home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-14-2021, 04:45 AM   #126
James M
Bored member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Anyone know how a T5 trans sound behind a Volvo T5?
I've got pretty terrible driveshaft angles (IPD torque rods, soon to be replaced with BNE) and it sounds better behind my whiteblock then my redblock, but the vibration is terrible. Building a driveshaft now that's the correct length, the yoshifab adapter is too short to fully seat the slip yoke with my motor/ transmission placement.

Ranger dampener looks promising, although with my transmission cross member built the way is it the current one bairly fits. Unless I missed it I don't think I saw measurements here?
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #127
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
I've got pretty terrible driveshaft angles (IPD torque rods, soon to be replaced with BNE) and it sounds better behind my whiteblock then my redblock, but the vibration is terrible. Building a driveshaft now that's the correct length, the yoshifab adapter is too short to fully seat the slip yoke with my motor/ transmission placement.

Ranger dampener looks promising, although with my transmission cross member built the way is it the current one bairly fits. Unless I missed it I don't think I saw measurements here?
No measurements on my end. I am using the Josh's cross member which is adjustable in 3 directions.

2019 VW Golf R w 6 Speed w 1320 kms NEW DD

@smoothdurban on IG
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #128
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

honestly my transmission is really fairly quiet. It's the ****box volvo it's attached too that vibrates at 3k rpm
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #129
carver
Redblock for life.

Swapped in a 47" Coleman Racing 3" aluminum HDC driveshaft with the Ranger yoke today. Had the entire assembly balanced at NW Drivelines. No gear noise on downshift, no 3K vibration, I think I can live with this...
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #130
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Default Google "driveline working angles"

Watch some youtube videos on how to make the necessary measurements on your driveline components to avoid vibrations.

I have taken propshaft and NVH classes and really enjoy getting better at it.

You gotta MEASURE THE WORKING ANGLE OF THE U-JOINTS, then they should be within 1 degree of each other.

Last edited by ZVOLV; 01-20-2021 at 11:40 PM..
ZVOLV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #131
carver
Redblock for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Watch some youtube videos on how to make the necessary measurements on your driveline components to avoid vibrations.
Yeah, a must really. I used the Tremec Phone App to check things and was in spec.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:34 AM   #132
DavePolyakov
Board Member

I'm going to NW drivelines later this week to get my stock front driveshaft modified and my Ranger yoke installed with u joint. I plan on using a modified front shaft with the stock carrier bearing and the stock rear driveshaft. Will I need to remove my stock rear shaft so they can balance the whole unit or do they just need to balance the front driveshaft if I'm using the stock rear shaft? I just measure from the tip of the yoke when moved 3/4-1inch outward to the center of the carrier bearing correct? I only want to get one driveshaft and do it right, with no vibrations the first time.
DavePolyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #133
VB242
Dann sind wir Helden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePolyakov View Post
I'm going to NW drivelines later this week to get my stock front driveshaft modified and my Ranger yoke installed with u joint. I plan on using a modified front shaft with the stock carrier bearing and the stock rear driveshaft. Will I need to remove my stock rear shaft so they can balance the whole unit or do they just need to balance the front driveshaft if I'm using the stock rear shaft? I just measure from the tip of the yoke when moved 3/4-1inch outward to the center of the carrier bearing correct? I only want to get one driveshaft and do it right, with no vibrations the first time.
I would take the whole thing but my driveshaft shop didn't have right adapter to hook up to the Volvo end and only balanced the front half.

Booty Scooty
https://youtu.be/i4oAOZ8nbq4
VB242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #134
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

They will want the whole driveshaft.

Also, I would swap that carrier bearing out for the big spicer one that's been talked about around here. It will provide a LOT more stability since you're running 2 slip yokes. VB242 posted about it a while back, I went that route on my 140 as well, SO much more stable than the stock setup, comparably priced, just requires about 5 minutes to trim the corners to be round.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #135
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:

I have taken propshaft and NVH classes and really enjoy getting better at it.

You gotta MEASURE THE WORKING ANGLE OF THE U-JOINTS, then they should be within 1 degree of each other.
gonna get your scope out to figure those angles out? I think everybody has already been through that a few times.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #136
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Default Scope FTW

Actually, I can use the Picoscope, an accelerometer mounted to the driver seat rail, and pico NVH software connected to the DLC to diagnose driveline and engine vibrations. You enter tire size, rear axle ratio, engine cylinders and it gets a RPM and vehicle speed data from the DLC.

Go for a drive and the software shows you the different vibration frequencies and the order of the vibration. First order, second order, etc. It also does the math and charts whether it's an engine, tire or propshaft vibration.

I got the scope hooked up right now for parasitic battery drain testing.
ZVOLV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #137
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Actually, I can use the Picoscope, an accelerometer mounted to the driver seat rail, and pico NVH software connected to the DLC to diagnose driveline and engine vibrations. You enter tire size, rear axle ratio, engine cylinders and it gets a RPM and vehicle speed data from the DLC.

