• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swapping struts from '84 to '93?

jmc0369

Banned
I have an '84 with Kaplhenke race control arms and what appears to by Bilsteins and blue springs (IPD?) I have a stock '93 that I'd like to swap over the '84 goodies. Well, actually I'll be selling the race control arms and swapping in my boxed OEM control arms and OEM rubber and poly combo. Still would like to know before I start disassembly what I might expect in the swap.

I think all US 93 cars have ABS? If that is teh case and your 93 has ABS then there is no provision for the ABS sensor in a 84 strut

I would keep the ABS if possible, especially if you change the front to rear percentage. I like the Volvo ABS. Better than my subaru abs.

+1, the ABS on my '93 245 is very effective. It rarely engages even under hard braking, but when it does, it works very well.

Noted on ABS. is there any other issue that would prevent a remove and replace swap from '84 to 93?

My ABS module is out anyway (cleaned sensors and replaced relay- no dice); I've been threshold braking since the 9/11 era when the DoD sent me to a bunch of high soeed driving courses. So I'm inclined to just remove and replumb the system fresh.

The later struts basically seem to have the spacers built into the strut housing. They're needed for some type of inserts, not the Bil HD's.

FWIW I did this between my 87 and my 93, but I have the billy tourings. IIRC the only problem was with the billy HDs. That said, it DID seem like my gland nuts didn't go in as far on the 93 so maybe thats it?

Get some extra gland nuts just in case as it isn't a part they just have at the auto store. I ended up not being able to extract one strut because of a locked gland nut that I couldn't get with my HUGE channel locks and light heat. When I upped the heat, it cooked the struts.

I would keep the ABS if possible, especially if you change the front to rear percentage. I like the Volvo ABS. Better than my subaru abs.

I swapped ABS into my '79 and haven't regretted it. Sure the module isn't engine bay jewelry but it is functional.

Also a nice provision for traction control with MS!

^^ Funny, you envisioned the exact same scenario. If the intent is a rally car, get rid of the ABS. If it is a street car, you will NEVER out brake the Volvo system. It is impossible for the human brain to respond as fast as the ABS computer and brake the car as hard without sliding the tires. Watch an Autocross event sometime and you can really see the difference between old school braking systems vs. modern ABS. We experimented with running the 740 with the ABS on and off. Our times were always 1-2 seconds quicker with the ABS activated. We could head towards turns and brake much later with the ABS on vs. off.

There's also the bit where the ABS can apply different amounts of brake to different wheels at the same time. Not something you can do with only one foot.

BTW, if you are looking for a buyer for your KH race control arms, please keep me in mind...

Back