• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 exhaust headers

SOHC

I have an 81 245 GLE injection and I have been playing around with the exhaust, I tried a straight 2? pipe dumping before the diff witch didn?t help things, then I made a 2? system with 2 glass pack hotdog mufflers witch seemed to help, I made a set of headers witch are a try Y design witch boosted the mid range a lot and made the motor much sweeter around the 2000 RPM range, it was like I had been driving with the hand brake on before.

I am thinking of making a long tube 4 into one extractors, has anyone tried this? I can?t seem to find how to post pictures

Yes, but I made a set for the other side of the car too.
If you make your own, the merge collectors that come with kits like that of the summit racing weld-up header kit are lousy. I went with a merge collector from cone engineering. https://www.coneeng.com/exhaust_system_kits.html

151946933.jpg

My dream was to have an na 16v setup with a five speed and a set of headers.

740atl said:
My dream was to have an na 16v setup with a five speed and a set of headers.

If you already have a good exhaust (2.5?), does adding a header really make that much difference on a stock 16v engine? Genuinely curious.

Dunno. I was always under the impression the stock exhaust manifolds were pretty good. No data to compare to. It was a path I never got to try as I went turbo right away. Driving the 16v na with the getrag was some of the most fun I’ve had in a car… it was slow by most standards but it sounded great.

If you already have a good exhaust (2.5?), does adding a header really make that much difference on a stock 16v engine? Genuinely curious.

In my experience the try Y I made having longer bigger primary?s make the engine so much sweeter and smother and engine pulled better off the mark, stock manifold is restrictive where 1&4 and 2&3 cylinders meet and the primary?s don?t have enough length

I thought because there was more than one pipe it became plural or it dose in the part of the world I come from where English was invented

In my experience the try Y I made having longer bigger primary’s make the engine so much sweeter and smother and engine pulled better off the mark, stock manifold is restrictive where 1&4 and 2&3 cylinders meet and the primary’s don’t have enough length
It is definitely not ideal, but it is sufficient for over 140whp as proven by our race car. We will be building a larger downpipe for it soon with 1 7/8" piping instead of the basically factory sized 1 3/4" downpipe tubing we're currently running.

I thought because there was more than one pipe it became plural or it dose in the part of the world I come from where English was invented
He's saying he put a V8 in the car. :)

What is the rest of the engine build? The basically factory exhaust with a larger merge for the original downpipe(2.25" or 2.5") can be sufficient for 150whp+ depending on the rest of the build. You will want the rest of the exhaust to be 2.25" or 2.5". 2.5" will be louder.

Last edited:
Well, because trying to make a custom, larger diameter downpipe was not as straight forward as first though, we bit the bullet and ordered a $250 Type 3 header for a 240 from KG Trimning. It helped that we were already having other stuff shipped from them to make that decision. Hopefully we can make it fit in our cramped 140 engine bay.

I made a set of headers witch are a try Y design witch boosted the mid range a lot and made the motor much sweeter around the 2000 RPM range, it was like I had been driving with the hand brake on before.
What diameters and lengths did you use for your header, out of curiosity? Do you have pictures? Is it a B21 with a B cam or something else?

Back