• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

Pretty sure the master cylinders were all ATE, don't know who made the boosters, so not sure if the caliper mfg's would have made a difference. It shouldn't have, because the calipers are interchangeable, in pairs.
Post this in the "Maintenance" forum. Redwood Ken or Eric / Ian will probably know if the inline check valve is required.
Steve

"i'll keep this one"

Considering the fact I've had zero interest on Facebook Marketplace or here, that seems to be the case. Like I said in the ad, the ONLY way this car leaves is with a profit in my hand and a 145S lined up to be purchased. If my wagon sells to someone else, the 142 is staying.

The 16V head is for sale because the whole 33% cut in pay is hurting my summer earning goals severely.

Really debating which way to go with this car.
I have a complete T5 swap minus a clutch disk awaiting a car. I could definitely justify using the 5th gear on long highway jaunts.
The B20, while I'm sure is dead-nuts reliable when brought back to 'stage 0', seems somewhat harsh and unrefined. I don't know if part of that is the D cam and loud exhaust or just the nature of slightly worn pushrod engine.
I have a pair of 13mm 8v engines (turbo and NA) as well as a 16v head. I don't have an intake or exhaust manifold nor a spare round tooth gear or crank gear, but I could source them. An OHC swap isn't out of the question, but I think I'd stay NA if I went that route to keep things simple and reasonable.

I feel like the car should be more happy and reliable than it has been. Then again, it sat dormant and rarely for nearly 10 years and I'm still trying to find all the faults and issues it has. The popping and sneezing through the car may be an array of issues that I need to go through one-by one. I'm sure my fuel pressure isn't spot on, timing is currently set to a base of 5' BTDC instead of 10 (didn't check the manual when breaking in). I have no clue where my dwell/points gap is. I need to change the oil and re-adjust the valves as well as check the head torques now that the cam is broken in.

I did spend some time today ordering some 2" exhaust pipe, an offset muffler, and a resonator to help with the god-awful 3" rasp-pipe I have currently. There's a large stance-boy show 2 hours away next weekend that I would like to go to and irritate people with my stock-ish Swede, though I have a laundry list to complete before then. The list keeps growing, but it's nice to be able to drive the GD car instead of just busting knuckles on it.

No tractor engine with old carbs is ever going to be very refined. I say put an NA OHC motor in it if you don't want to mess with a turbo. It probably won't be any faster than a nice B20, but it'll be a little smoother, and you won't have to deal with carbs.

Also, Yoshifab now makes vintage-to-OHC mounts, so at least that part is figured out for you.

Didn't you just get this thing running? The fact that it sat dormant for 10 years means it's going to take a while to get it sorted out and civilized again...I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I find that part of old car ownership fun. Do all the little maintenance and adjustment jobs on your list and get it tuned up properly. You may like the B20 yet. Both of the old pushrod Volvo engines I've owned have been pretty quiet for what they were, and idled like little sewing machines.

Didn't you just get this thing running? The fact that it sat dormant for 10 years means it's going to take a while to get it sorted out and civilized again...I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I find that part of old car ownership fun. Do all the little maintenance and adjustment jobs on your list and get it tuned up properly. You may like the B20 yet. Both of the old pushrod Volvo engines I've owned have been pretty quiet for what they were, and idled like little sewing machines.

I agree and think the lack of hours of tuning that need to be spent aren't helping with the various running issues. The car pulls hard at WOT when it's cold, but the manifold heat soaks and then its an absolute dog on the highway.

It's fun as hell when it isn't overheating, leaking copious quantities of oil, or making a new noise. I suspect once I get this thing more dialed in, I'll like driving it more (aside from the almost pointless M40 ratios). Wide open back roads at dusk are fun as hell, though.

Real update coming tomorrow (sound clips and pictures).
New 2" resonator and muffler is welded and ready to go on. I also have everything to wire up and install the modified 940 E-fan with Saab 900 coolant temp switch T.

Now that I've dealt with the coolant/boiling issues (straight water from break in process), adjusting points, timing, plug gaps, fiddling with carbs more, swapping the quiet exhaust in, and taking care of a stubborn fuel leak, I have really mixed feelings about the car.

