• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Genuine volvo shocks/struts 1993 245

The later ones say made in Japan and look identical to a Tokico and last pretty well if the dust boot is any good.

IDK anymore though, if they are the later batch of Sachs who also made struts for Volvo, they're probably junk, those things are almost DOA from new and barely last a few lousy months.

Bummer 1993s don't accept Bilsteins without risking only 2 threads on the gland nut or a custom gland nut or something.

Boge made the original shocks but they were absorbed into the Sachs megacorporation years ago. As mentioned above and my experience with the last few sets of front Sachs struts is not good. I would just buy the real Tokico ones suggested above or use something like the yellow shocks on ebay I think they are ALBO made in Estonia.

New Sachs/Boge is garbage.

I recently installed some OE struts/shocks in a DD for a customer. He likes them.

Sachs is such junk, it requires the use of many expletives. I got burned again by them on the '87 245 just this summer. I've been pleased with Bil Touring Class on the 7/9's and the rumor is they fixed the rear end clunking.

Are we sure the latest batch of Genuine Volvo shocks isn't still Monroe? Monroe, as in "OMFG it's Monroe!"

-Ryan

Boge made the original shocks but they were absorbed into the Sachs megacorporation years ago. As mentioned above and my experience with the last few sets of front Sachs struts is not good. I would just buy the real Tokico ones suggested above or use something like the yellow shocks on ebay I think they are ALBO made in Estonia.

A) took a chance on the Estonia $88 kit
B) installed (shocks only)on a 92 wagn last summer
C) nice for 6 months(of low miles city driving), currently bouncy/soft

A) took a chance on the Estonia $88 kit
B) installed (shocks only)on a 92 wagn last summer
C) nice for 6 months(of low miles city driving), currently bouncy/soft

Thank you I was wondering if anyone tried them and I couldn't find a thread about it. Not sure what I am gonna do but I am going to do something soon. My springs are not stock on my wagon. The fronts are like what the 1979 242 GT used and the rears are overload springs. I may try the shocks anyway since I already have them.

Quick question...

Do you think a Sachs shock with a build date of 09/05 would A) Still be good, and B) Be of a better quality than later examples?

I just picked up 2 NOS Sachs shocks with the above build date for $9/each. They seem to ride/work well on the 95 945...

Cheap struts up next!

Quick question...

Do you think a Sachs shock with a build date of 09/05 would A) Still be good, and B) Be of a better quality than later examples?

I just picked up 2 NOS Sachs shocks with the above build date for $9/each. They seem to ride/work well on the 95 945...

Cheap struts up next!

I was having trouble with Sachs struts in 2007, IIRC?

-Ryan

~a decade ago the Sachs stuff went into the toilet.

Monroe shocks for 240s are dreadful and have always been as far as I remember and are great if you like the GM "motion sickness" ride.

Buy dusty shelf Tokicos and take your chances? So far short of bil hds that has been the best 2nd place found.

Pity it's a 93...it's kinda Bilsteins or bust if you want them to last wish a crap anymore it would seem

Last edited:
I just put billy tourings in my 93 245. They fit fine. The stupid HD's don't fit (on some I'm told).

Get the touring. Go touring.

Well if it's a decade ago when it hit the turd collector. then with an 05 build date you may be ok. I used to like the Boge Turbo Gas shocks as a good affordable shock. It improved the handling a lot while still having a nice ride.Sadly when Sachs bought Boge it was the end of the road.

Back