Go for a drive and the software shows you the different vibration frequencies and the order of the vibration. First order, second order, etc. It also does the math and charts whether it's an engine, tire or propshaft vibration.

honestly a hilarious image to me, someone getting into a 40 year old ****box with all this instrumentation. "mmm yes see here, the problem is this is an economy car from 1975"
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #138
holtzboy
Still have my first car

Quote:

All in favor to vote ZVOLV as the T5 whisperer say yea.
4. '17 CRV - Boring DD
My feedback thread
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #139
DavePolyakov
Board Member

I'm not quite familiar with a 240 carrier setup, mine will be in a 740. I could be wrong but I don't think I'll even need to modify make it round? The OE 740 mount looks very similar. If I go this route I'll have to return my stock support to IPD . . . for the second time
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
They will want the whole driveshaft.

Also, I would swap that carrier bearing out for the big spicer one that's been talked about around here. It will provide a LOT more stability since you're running 2 slip yokes. VB242 posted about it a while back, I went that route on my 140 as well, SO much more stable than the stock setup, comparably priced, just requires about 5 minutes to trim the corners to be round.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:31 PM   #140
carver
Redblock for life.

Quote:
I'm not quite familiar with a 240 carrier setup, mine will be in a 740. I could be wrong but I don't think I'll even need to modify make it round? The OE 740 mount looks very similar. If I go this route I'll have to return my stock support to IPD . . . for the second time
Yoshifab sells a poly filled 740 bearing mount, and by that I mean he fills the voids with melted poly which hardens. It's an aftermarket URO mount, seems a lot stiffer than stock but I have no experience with it.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #141
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Quote:

I think that Spicer mount that works in the 240's with trimming might work in a 7 as well, just the mounting is a little different. It might just need a different set of holes drilled in the mounting plate. An interesting though, I haven't played with it, but yeah, it could be possible. It's definitely a LOT better than the stock 7 mount as well, but it still has some room to flex, allowing for some NVH dissipation, where a filled mount wouldn't.

If you do go down that road, please do post up what you find! While my mount isn't in bad shape now, as the power levels and abuse continue, they don't last a long time, nor do AW71 mounts. lol
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 AM   #142
carver
Redblock for life.

Fixed to include link to post...

Quote:
I think that Spicer mount that works in the 240's with trimming might work in a 7 as well, just the mounting is a little different. It might just need a different set of holes drilled in the mounting plate. An interesting though, I haven't played with it, but yeah, it could be possible. It's definitely a LOT better than the stock 7 mount as well, but it still has some room to flex, allowing for some NVH dissipation, where a filled mount wouldn't.

If you do go down that road, please do post up what you find! While my mount isn't in bad shape now, as the power levels and abuse continue, they don't last a long time, nor do AW71 mounts. lol
Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #143
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B

Quote:

I went with the Spicer mount in my swap (240)....Works great. They're decently cheap, so I'd just pick one up to see if it can be made to work in your 7xx.

12 WRX Hatchback
10 Subaru Outback
93 245 m47
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #144
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Except that I don't plan to drop my driveshaft anytime soon, otherwise I would. But yeah, I think it was around $50 when I bought the one for the 140, not much different than a decent brand bearing and surround, so if it holds up longer, definitely worth it.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #145
carver
Redblock for life.

So what's the consensus about driveline angles with the two piece and Ranger yoke? It drops the trans a lot lower than what you'd see with the stock setup because of clearance needed. I'm thinking you'd need to drop the center support bearing to be in spec? As a side note, don't waste your time with that Yoshi poly filled 740/940 support bearing mount. Installed it on a two piece I had laying about and the poly separated on install. He makes a lot of great stuff, don't get me wrong but this one is questionable.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #146
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

I filled one with window weld and it became unbearable...

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #147
DavePolyakov
Board Member

I was about to buy it, now I guess I'll go with the spicer. With a diameter of 1.77 it will fit on a two-inch diameter 740 driveline, right? I measured the ID of my bearing and it also reads 1.77. Does the spicer have the bearing integrated into the unit, unlike the stock design of the 740 where you need to install the housing onto the bearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
So what's the consensus about driveline angles with the two piece and Ranger yoke? It drops the trans a lot lower than what you'd see with the stock setup because of clearance needed. I'm thinking you'd need to drop the center support bearing to be in spec? As a side note, don't waste your time with that Yoshi poly filled 740/940 support bearing mount. Installed it on a two piece I had laying about and the poly separated on install. He makes a lot of great stuff, don't get me wrong but this one is questionable.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:21 AM   #148
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

The spicer is indeed an integrated bearing/carrier setup. It did press onto the stock 240 driveline in my 140, which I believe is the same ID as the 7/9 shaft.

I've noticed the funky angles in the 140 using a 2pc as well, and dropping the trans it seems would add to that. I'm considering going back to a 1pc as well because of that, since the noise didn't change between the two setups.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #149
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

I installed one of the large slip yoke dampers and it also cured the decel rattle (1pc driveshaft).
https://forums.tbforums.com/showpost...&postcount=242

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #150
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Ok, that just made my day...1310's means it's a drop-in for many of us, don't need the bastard joint.

Thanks!