• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Are all 3 wire O2 sensors the same?

maxitoman007

Would they all work as long as they were Titania style if I soldered the heater leads and signal leads to the original Volvo wires (bypassing the inevitable incorrect connector). They should all work the same right? With just the connectors changing? Could I use any 4 wire if I soldered the heater wires and signal wire then grounded the ground wire?

Yep. 0.1v to 0.9v sweep. Once things changed over to AFR sensors is where it gets much much different.

Would they all work as long as they were Titania style if I soldered the heater leads and signal leads to the original Volvo wires (bypassing the inevitable incorrect connector). They should all work the same right? With just the connectors changing?
Could I use any 4 wire if I soldered the heater wires and signal wire then grounded the ground wire?

All signal is the same?

Yep. 0.1v to 0.9v sweep. Once things changed over to AFR sensors is where it gets much much different.

Zirconia (the cheaper one in Bosch Volvos) creates its own voltage, .2-.8, or "0.1v to 0.9v sweep" if you like.

Titania (the wonderfully expensive one in Regina Volvos) is a variable resistor. The computer feeds it 5v, and as the resistance changes with O2 levels, the voltage drop is measured between 0v and 5v.

The signals from the two types are not the same, and cannot be swapped. (Despite a few old posts here that say My car runs fine with the cheaper "wrong" sensor. You could also slap a 4-barrel double-pumper Holley on a 50cc scooter and make it "run", too, but... :wtf: )

If you are 100% sure that the new one is Titania, there should be no problem. The 4-wire (and 3-wire) "universal" sensors are almost always Zirconia.

Back