• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

This fothermucking bolt!

igor

Fika?
Right. I've been trying to remove the rear axle from a 145 over the past few days.

When it hasn't been raining I've been laying in the mud and trying my damn-dest to undo the 1" bolts and nuts that hold the axle to the to the trailing arms (see below):

IMG_2634.jpg

After much cursing, lots of (ahem) penetrant, skinned knuckles, broken tools and failure to source an impact gun, I decided to grind the ****er off on the nut side:

IMG_2636.jpg

I had to go this far before it would budge, it was seized like a mother****er:

IMG_2635.jpg

However, my joy was short-lived since the bolt still wouldn't move! After some heavy persuasion it broke loose and now turns freely.

But I'm not done, no-sir-ee. It turns, but no amount of bashing on the other end with a hammer will free it. :pow:

What's going on here, it's just a bushing in there right?

On my 142 (where the axle is gonna go) it's just a simple bolt and nut. Is there something else going on in the 145 that I'm unaware of?

How do I get this ****er out?

If it weren't for the small victory today I'd be at my wit's end. Grinding must've been cathartic.

Last edited:
Assuming that it is just a bushing, Rig up a G clamp so that one side of it is on the end of the nut and one is on the chassis. You may need a funny shaped clamp with one side longer than the other. If it still wont move add a breaker bar to the clamp end and heat up the nut. All else failing, drill it.

edit: tried a sledgehammer?

grind the head off and try punching it out the other direction?or you could do that and jam a shim in either side and it should fall down

^ That's probably what I'll end up doing. As long as I can grind it flush. That or drilling.

So what's going on here - has the bolt seized against the sleeve of the bushing? That explains being able to turn it but not being able to push it out.

It's held up to a lot of force so far!

with an axle stand supporting the bolt end (of the bar) you could hit it very hard using a 4-5 ft metal bar and slede hammer standing at the side of the car maybe??

I solved the same problem with mine, by using a socket on one side slightly smaller tham the bolt, socket on the other side large enough to recieve the bolt, and then blocked up my vise into position to press it all together ( apart). I had tried a large C clamp but it didn't have enough pressure. The vise did the trick

It is a simple bolt set up.
Try grinding off the flare you have made hitting it,
and hit it with a 2 pound hammer & big drift.

The flare had occurred to me - it's quite a tight fit. I didn't think it was binding though.

Or just cut through the middle with a sawzall..

That would involve cutting through the trailing arm. Don't wanna do that.

More hitting with hammers will ensue...

I solved the same problem with mine, by using a socket on one side slightly smaller tham the bolt, socket on the other side large enough to recieve the bolt, and then blocked up my vise into position to press it all together ( apart). I had tried a large C clamp but it didn't have enough pressure. The vise did the trick

I will try this.

I like fire.... No really try heating something up and see what happens.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the defenition of insanity....

Sounds like the inner shell of the bushing rusted to the bolt. Had similar issues on mine. Best bet at this point would be to cut the head off, drop the arm outa the axle and replace the bushing (with Poly of course). That's one reason I always grease the bolts before they go in...keeps em from rusting to the sleeves a bit.

Grind off the bolt on both sides so the trailing arm can drop out of the axle bracket with a bit of bending the bracket. Then you can work on the bushing and trailing arm off the car. You'll be able to press out the offending bushing leaving the bolt and sleeve rusted together. Get a new bolt and either grease as Gary suggested or use antiseize compound inside the sleeve.

Yesterday I used the above method. Worked great - until...

IMG_2639.jpg

:wtf: Crappily cast vice I guess... Luckily it pushed the bolt out far enough for me to safely start grinding away the head. I alternately ground and lubricated the bolt hoping the heat would help to loosen things.

That did the trick since I was soon able to knock the bolt through with a hammer! Success!

IMG_2641.jpg

Now for the other side... :roll:

Back