• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tell me I didn't get the timing wrong on the flywheel - no start after cd009 swap

If it’s a 60-2 flywheel, tooth 15 should be under the sensor when the engine is at tdc.

Probably easiest to take the starter out and put the motor at TDC (check with something through the #1 spark plug hole, don't trust the front pulley). Then see if the missing tooth is in the starter opening.

Looks like it all lines up to me
0EQlrInl.jpg

PmUU2cpl.jpg

D9a1Wqpl.jpg

Screw driver in the #1 sparkplug hole also checks out

Last edited:
My oil looks like a milkshake...
It smells like gas so I'm wondering if I flooded the cylinders while trying to start it so much and that gas leaked down around the cylinders.

I did a compression test before the swap and it was fine

Last edited:
My oil looks like a milkshake...
It smells like gas so I'm wondering if I flooded the cylinders while trying to start it so much and that gas leaked down around the cylinders.

I did a compression test before the swap and it was fine

The timing sounds off in your video.

Does the oil look like coffee w/ creamer (ie water contamination) ..or is it only fuel contamination ?

:grrr:

Yeah, if it is really at TDC, then you need to swap that front pulley. In addition to slipping, they can eventually fall off and cause damage.

Your crank is not at TDC in that last photo.

Yeah, if it is really at TDC, then you need to swap that front pulley. In addition to slipping, they can eventually fall off and cause damage.

I've read pretty frequently that the timing mark can't be trusted on the crankshaft pulley as it can rotate slightly. I did double check with a screwdriver on the #1 piston.

The timing sounds off in your video.

Does the oil look like coffee w/ creamer (ie water contamination) ..or is it only fuel contamination ?

:grrr:

It did smell very strongly of gas, but to add to that. I did a compression test and my numbers were down from ~150psi on all cylinders a couple months ago to 1=100psi, 2=125psi, 3=125psi, 4=112psi... Should also add that I did install the flywheel timed very incorrectly the first time. I tried starting it twice before realizing it. Any chance that that could have blown out the headgasket? I had it timed with the missing tooth at the cam position sensor on TDC. Made a stupid assumption :help:

It did smell very strongly of gas, but to add to that.....Should also add that I did install the flywheel timed very incorrectly the first time. I tried starting it twice before realizing it. Any chance that that could have blown out the headgasket?

You can use the crank gear(behind the harmonic balancer) to verify timing via the front of the engine.

Being off on timing should not cause your head gasket to blow by itself(or someone correct me), unless you ran it for a while and/or overheated the head. That coffee with creamer look is very suspicious of water contamination. If it were only fuel contamination in theory it would not be creamy.

;-)

Is there any way coolant can get into the engine through the coolant lines under the exhaust manifold? I've recently started to notice a small coolant leak under the turbo somewhere.

Last edited:
Back