• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock knocked...time to upgrade

Good point. To the OP, if you like your Volvo then do what you think fits your lifestyle to get it back running properly with more HP that you desire.

Logically, by the time you convert any engine and/or rebuild one you could have purchased a decent used newer Volvo (or other) from the mid-2000s. So it is a labor of love/hobby etc more for personal fulfillment than economic reasoning.

Have fun with it whichever way you see fit within your real capabilities given tools/money/time constraints.

Well said.
But let's be realistic here... buying a red block Volvo in the first place is an investment that won't make a return... at least in the near future.
I don't think anyone on this site cares much about anything being "worth it." We keep these cars running as a labor of love.

If I was a realistic person, I would sell all 3 of my Volvos and buy an S60 to daily and buy a Miata for my fun car. But I enjoy being unreasonable. That's how I ended up with my 740, which was a wiring mess, didn't run, and the shifter has yet to move... at all. I have questioned myself before as to why I didn't demand money to remove the car from the guy's property instead of paying him...

As for staying on topic, I like the B230FT/F+T idea for keeping it relatively simple. B6304S would be cool too. 2JZ would be awesome, but would take a lot more work.

It would not take any more work than doing a volvo 5/6 or gm v8. I'd avoid doing Volvo 5/6 unless you plan to build the engine and if you've got the coin to do that, you might as well go v8.

I guess that?s true, you?ll still have to swap to a newer engine management setup, like Motronic in the case of the Volvo engines. And none of it will be 100% bolt-in. I know for sure there?s an oil pan issue with the 5 cylinder.

I'm talking about a running and driving 7-9 turbo car for snot cheap.

Might be similar to my area where you just don't find them. When I bought my 740, it was the only one listed ANYWHERE in the Charlotte area. There are some 940s floating around, but rarely under $1k or turbo. Just a lot of 960s.

Might be similar to my area where you just don't find them. When I bought my 740, it was the only one listed ANYWHERE in the Charlotte area. There are some 940s floating around, but rarely under $1k or turbo. Just a lot of 960s.

EXACTLY. Nashville yuppies have bought them all up and want 5k for a clapped out 240 :wtf:

Charlotte knows 960 luxury. :nod:

:lol:

$1K and you're complaining?

Gonna be more than that for the swap even figuring your time @ 17? / hr.

:lol:

$1K and you're complaining?

Gonna be more than that for the swap even figuring your time @ 17? / hr.

Depends on what kind of swap. If you do a bare bones b230ft with aw71 trans, it can be kept under 1k. Since the car is Regina, it will more than likely need a stand alone ecu(this is another added expense which can range from reasonable to expensive).

^+1

Wave 5 benjies under his nose and leave with the whole kit-n-caboodle.

<s>You could even part it out.</s>

Well no actually you couldn't make any money that way, but on the bright side scrap's coming up again.

^+1

Wave 5 benjies under his nose and leave with the whole kit-n-caboodle.

<s>You could even part it out.</s>

Well no actually you couldn't make any money that way, but on the bright side scrap's coming up again.

Partially agreed. A 200k+ mile 940 with missing parts shouldn't be worth more than scrap value.

Talk Is Cheap

And what does door #2 look like Alex?

You could always spend $4K in time and effort dropping an alien engine in there to say you did it?

Back