home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #1101
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Actually, a high mount alt might provide an even better solution. I think you'll find fabricating motor mounts while clearing the steering shaft will be interesting. Take a look at Alan Groves low mount a/c for a Sanden compressor --- that's about the most out-of-the-way thing I saw. With the turbo living high on the passenger side, I don't think a high mount compressor will work.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #1102
JohnMc
PV Abuser

This kit has two wastegates hanging out on the passenger side. I think they'd be where a stock low mount compressor would go.

I got a set of those slick STS machining LS motor mounts a couple of years ago, which clear the shaft when using hooker cast headers, I'm hoping this drivers side header is tucked tightly enough to not be an issue.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #1103
JohnMc
PV Abuser

But yeah, I forgot that Corvettes do have the alt up high, and the PS pump down low. It would probably work since the PS pump is far more compact.

I was half wondering about a Prius A/C compressor, but those use 200V 3 phase A/C, not in ready supply on an old Volvo.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #1104
cosbySweater
Board Member

Your probably gonna have to move your steering rack around to clear those. I used hooker cast manifolds flipped on mine and they barely cleared the steering column with a solid shaft in place
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #1105
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
You gain 3/4" if you move from the truck to F-body pulley spacing; you gain 1-9/16" if you move from truck to Corvette spacing. Of course, with turbo/crossover piping/etc -- where the accessories end up actually sitting relative to the exhaust bits is probably the bigger issue. Not sure how this kit routes things, but there could be situations where having the accessories further away from the engine (truck mount) makes things better. I don't think John will know until he starts mocking up.
I have a camaro water pump with a 3/4" spacers to put my drivers side hose in a better position. I'll have to look into corvette accessories after the CTS-C supercharger and Corvette C4 swap.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #1106
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
This kit has two wastegates hanging out on the passenger side. I think they'd be where a stock low mount compressor would go.

I got a set of those slick STS machining LS motor mounts a couple of years ago, which clear the shaft when using hooker cast headers, I'm hoping this drivers side header is tucked tightly enough to not be an issue.
In that area with the header coming forward - if it clears the mount, the steering comes into play, and if it clears the steering, the mount may come into play. You’ll figure out how to make it work when you start mocking...

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 01-11-2018 at 10:02 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #1107
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
I have a camaro water pump with a 3/4" spacers to put my drivers side hose in a better position. I'll have to look into corvette accessories after the CTS-C supercharger and Corvette C4 swap.
Iím running Corvette pump/spacing - seems to make just about everything better. Except of course a front turbo crossover. But the 6.2 N.A. Hp/torque is enough for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #1108
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Iím running Corvette pump/spacing - seems to make just about everything better. Except of course a front turbo crossover. But the 6.2 N.A. Hp/torque is enough for me.
By gaining almost 2" that would make it way easier to get a double pass radiator in a 3 row that is more common to find then a 2 row.
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #1109
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
how much difference is the corvette vs camaro power steering pump when it comes to front spacing of the pulley?
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #1110
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
how much difference is the corvette vs camaro power steering pump when it comes to front spacing of the pulley?
Not sure what you're asking. Post 1097 has the fore/aft differences between Corvette/F-body/truck pulleys.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #1111
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
By gaining almost 2" that would make it way easier to get a double pass radiator in a 3 row that is more common to find then a 2 row.
Yup - but as John showed in his picture above, with his exhaust configuration, moving the alternator back (Corvette spacing) past the Camaro spacing puts the alt into the driver's side exhaust. Ya'll swappers know - it's tight in there. You just have to play with it til you get the fit you want.

And yes, tons of room for a big, aluminum radiator in mine.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 01-12-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #1112
JohnMc
PV Abuser

The factory Corvette stuff might work because the alternator is up above the manifold, and the PS pump isn't nearly as long, so even with it moved back by and inch-and-a-bit it's probably not as close as the Camaro style alternator is.

And then you get into the aftermarket brackets that put things all over the place. It would just be easiest to deal with parts that would be easier to replace in a pinch.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #1113
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Looks like it's the most open where you need it to be open. Also allows the most room at engine front when/if you start squeezing big rads/intercooler/condenser up front.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #1114
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Heh, I don't have that sort of skill. I've welded up downpipes in the past, but doing that sort of work up there is beyond me.

It's an Ebay manifold kit. Trying to leverage off the popularity of the turbo LS swap marketplace. This is a kit that fits a 240SX. After pondering various more popular targets for turbo LS swaps, I figured that one would have a high likely hood of fitting into a 240 Volvo as is. Worst case, I might need to tweak the crossover pipe or downpipe some. I can do that.
how much was that? 242 needs some love.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #1115
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Here's the kit: https://www.cxracing.com/TRB-KIT-LS-S13-T76-NO-IC

They had a 10% off sale to close out 2017.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #1116
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

nifty. thanks!

what's the spread on 200 series frame rails?
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #1117
M.H. Yount
Board Member

29” - narrowing as you approach firewall
Old 01-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #1118
JohnMc
PV Abuser

240SX is 29.13" between the rails, I'm fairly hopeful I won't have to do much to get this to fit. Possibly nothing at all.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #1119
cosbySweater
Board Member

It will be interesting to see if those clear the steering in the 240 chassis.
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #1120
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I'd bet money some fab will be required for the steering shaft clearance. I think the Nissan is a rear-steer set up (rack on the backside of the crossmember) and I believe the LS's sit a bit further forward (relative to strut towers) in the SX than in the Volvo. If I'm remembering that right, it means most of the steering bits on the Nissan are much further back in the engine bay than they are on the Volvos. That's what's making me think that the driver's side header configured for the Nissan is likely to interfere with the Volvo steering shaft. Not a huge deal - hopefully just add some ujoints/heimjoints to jank around it.