• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Need Power Steering Fluid for 1993 240

Ok, puh-leeze be patient ...and tolerant. I'm desperate - fluid level is low ...
1993 VOLVO 240 S/W, non-turbo, A/T
I looked in owner manual for specs on P/S fluid, which says
"Fluid type: ATF."
I've also seen comments to absolutely NOT use P/S fluid.
The ATF specified is "Type F"
O'Reilly's: tried to sell me P/S fluid, then sold me 'O'Reilly's ATF + 4'
full synthetic, marked for Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep and SOME
Mitsubishis and Hondas.'
Auto Zone: sold me STP ATF, Type F, marked 'for Ford pre-1981.'
Note: I don't have access to VOLVO Brand ATF locally.
Is it SAFE for me to use the STP ATF?? Or do I need to buy another
brand??? If so, what??

Yes type F is the old school 'Ford' ATF without friction modifiers, I would use that if possible, but it probably doesn't matter if you use the later Dex - Merc stuff since there's no clutch packs in your PS pump.

Type F seems to be getting more scarce. My nearby parts store stopped carrying it so now I have to get it from Grainger.

Clear power steering fluid is the same as ARC.

The only time not to use ATF or power steer fluid, that I can think of, is on the modern German cars that take hydraulic fluid for power steering. CHF11S. $$.

I have had a few racks develop leaks with dextron.. a buddy that operated a shop for 30 years has told me more than once not to use dextron but power steering fluid. Did not know a four type F

This is a Saginaw pump so just about any fluid will work. I use Ford Mercon V ATF/Power Steering fluid in one car and Mobil 1 ATF in the other. I cannot tell any difference between the two fluids. Both have inline Wix filters in the return line. I do a drain and fill of the pump reservoir every 5k when I change the oil. It's less expensive than changing the steering rack. Ask me how I know. Per David Samuels aka The Wagonmeister: "Clean fluid is the number one concern in a hydraulic system."

Sam

This is a Saginaw pump so just about any fluid will work. I use Ford Mercon V ATF/Power Steering fluid in one car and Mobil 1 ATF in the other. I cannot tell any difference between the two fluids. Both have inline Wix filters in the return line. I do a drain and fill of the pump reservoir every 5k when I change the oil. It's less expensive than changing the steering rack. Ask me how I know. Per David Samuels aka The Wagonmeister: "Clean fluid is the number one concern in a hydraulic system."

Sam

The pumps don't care. You will be blowing out rack seals with power steering fluid. Any regular AC Delco spec ATF will work.

The pumps don't care. You will be blowing out rack seals with power steering fluid. Any regular AC Delco spec ATF will work.

Harland, I ran a 1989 740 for 336,000 miles on Valvoline PS fluid in the rack. 5k drain and fills. Never an issue. So I'm not sure where your getting this info.

Sam

Harland, I ran a 1989 740 for 336,000 miles on Valvoline PS fluid in the rack. 5k drain and fills. Never an issue. So I'm not sure where your getting this info.

Sam

Who's Harland?

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/d/d2326136-c907-4623-9bbf-b0d304e0c218.pdf

Page 188/204

Your Valvoline experience is one data point contradicting hundreds of others using a multitude of different PS fluid compounds. That's great that yours works. In general, for cars that aren't a 1989 Volvo 740 that has Valvoline flushed every 5000 miles, PS fluid is not a good idea.

Moreover, if you do the math, 1 qt of fluid every 5000 miles over 335+ thousand miles equates $335 in today's money. Figure that every fluid flush takes 45 minutes, that means that over the life of the vehicle, you spent $335 in fluid, plus 50 hours of your time doing flushes. Dunno about you, but I'd rather get a quality rebuilt Jorgen Automotive rack for about $250, and spend 2 hours installing that. I would have worked 48 less hours and spent $80 less.

Either way, your argument loses.

Last edited:

Sam

What is the part number of the wix filter?

Who's Harland?

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/d/d2326136-c907-4623-9bbf-b0d304e0c218.pdf

Page 188/204

Your Valvoline experience is one data point contradicting hundreds of others using a multitude of different PS fluid compounds. That's great that yours works. In general, for cars that aren't a 1989 Volvo 740 that has Valvoline flushed every 5000 miles, PS fluid is not a good idea.

Moreover, if you do the math, 1 qt of fluid every 5000 miles over 335+ thousand miles equates $335 in today's money. Figure that every fluid flush takes 45 minutes, that means that over the life of the vehicle, you spent $335 in fluid, plus 50 hours of your time doing flushes. Dunno about you, but I'd rather get a quality rebuilt Jorgen Automotive rack for about $250, and spend 2 hours installing that. I would have worked 48 less hours and spent $80 less.

Either way, your argument loses.[/QUOTE

Harlard,

Your point is well taken. I use PS fluid now on my 93 240 Classics. I can't install a Jorgensen rack on my own so I'll have to pay someone else. Which is why I drain and fill at each oil change. The Mityvac sucks the fluid out in about 20 seconds, the fill takes a bit longer. The fill is usually 1/2 quart or $2.50. I do this while the oil is draining. There's really no wasted time.

Thats just my experience which I realize is one data point. I have never seen the 940 manual which I appreciate you attaching.

Sam

Back