• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

244, Holset, and 30psi.

The m90 will handle your 400nm imho, but if you need to go indestructible then BMW 320D-520D is the way to go, however get the 6 speed as the 5 speed will leave you with high revs at high way speeds and the desire to use a 3.30 rearend.

I have access to a very talented welder, and a mill. But to be honest, i'm too old (even though i'm 29) for the full custom way involving very precise jigs. Spent every night and weekend durnig the last two years on the miata, which is custom everything. I want this volvo to break egos this summer.

Apparently the getrag 265 is a bit of a unicorn, since the rremovable BH is so appealing for swaps. So unlikely to happen. Yet i already found a 4 speed 262 for next to nothing. But it is still a 4-speed. Unless someone tells me it is sooo good, i am not buying an adapter kit for it.

T5 are nowhere to find in France.

That leaves us with the M90. The junkyard hunt begins tomorrow.

On another topic, i found how i could lower the CR : with 149mm rods found here : http://www.acm-ab.se/spm-vevstake-volvo-b200-230-234/1267-0
That would give me a CR of 7.73 which is perfect for turbo. With stock B200E pistons.

The m90 will handle your 400nm imho, but if you need to go indestructible then BMW 320D-520D is the way to go, however get the 6 speed as the 5 speed will leave you with high revs at high way speeds and the desire to use a 3.30 rearend.

That is perfect but a lot of moneyyyyyzzzz. I will buy the diesel tranny if i have no choice.

Just contacted Brandtab and they don't want to ship outside of sweden. Too bad because he seems to do some nice work. Thanks anyway.

Still figuring all out. I wanna be sure i got the right engine to begin with. The more i read the more it seems that way.
Against all odds, i might have found a getrag 265. I'm going to pick it up next week. From there, i'll see if a swap the tranny before tearing the engine down, or do it all at once.

After reading "the story of a greek" build thread, i'm not sure what CR i should be shooting for, as he went with 9.1:1 and it looks like its holding good at 30psi, without being a slug off boost.

But i look forward to build that engine, its so simple iof a design it hurts my brain lol.

about that cr stuff, i really wonder if i should bore the block to b230 specs and use turbo pistons.
The site i mentionned few posts earlier appaers to be a pain to buy from so i'd be better off buying oem b230 oem pistons and b230 h beams as these are available from many shops (yoshifab is what i am leaning towards to)

Since the difference betwwen b200 and b230 is the bore size, i don't see why i couldnt make me a 2.3.

i read somewhere that the walls of te cilinder are not fat enough for boring it out to 96mm. and with 30psi that's defenitly going to fail.

but why don't you search a b230 those are plenty around and not expensive.

If you buy the 265 cheap just sell it for € 1000,- or more and use the profit to weld the afore mentioned diesel box. The youngest 265's are 30 years old and the design is 50 years old.
And by the way they come in overdrive and close ratio aka dog leg. The latter were fitted on euro e30 m3's and everything e30 m3 is worth gold nowadays.

Well well look who's here...

In the meantime, i found a very rare B230FT+M90 combo in a junkyard that i'm going to pick up this week. Talk about luck !

So this is the final plan : going B230, keeping the M90 with the syncro mod until it goes kaboom. Then throwing the getrag in. Or sell it to buy another 940 a found on the french craiglist, that has a B200 with a 16v head... Choices choices lol.

**** this was going to be "relatively" cheap. It isn't anymore. I watched bamse's videos, now i'm crazy. This build is uber sick.

Anyway, back to my car, the engine is going out, beginning tonight.

I am now on the hunt for the right flywheel and clutch setup for th M90 and to be honest, there are so many infos i'm lost. If someone can enlighten me, that would be gratly appreciated.

Haha great scores! Good to hear.

I can only say what worked good for my brothers car, the TTV racing flat flywheel for M90+240mm clutch. He used the 850R clutch setup but that may very well be too less for your build. At any rate, the flywheel is nice and light and super nicely made, maybe that helps you narrow down the options. So maybe the 850R pressure plate with KL racing sintered 6-puck disc? If it can be combined that is.. Many options indeed!

When you take the engine+M90, best take the drive shaft too. I used such a front end to shorten for use of M90 in my 240.

The B200 16V version (B204) is quite rare. You can also add 16V head on the B230, the B204 uses vastly different mounts etc so no plug and play drop in.

Thanks for the tip about the prop shaft mate.
Good for me that 16v head isn't compatible with the b230, keeps me from spending unnecessary money lol.

I began to unplug the B200 last night. Even with -5?C outside, after a full day at work, it is so easy to work on the 240 it is still a pleasure. Lots of room in the engine bay.

Evening fella's.

Friday i went to pick a B230FK+ M90. Me happy !! :rofl:

And tonight, i finished pulling the B200e out.

Goddamn its so easy to work on this car and i feckin love it.

So now tasty stuff begins : ripping the b230 appart, ordering the nice bits and putting it back in the car.

Any thoughts guys ?
They are conceptionally identical, but castings are obviously different. B200/204 blocks can't be bored to 96mm akd hold anything.

On the other hand, B200 is somewhat stronger than B230. And 90mm pistons, along with wider aftermarket, are better regarding detonation issues...

Thank you nordsmachine.

So i finished stripping the B230 to bare block. Now i'm going to order the forged pistons+rods so i can send everything to my machinist.
In the mean time, i will tap the stock turbo oil return to accept the biggest return possible for he Holset.

Few pics of things everybody know :

By the way, do you know if my M90 of 1998 needs the 3rd gear syncro mod ? I red that latest versions are stronger. Thoughts ?

in that way, every single M90 needs the synchro Mod , but yes.. the internet and Turbo Containern says so, that the later M90s are something like "stronger"

Back