• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo/header drain

90volvo

I have basically everything lined out on new engine and turbo etc. One problem I do have is my oil drain line touches my header which is wrapped in ex. wrap. Doesnt take long for it to start smoking. Only thing I can think of is to use a flexible stainless steel line with no rubber. Like this:

Oil Drain Tube,Fit for 2004-2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel,Engine Turbo Oil Return Drain Line Tube Kit Including Gasket Bolts O-Rings

BUt, Im concerned that this will super heat my oil and cause other problems. Im running a custom header. Ive tried reclocking turbo to help the situation with no luck. Even with the header wrapped it still get to 600 degrees. The turbo is a ball bearing GTX3076r. Im looking for advice and maybe someone have different idea. Thanks

Post up some pics, if it's touching your header I'm sure you know that's not gonna work.
You should be able to route it with an air gap, it will still get hot but not on fire hot.

You want the drain hose to be as far away as possible.
This might mean you have to go buy new drain fittings to get the hose positioned properly.

Yeh, I know thats not going to work. I will try and get some pics. I have hydraulic return hose wrapped in fiberglass at the moment but know thats no a long term answer and probably not short term either.

Only thing I can think of is to use a flexible stainless steel line with no rubber. Like this:

Oil Drain Tube,Fit for 2004-2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel,Engine Turbo Oil Return Drain Line Tube Kit Including Gasket Bolts O-Rings

Interesting as I've considered doing the same or at least something similar, which was inspired by said diesel oil drain lines. More elaboration below.

[...] Im looking for advice and maybe someone have different idea.

I'm also in the "custom header" group and am tired of my components (oil drain lines and ancillary bits) getting cooked. I plan to do a combination of what culberro suggested which is different fittings to get away from the runners and some form of stainless steel hardline flared and bent to at least get past the manifold, and either run a small section of PTFE line to the block fitting at the other end, or just hard line it all the way through and find some way to brace it so it doesn't crack.

I've already done the same with my wastegate lines, but smaller diameter and I was able to get away with CuNi (Copper nickel / cupronickel) tube.

I could go straight down off my turbo to get past the header but then I wouldnt have much of an angle for the drain. When I had engine apart I should of welded a bung in the front or at least half way on oil pan. But heck I was thinking that far ahead, didnt have the header at that point either. I will keep you posted. I did purchase a cummins ss flexible line tonight and some high heat sleeve for it.

Back