home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #76
whalepirot
Board Member

Thumbs up maybeeee fixed???

Spoke with a mechanic who'd worked on this car, who said either the ECU or timing. I'd had the ECU and both AMMs checked by an ex-Intel guy in Phoenix. Certain Porsches use the same injection system; 928 is one.

Instead of fabricating a FP port to check the fuel side, I pulled the front accessories and found the belt off about two notches. A bit of a wrestling match to move the tensioner (it spins easily, smoothly and w/o play), I tightend the nut and the engine foired right up. It runs smoother and seems w/o variance in vacuum, now at 19", or RPM. The throttle snaps the revs up, unlike the bad lag before. I ran out of time and light to rempount the cover, belts and fan, but am eager to (hopefully) get this old brick hopping like it should.

More to come, hopefully the final frontier!
whalepirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:59 AM   #77
Janspeed
Board Member

good progress. I think you have found the true cause. 2 teeth off (most likely retarded) is a lot. that will make the engine run like a limping dog.

about that tensioner, in case you want to do a belt swap in the future: there is a guide pin going through the spring. It has a hole in it. You can squeeze the spring with some pliers and insert a pin through that hole.
That way you have pre-tensioned the tensioner and you can easily install the belt. When you are confident that you got it right you just pull the pin and -pop- the tensioner takes up the slack in the belt.
After that, make one manual crank rotation of the engine, then tighten the tensioner nut. Fixed!
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #78
whalepirot
Board Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
I think you have found the true cause. 2 teeth off (most likely retarded) is a lot. that will make the engine run like a limping dog.................there is a guide pin going through the spring
Thanks, and a special thanks to you, as assisting in the solution. You should know that this fix will relieve me of a nagging to-do (of which I have a plethora) and bring smiles to my son and wife!

My Haynes manual mentioned the hole but not that it is in the slider plate at the right end of the tensioner spring. I had some difficulty finding the 'right' tool to compress the spring to see, then insert a pin to hold it. I used a long, slim pry bar as no clamps fit.

Perhaps many of the other suspect components needed replacement or checking anyway, but all that effort/cost delivers more confidence in the car and aligns the mechanical condition with the near-perfect body and interior.

Last edited by whalepirot; 12-31-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #79
whalepirot
Board Member

You KNOW life's good when even the cruise control now works!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #80
Janspeed
Board Member

thanks for your kind words
Happy new year and i hope you enjoy your car in 2018!
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #81
whalepirot
Board Member

The Ole Brick is prowling the streets in fine fashion. This thread relates the smog odyssey:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...87#post5731687