• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Turbo not starting

skip_rat

So I parked up my 1995 940 Turbo LPT automatic a few days ago after doing a long journey with no issues.

Today I went to start it and it wouldn't start. Engine was turning over normally but no starting. I have homestart breakdown service so I called them out.

The guy checked for a spark and fuel. After some more churning of the started he removed the plugs which were soaked in fuel. He cleaned the plugs and after more churning of the starter the car started with a lot of missing and smoke form the exhaust. This cleared and the car settled down to a low idle .

There is obviously still a problem as the car is very difficult to start and when you try to rev it it either cuts out or revs, stutters and revs a bit more. The idle is so low that the oil pressure light is flickering a bit.

So I'm wondering what I need to check. The rotor arm and cap, plugs and leads are all fairly new, the fuel filter was replaced a few thousand miles ago and the car isn't very high mileage (104k miles). It has been a bit lumpy at start up in the past when its was very cold but I replaced the engine coolant sensor and rotor arm/cap/leads and its been fine since.

If fuel soaked spark plugs.... you're looking at ignition

Always keep a spare power stage with these cars

Replace plugs (copper, NGK is what I suggest), cap, rotor (bosch), bougicord wires, make sure wires aren't touching the head etc.

maybe replace coil.

If fuel soaked spark plugs.... you're looking at ignition

Always keep a spare power stage with these cars

Replace plugs (copper, NGK is what I suggest), cap, rotor (bosch), bougicord wires, make sure wires aren't touching the head etc.

maybe replace coil.

yeah, the powerstage is light enough to keep around. but as for the wires, i suggest volvo/bougicord...you know they are a class above?

Back