• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Valvetrain failure diagnosis.

Morley

Barbie Ken
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=34987

SO, something in my head screwed up today.

The history is: I stopped at the post-office to fetch and drop someting off, and 5 mins. later when I was done and started the car again, it ticked insanely instantly after startup. That noise wasn't there when I stopped.

So I think, "**** **** **** **** valve shim on the run", decide to not give a ****, cause I'm not popping the hood at the post-office, in front of a whole crowd. I drive home, it runs fine on all cylinders, nothing strange except the ticking/clacking. At home I immediatly pull the head cover, and look at the shims...none missing. WTF? I then pull the cam, and hey presto!, the exhaust valve bucket on cyl#4 stops 5mm lower than the others...

What could cause this?

1. Bent valve? (WTF? how's that possible?)
2. Loose valve seat? (After 2 years of running, 10000kms? Oh noes! 3 angle valve job gone!)
3. Valve stuck in valve guide? Due to extreme carbon-buildup? (Ehhh......)
4. Valve spring has worn into head, due to lack of spring seats etc.? (Ehhh2......)

hmm.....Guess I'll find out when I yank the head, but just wanted to figure this out now....so I can get some sleep.

-EDIT-

531 head, double valve springs ;-)

linuxman51 said:
broken valve spring?

Nope. Just tried to lift the valve up the last 5mm with, wouldn't move. And neither did it want to compress, those double valve springs are unreally stiff!

Anyway, head is going off tomorrow, then I'll know what went wrong. Gonna kill&torture my machine shop, this head was put into use only 6 months ago.

ravennexus said:
maybe of your inner springs in trapped in the outer spring causing this.

Nah, that shouldn't happe. The inner rings are wound the other way.....and I would be able to lift the valve assembly if that was so. I'll find out tomorrow, the head has to go off anyway...

5mm?? thats quite a bit, i would think maybe a valve seat came loose, or something happened to the valve giude. A broken valve spring? double springs im not sure, but ive seen single ones break. anything from a keeper falling out and a valve being sucked and shoved through the cylinder wall, ford 460 V-8....to just bouncing on the top of the piston and making a hell of a racket in a 300E benz, fixed the head and back on the road. seen ford 1.9's suck valve seats though, take the head off and it looks like someone took a hammer and beat the hell outa all the piston tops, fresh head, and smooth the pistons as best possible, good as new.

Aiiiight! Got the haed off today, it was indeed a loose valve seat. Pictures:

DSCF0105.JPG

Looks like I got lucky, no damage to the pistons or the head itself. I even think the valve can be re-used....

DSCF0102.JPG

when replacing/changing a volvo valve seat it important to heat the head and cool the seat so it shrinks in
sometimes seats fall out if they are just pressed in

did the machine shop change any seats in your head audun?

Unregistered said:
when replacing/changing a volvo valve seat it important to heat the head and cool the seat so it shrinks in
sometimes seats fall out if they are just pressed in

did the machine shop change any seats in your head audun?

They changed the exhaust seat on #3....but the #4 fell out. Strange.

84 b21ft same problem

Just took valve cover off today and low and behold it appears i have the same problem, space between cam lobe and spring. I can move the spring around so I think I may have a broken spring. question, I have a 16valve head laying around can I use a spring from it? :-D

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=34987

SO, something in my head screwed up today.

The history is: I stopped at the post-office to fetch and drop someting off, and 5 mins. later when I was done and started the car again, it ticked insanely instantly after startup. That noise wasn't there when I stopped.

So I think, "**** **** **** **** valve shim on the run", decide to not give a ****, cause I'm not popping the hood at the post-office, in front of a whole crowd. I drive home, it runs fine on all cylinders, nothing strange except the ticking/clacking. At home I immediatly pull the head cover, and look at the shims...none missing. WTF? I then pull the cam, and hey presto!, the exhaust valve bucket on cyl#4 stops 5mm lower than the others...

What could cause this?

1. Bent valve? (WTF? how's that possible?)
2. Loose valve seat? (After 2 years of running, 10000kms? Oh noes! 3 angle valve job gone!)
3. Valve stuck in valve guide? Due to extreme carbon-buildup? (Ehhh......)
4. Valve spring has worn into head, due to lack of spring seats etc.? (Ehhh2......)

hmm.....Guess I'll find out when I yank the head, but just wanted to figure this out now....so I can get some sleep.

-EDIT-

531 head, double valve springs ;-)

Just took valve cover off today and low and behold it appears i have the same problem, space between cam lobe and spring. I can move the spring around so I think I may have a broken spring. question, I have a 16valve head laying around can I use a spring from it? :-D

Nope.

Get a new one from A: the junkyard or B: FCP Groton.

Back