• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

giving up was never on the table for discussion ;)

noticed something else this afternoon.. as far as spool and speed, etc; I can crank the car up, let it warm up to temp, cut the car off, and the compressor wheel will still be spinning some 15-20 seconds later. spinning pretty fast. (for something that was just idling). definitely a neat turbo.

giving up was never on the table for discussion ;)

noticed something else this afternoon.. as far as spool and speed, etc; I can crank the car up, let it warm up to temp, cut the car off, and the compressor wheel will still be spinning some 15-20 seconds later. spinning pretty fast. (for something that was just idling). definitely a neat turbo.

When's it go dynoing?

dunno, maybe some time this week to figure out things like the EBC and knock control.

some of the other things I did this weekend:
new ref source for the wastegates (the solenoid and other things can be seen floating around in the background, all that will get hooked back up when it goes on the dyno. this 9psi **** is for the birds)
132194574.jpg

and the re-located coolant bottle. the other new round one had a crack in it, and I couldn't figure out where to fit this thing over on the turbo side of the engine bay. oh well, more room for other shenanigans
132194575.jpg

no excitement really. got the afr's somewhat dialed in for the boost at wastegate pressure, but it's got some sort of nasty breakup right at 6k, and nothing seems to affect it at all:

can't lean it out, can't take away a lot of timing, can't add timing, plugs made no difference (gapped at .022, which should be FINE for the 10psi or so that it's making), we verified timing at that rpm in load to be correct with what the ecu is saying (+- 1-2 degrees), changed dwell up, changed dwell down, logged fuel pressure, logged crank signal errors (there were none), verified that it's not something mechanical (i.e. valve train), as the thing would turn out clear past 7k out of boost... somewhat grudgingly in 3rd gear (it's REALLY hard to keep it out of boost past 3000 rpms), nothin' doin.

and they never got back to me on the no start issue and the coil issue they wanted me to email em about last week. so I'm going to call em early in the morning and figure out WTF this is, because it's been going on since the beginning (now that I think about it.. it was doing it with the old turbo, we just attributed it to a poor tune). Little documentation regarding the ignition setup for this thing.. is a very aggravating thing.

that being said, with the basic tune, it's making 250-260 whp by 5500 at 10-11 psi.

250wheel with basic tune(with ALOT to go) BY 5500 with 3K left @ only 11psi.

Jeez. once again, jealous.

VERY excited to see how far this can go.

I need to steal the video camera and get something with a little better audio quality. the ol' mic on the phone washes out too easy.

If you put a piece of foam like on a professional boom, it will help with this. I put a piece of my mattress topper about a 1/2" by 1/3" and taped it with a hole punch in the tape. Worked wonders on all the wind noise and static.

Sorry I can't help you with your car, it's a little past my level of expertise, but if I can offer you any advice, it would be that. Best of luck, I'm pulling for you as well.

Things learned from people other than proefi:
it triggers igniters high (and thusly doesn't tend to work with a lot of ignition systems), nice...
Some of the limiters have a nasty way of randomly enabling themselves

Things learned from proefi:
That's weird, your VE numbers are REALLY high, and the piece de resistance:
your sysvoltage should be approximately whatever battery voltage is. in my case, it's about 2.5x battery voltage, starting at around 20volts at idle and ending up around 38-40.

and no, my alternator is *not* putting out 40 volts at 6000 rpms, otherwise I'da had the brightest headlights in the county for about two seconds the other night.

Things learned from people other than proefi:
it triggers igniters high (and thusly doesn't tend to work with a lot of ignition systems), nice...
Some of the limiters have a nasty way of randomly enabling themselves

Things learned from proefi:
That's weird, your VE numbers are REALLY high, and the piece de resistance:
your sysvoltage should be approximately whatever battery voltage is. in my case, it's about 2.5x battery voltage, starting at around 20volts at idle and ending up around 38-40.

and no, my alternator is *not* putting out 40 volts at 6000 rpms, otherwise I'da had the brightest headlights in the county for about two seconds the other night.

soooo...wire in some serious resistors in the power feed? or something more complicated than that?

Back