• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chuck's '78 264GLE - "The Black One" (Or, Delores's older sister)

OK, well after Delores left, I had a little time to wash out the engine bay and wrestle the car into the temporary storage spot.

baybefore.jpg

Add a little Simple Green and a powerwasher (and some lens flare), things are a little better.

bayafter.jpg

Wrapped up and waiting for the spot in the garage.
cocoon.jpg

Hey that storage spot doesn?t look too bad at all! Nice work.

Yeah, the cars stay pretty cozy in there. I needed a viable storage spot, seeing as I can only really fit (and work on) one car at a time in the garage.

I can fit 2 in there, but not much work is getting done around them...

I was messing around looking at wheel specs this evening, trying to see what I needed to adapt the Eros wheels to this thing.

They are a 17x8 ET40. I ran the Mustang Tri-spokes with 225/45 tires on Delores (And pretty much the same set up on the other 3 240's I've had), which were 17x8 ET30, with 25mm adapter spacers, which works out to an ET05. I was happy with the overall fit, so I was wanting to stay within that same range for this car.

Doing the math stuff, I would need about 35mm of spacer to put these Eros in the same location.
It looks like 30mm is the max for just spacers (From Motorsport Tech), so it looks like the "adapter" type with studs is going to have to work.

Black with all the chrome/stainless trim sure looks nice. I really like your score. The only non-Volov motor swap I ever considered was to replace a PRV with either a Ford Cyclone 3.7 v6 (60*, 305 hp bone stock) or in the case of a 780 the appropriate non-Vovo motor would have to be the Alfa Busso 3.2 to compliment the rest of its Italian flair.

Well, I dug the swap engine out of the corner yesterday as I was reorganizing the garage.

B5254T.jpg

enginesn.jpg

It's an early RN LPT engine (B5254T) that has ~ 145K on it.
I'll be able to check bottom end bearings when I swap the RWD oil pan, but I'm debating on pulling the head or not. The only thing I would do would be to shim the cylinders, but no real other plans to get crazy with it for the initial swap.

Well, I dug the swap engine out of the corner yesterday as I was reorganizing the garage.

B5254T.jpg

enginesn.jpg

It's an early RN LPT engine (B5254T) that has ~ 145K on it.
I'll be able to check bottom end bearings when I swap the RWD oil pan, but I'm debating on pulling the head or not. The only thing I would do would be to shim the cylinders, but no real other plans to get crazy with it for the initial swap.

Yeah, because of the 5pot noise my other suggestions are moot. Unless Bertone; those cars need the Alfa Busso as they also sound wonderful (and are an absolutely visually stunning motor).

Yeah, because of the 5pot noise my other suggestions are moot. Unless Bertone; those cars need the Alfa Busso as they also sound wonderful (and are an absolutely visually stunning motor).

The whiteblock was the plan for this car from the start.

The 3.7 V6's are a solid choice, but not what I want here. The Alfa stuff...well that's out of my budget. ;)

The whiteblock was the plan for this car from the start.

The 3.7 V6's are a solid choice, but not what I want here. The Alfa stuff...well that's out of my budget. ;)

Yeah, I was by no means suggesting anything than what you are doing. I didn't even know about those Busso 3.2 until I came across one in the yard and marveled at its beauty. Thing was spotless. I wonder what killed that car. The motor would have been a great coffee table. Just throw a slab of glass over it and be done.

I'd shim the cylinders.
You'll end up regretting not doing that while you have it out.

OK, well things are mainly in parts accumulation mode at the moment while I work on some other stuff.

Got a DBW pedal position sensor and an S60/V70 throttle body recently and these two bits of fun showed up yesterday.

Rsandgrille.jpg

Been wanting one of these grilles for a while now (was originally just going to cut down a wider one), and I couldn't pass up the deal on the R calipers.

Last edited:
More new toys arrived.

gtcluster_1.jpg
gtcluster_2.jpg

Yes, I know it's a metric cluster, and no, I don't care. Even proper vintage for the car ('78).

Things are getting closer to be able to pull this into the workshop. The current project (The TBird) is just about ready to vacate that spot.

Well, the TBird is finally on the road and out of the shop space.

inshop_1.jpg

inshop_2.jpg

inshop_3.jpg

Now I can finally start to get into this thing!

Working on the list of things to do and going through a few items.

Looks like I'll need to see if I kept the DS kick panel out of my '85 when I go to install my WagonMeister fuse panel. Looks like this '78 only got the 12-slot version from the factory.
fuseblock.jpg

The previous owner had replaced the tank and both fuel pumps, but I think I'm going to ditch the dual set-up and go with a Walbro 450. Should be more than I need and also simplify things.

Still sorting through my game plan for the suspension, but I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do.

Externally, I had been wanting to do the flathood with quad squares, but after seeing this pic in the "240 Inspiration" thread, I'm leaning hard towards the flathood with the quad rounds.
spidereye.jpg

Back