• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 '93 245 Tailgate hinge

volvoboy90

sanna kärlek är svensk
Alright, so I sort of expected this to happen soon-ish, but not that soon. The pass. side hinge on my mother's 245 sheared off today. I can find a replacement, no problem, problem being is I have no idea of how to replace this. Bentley Bible has no information on it. I checked K-jet.org, but the information is vague. I figure removing the hinge from the tailgate isn't the problem, more-so, the removal from the roof of the car. I presume this will require removal of the headliner. I do want to be clear, this is about HINGE replacement, not the wiring which usually fails. Thank you all for your time!

You have to remove part of the headliner to get to the bolts that hold the hinge.

Remove means to get a small screwdriver & peel back the corners of the headliner in the location of the hinges. Once you get a small piece out of the corner it will become obvious how it is attached, there is a metal rail that sandwiches the headliner in. No cutting needed.

Remove means to get a small screwdriver & peel back the corners of the headliner in the location of the hinges. Once you get a small piece out of the corner it will become obvious how it is attached, there is a metal rail that sandwiches the headliner in. No cutting needed.

^^ THIS ^^
whilst yer in there why not put in a new wiring harness for that side??

http://www.ipdusa.com/newsletters/9...ss-tailgate-and-trunk-supports-co-pilot-light

http://www.swedishbricks.net/faq/tailgate.html

http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/TP11410-1_body_repairs.pdf
see page: * 32 *

FWIW...I use a broomstick cut to length to support the gate as I withdraw
the hinge ...in your case yer gonna need to "Stabilize" the gate AND support
it so use a COUPLE of sticks taped in place to help support and orient the gate
as you work!

Wish I had an engine hoist! Thanks for the info, guys, I will order these hinges up (the wiring harnesses are 2-3 years old, tops) an I will post back to let you all know how it goes! Thanks!

FWIW...I use a broomstick cut to length to support the gate as I withdraw
the hinge ...in your case yer gonna need to "Stabilize" the gate AND support
it so use a COUPLE of sticks taped in place to help support and orient the gate
as you work!

Haha! I use a broomstick also, but I use the whole 18" wide sweeper placed upside down like a 'T', broom head against the underside of the tailgate, works well. Leave the two tailgate shocks on the pivots when you do this.

Before I liquidated most of my shop tools, I used a tripod 'T' roller work holder used to feed long boards into the table saw. They are only $15 at Sears and will do this job very well.

Re: using a screwdriver on the headliner. No don't do it. All you'll end up with is holes in it.
Two fingers, thumb and forefinger, sliding and pulling the plastic headliner away from the metal retainer edge (outward) working it along the corner slowly anhd evenly, peel it back and flip the headliner edge upward as you go.
You will find the two connectors for the lights and wipers tucked up inside the chassis. Both need to be fed thru the holes in the hinge and the plastic connector shell will need to be removed from the wires to feed them through.
Also note that the tailgate side of the hinge is held by two torx screws. These are not adjustable for aligning the position of the tailgate to the body, so they can go in first and secured. When putting the thing back and correctly aligned, close the tailgate and secure the 4 bolts to the roof side of the hinges from the inside.

Last edited:
Haha! I use a broomstick also, but I use the whole 18" wide sweeper placed upside down like a 'T', broom head against the underside of the tailgate, works well. Leave the two tailgate shocks on the pivots when you do this.

Before I liquidated most of my shop tools, I used a tripod 'T' roller work holder used to feed long boards into the table saw. They are only $15 at Sears and will do this job very well.

Re: using a screwdriver on the headliner. No don't do it. All you'll end up with is holes in it.
Two fingers, thumb and forefinger, sliding and pulling the plastic headliner away from the metal retainer edge (outward) working it along the corner slowly anhd evenly, peel it back and flip the headliner edge upward as you go.
You will find the two connectors for the lights and wipers tucked up inside the chassis. Both need to be fed thru the holes in the hinge and the plastic connector shell will need to be removed from the wires to feed them through.

GOOD CATCH (a *crucial bit* I missed...I also use a broom when one is handy....)

Funny this should come up now. I was replacing the harnesses last night and dropped the tailgate on myself. Will post bruises later

Or a six foot stepladder.

^This. When I replaced my tailgate wiring harnesses on my 245, I found that when the car was parked on level pavement, a 6 foot step ladder with a piece of scrap 2x4 placed on top supported the rear gate perfectly and allowed me to do the job without a helper.

Back