• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Fuel Sender Compatibility, 1975-1977?

toms_elleck

I'm trying to find a replacement fuel level sender for my 1975 242.

The replacement fuel sender on IPD's site says 1978-1993. And that's what I'm finding from the other parts sellers that I've found online as well.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/738...40-for-Volvo-Aftermarket-VM414-1367253-113146
34180.jpg

Does anyone know why this won't work on a 1975? Did the gas gauge change at that time? And if so, can I swap in a late fuel gauge too?

I just want the gauge to work. I have an aftermarket pump, and will weld AN fittings onto the fuel lines anyway, so as long as it physically fits and the rheostat works, I'd be happy.

Interesting, thanks! I've never seen one like that!
1229055.jpg

The one I pulled out of my car looks like the one I posted that IPD sells (two metal lines, and the single black connector with 2 wires)
I know that I have a late model gas tank in the car, too. I wonder if my car was updated at some point in the past, to use a later sender?

The early cars have a small diam on the access hole vs a larger one on later cars iirc

Makes sense. There's way more stuff to cram in the hole with the later ones.

I'm going to go ahead and order the late one and guess that the sender will operate the gauge just fine. After all, the same gauge was used beyond 1978 for a few years until the new dashboard was introduced. I'll report back.

Back