I really enjoyed the loud exhaust, but my mom hated it. Having a car that is quiet is great for stretches of highway, but it's a lot less entertaining to wind out and listen to the pushrod motor. The suspension isn't completely worn out and looks fairly good, but I'm really not impressed with the car overall. Even with just me in the car, it's lethargic off the line and at speed and handles like a bowl of mashed potatoes. I know a set of sport springs and poly bushings will make the car handle somewhat better, but for that kind of money and time commitment, I'd almost rather start with a 240 or something more easily setup to handle and is fuel injected.

I don't know what to do.

Got these cool pictures after my first ever C&C on Saturday.

b6QioM5l.jpg

ox39qcul.jpg

Looking good. And I can appreciate the ambivalence.

Having had a 69 144 and 73 142e they are fondly remembered. But I think there is a reason they became the "forgotten" Volvo in general.

zElIgqtl.jpg

I moved on to 240's.

Last edited:
I mean 240s handle like dog **** stock, and are also slow as hell stock. It only gets fun after you do springs, dampers, and a +t.

Depends on what you're looking for, just making sure you're not disillusioned about crappy old volvos.

I like the 140s, but only because they're goofy and 70s.

Looks great. You are still saddled with the stock Volvo suspension as you realize. It sucks for fun and is great if you want a floaty car. However, the suspension design on a 140 is superior to a 240 and when setup they handle amazing. It's just harder because of less available parts. But it can still be done.

The engine should be lively but not really fast as they are a heavier car than the 122 and PV series. It's the interior that got me. You have to replace the whole cluster with either a GT cluster or custom. The rest of the dash is OK. Early 240 dash has a similar issue. While in a later 240 you have space built in for five extra gauges and a decent looking cluster stock in the 81 dash upgrade.

I understand the mixed feelings. I too moved into 240s even though I still have a 145 in the barn.

Overall though you have done a lot. Roll on!

I would absolutely trade you my stock 244 for that but, like your title says, I feel like you should stick with this one. Make it what you want it to be.

Now that I've dealt with the coolant/boiling issues (straight water from break in process), adjusting points, timing, plug gaps, fiddling with carbs more, swapping the quiet exhaust in, and taking care of a stubborn fuel leak, I have really mixed feelings about the car.

I really enjoyed the loud exhaust, but my mom hated it. Having a car that is quiet is great for stretches of highway, but it's a lot less entertaining to wind out and listen to the pushrod motor. The suspension isn't completely worn out and looks fairly good, but I'm really not impressed with the car overall. Even with just me in the car, it's lethargic off the line and at speed and handles like a bowl of mashed potatoes. I know a set of sport springs and poly bushings will make the car handle somewhat better, but for that kind of money and time commitment, I'd almost rather start with a 240 or something more easily setup to handle and is fuel injected.

I don't know what to do.

Got these cool pictures after my first ever C&C on Saturday.

b6QioM5l.jpg

ox39qcul.jpg

Well, it?s an old car. I think you just should drive for a few months, sort out the real issues and then get used to the "swedish performance". Get an alignment and make sure your tires are good and perhaps get a stock exhaust. Throw out the double carbs and replace it with a standard single carb. Makes life easier.

Drive it and enjoy it.

If you want to go fast, buy something else :-P

Well, it?s an old car. I think you just should drive for a few months, sort out the real issues and then get used to the "swedish performance". Get an alignment and make sure your tires are good and perhaps get a stock exhaust. Throw out the double carbs and replace it with a standard single carb. Makes life easier.

Drive it and enjoy it.

I agree with all of the above, except I would never trade a set of twin SU's for a crappy Weber conversion. Get the SU's properly rebuilt & sync'd, and they will perform 100X better than a Weber.
Now DCOE's and the accompanying engine work, different story. But a stock engine, twin SU's (or D-jet) over Weber any day!
Steve

Last edited:

+1

Drive it and enjoy it.

+2

+3

Or put it in the weeds lowered low life style and make it worth-less.

I agree with all of the above, except I would never trade a set of twin SU's for a crappy Weber conversion. Get the SU's properly rebuilt & sync'd, and they will perfume 100X better than a Weber.
Now DCOE's and the accompanying engine work, different story. But a stock engine, twin SU's (or D-jet) over Weber any day!
Steve

Agreed +1. A B18 or B20 running properly tuned SUs is a wonderful thing.

I didn't know that bit about the perfume though; Brits smell better than Italians?

Back