• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rattle-can Spray paint

aznracerboi

Im cheap so im going to paint my beater a flat black or grey with spray paint.
What prepping steps do i need to take and what brand spray paint should i buy?
(walmart?autozone?)

ill post pics of before, during, and after.

i always have gotten ace hardware brand spray paint...only because i get a huge discount there. when i painted my old hood flat black i roughed up the paint with a brillo pad and then painted. make sure you wet sand the paint after to make it look even.

You would be better off not doing it at all with rattle cans. I did it twice and both times it turned out crappy. With that said. Sand paper, sanding block, masking tape, newspaper, acetone. Sand it with 400 then with 800 then with 1200 to get it all smooth. Wash it off let it dry, wipe it down with acetone(or mineral spirits), a bunch of times. Then mask off where you don't want the paint to land. Or, go the Rustoleum 50$ paint job route. Here's some pics of my jetta before and after. I can not stress how much of a waste of time rattle can flat jobs are.

before
SANY0120.jpg

during
SANY0257.jpg

after
SANY0337.jpg

in the last pic i hadn't even buffed it yet, and yes i know its gloss black. BUt thats the hardest one to do it and it still looked decent.

your jetta looks great!
im not trying to win any ladies or anything, just making the paint better than what it is now
what paint did you use, what route did u take?

Why not go to your paint retailer and see what off-tints they have...I've done this and walked out with top of the line auto paint for virtually no cost ($50 a gallon, quarts they'll often just give me) For painting a beeter, just see what they have and squirt it. Painting rustoleum is more difficult than a single stage auto urethane.

i dunno, my brother and i just painted the whole side of his turd..err...i mean 'mustang' with duplicolor. and as far as rattle can goes. looks good. go grab their drab green self etching primer, hose it down with that, then do it with the gloss paint, and a can of clear coat. it actually does look good surprisingly.

flat black all over is retarded - trademark ghetto car look IMO -

just turn off your lights and you've got a nice stealthy object for people to run into.

especialy if you have your black balaclava pulled down...

Being a painter, please heed my warnings: rattle can:a**!!! Unless you have a slammed 242gt flat black will not be ideal. "Roller" jobs will come out 10x's better, but if you go to harbor frieght tools you can pick up a cheap compressor will accessories from around $60-200 would be your best bet. Snag some cheap single-stage enamel as shoot heavy. I've done this ouside with the neighbors cutting the grass, but if you spray thick you can wet sand and buff out the imperfections and dirt. Of course you want to follow the proper prep stages first, but with very little effort you can have a very nice glaze on her. Since your a beginer, use a 2:1:1 ratio for mixing paint:thinner:hardener. Gl and I hope this helps! If you're close to sc, I'll spray for a fee and all you gotta do is bring the paint and prep her.

thanks a lot for all the responses!

I don't want to spend more than $50 for this job, so im going to do more research on "roller" route instead of spray paint. I guess gloss black or grey are my choices since my car is originally silver. I'll be prepping the car tomorrow and getting supplies soon. Can't wait to see how this will turn out!

any recommendations on brand of enamel paint?

Being a painter, please heed my warnings: rattle can:a**!!! Unless you have a slammed 242gt flat black will not be ideal. "Roller" jobs will come out 10x's better, but if you go to harbor frieght tools you can pick up a cheap compressor will accessories from around $60-200 would be your best bet. Snag some cheap single-stage enamel as shoot heavy. I've done this ouside with the neighbors cutting the grass, but if you spray thick you can wet sand and buff out the imperfections and dirt. Of course you want to follow the proper prep stages first, but with very little effort you can have a very nice glaze on her. Since your a beginer, use a 2:1:1 ratio for mixing paint:thinner:hardener. Gl and I hope this helps! If you're close to sc, I'll spray for a fee and all you gotta do is bring the paint and prep her.
Sounds like one of my many summer projects.

I spray painted the side of my car. 99 cent paint REALLY sucks. 3.50/can paint is not too bad. I used rustoleum and I got an even finish. I wet sanded with 1000 grit and I was satisfied with the result. I will paint the rest of the car in the spring, vinyl the roof and maybe the hood, then think about a real paint job the following year.

97611246.jpg

Back