnass and ECU? I think its LH2.4
Radiator: Can i use my current one?
This will be my first swap and i want to do everything right :)
Thanks!

it's not an easy drop-in but you can use your existing engine mounts.
First tricky thing is that the 940 has a distributor at the back of the head. That probably will not fit in your 240. You need to remove it and plug the hole (maybe you can take parts from your old B200F head?)
Second: you have to pull the distributor from your B200F and install it on the B230FB, this means you have to remove the blank plug in the block.
Third: Down in the block is the intermediate shaft. I am not sure if that has the geardrive on it to drive the 240-dizzy, If not you will have to get that from the B200F also and install it in the B230FB. It also means you have to time the cambelt again.

The Volvo 940 also uses LH2.4 so you can use the engine harnass in your 240 as long as that is also a LH2.4 car.
The B230fb will need the ECU from the 940 donor car. You also need to get the EZ-K ignition control module from the 940.
The radiator in the 240 will probably be just fine.

Are you also getting the injectors and airmass meter from the 940? You need all parts that match the B230FB. They might be the same in your 240, i don't know, but it is good to check partnumbers and compare.

If you are going to swap the engine you might as well check the clutch, if it's already well worn you might want to change those parts while you have the engine out. Same for the cambelt.

Thanks!!
Right, forgot about the dizzy, i think i should be able to use the intermediate shaft from my b200f, but I'll look that up to be sure.
Do you know where i can get freeze plugs to plug the hole in my block? :)

try http://www.skandix.de/de/fahrzeug-t...gsdeckel/dichtungsdeckel-nockenwelle/1001174/

Intermediate shaft fits, yes. In a pinch, www.folkraceshop.se has new ones with gear for little money. Or the wasted spark conversion.. If you need to keep your 240 going I still have a few B200F/B230F distributors that i don't need anymore/cheap.

Radiator is fine. You can use the wide FB radiator in a 240 with minimal trimming of the support, though the stock air filter needs to move slightly then.. May be useful if you use the car hard or planning to +turbo the FB.
ECU's swap over, plug and play to 240 wiring.

I suggest some fresh seals, original Volvo, new valve hushers, water pump, intake/exhaust gaskets, exhaust studs, cam belt+tensioner. Easy to do now and saves money/time down the line. Maybe drill/tap the turbo return for a +T later on :oogle:
Pull some useful junk of the old engine, like head/sump.

Back