home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Tfrasca
Board Member

Default Aeromotive FPR - be careful

So, I've had this Aeromotive FPR on my 142 since I did the engine swap. It's about 6 months old, I'd say.

It never help line pressure after the pumps primed, and the needle on the gauge always fluctuated up to 7-8 psi. I was getting my TLAO chips dialed in with my light blue (390cc?) injectors, but I couldn't escape a nasty lean condition under boost toward 5k rpm. Increased fuel pressure to 58 psi, and the FPR would BARELY get there. It should be capable of 30-70psi base pressure, so I took it apart to see what was up.

Sure enough, the hole that the ball valve should seal against was worn unevenly. They apparently just drill a hole, after the base is already anodized, and don't put a radius or chamfer on it. I used a counter sink bit and milled a chamfer on the seat by hand, carefully.

It seals much better now. Still leaks residual pressure after 10-15 seconds, but holds running pressure rock steady on the gauge. I've adjusted FP back down to 43 psi and am actually a bit rich at 12 psi with a 19t.

TL;DR - Be careful with these Aeromotive FPRs. Had I not installed a wideband when I did, I probably would have lost a piston...

Last edited by Tfrasca; 11-14-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote