• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is anyone still making the same strut adaprters

firefight

Is anyone still making the saab strut adaprters

I was only able to find one for sale thread, but it was a group buy and he is no longer making them,

DSC01321.jpg

(picture stolen from other thread)

Is there anyone else out there making these?

Last edited:
Ben has these in some sort, but they are designed to be used with his strut mounts/luxe steer. Not sure if compatible with the saab struts. I have them on my bilsteins.

well I was on lunch and near ace hardware, let me know if you guys think this will work.

So the problems I see that those one peice machined adapters fix are
A) jump the OD of the strut to fit the volvo mount
B)Fill the space between how far down the mount sits and where the mounting nut would bottom out.( I measured about 13mm)

so tackling A I found copper coupler with out stop that fit 1/2 pipe
7c1b137939dab9c08a22f9e0877a6a0c.jpg

92b9139277da4c98e7c1f0040a00ba16.jpg

as you can see they fit the inside bearing perfectly, ad sit snugly on the strut.

With B I needed something that was solid enough to be able to handle the force of it being sandwiched between the strut and the mount.

43eb873fada3bbc47c60ee9b053d41f1.jpg
df267050eed73ca62af3738ee23666d1.jpg

Same deal, fits snugly

Next I cut the Copper coupler in half, it cant be longer than the inside bearing, its only purpose is to take up room.
4a0a2a7f7219df0c19d14bc1f8cae0b8.jpg

624aef523b29a3929c3aa693e76544da.jpg

I put the Flat section of the brass fitting up to add extra prevention of crushing the brass.
and cut the copper short enough so that once the nut is tightened, it shouldn't put any downward pressure on it
c545a5b1bf32693185cad1330aa4f5f4.jpg

Total was less than $8 for Both sides,
what do you guys think

Last edited:
I feel like that cast bronze will deform under load. The copper sleeve is probably fine since 100% of the stressed area is supported by the strut and bearing surfaces.

Bearing bronze has about half the yield strength of something like 430 stainless, especially a cast part vs. a machined adapter. So it takes less to crack or deform it.

However, thinking about it more, you won't be applying that much shock to the part unless you bottom out the suspension. Static load should not be that high but I don't have the numbers to figure it.

I wouldn't expect it to fail, but I think it'll definitely be the "squishiest" part of the strut shaft, and it's in an area which is impossible to inspect.

The copper, since it's essentially a shim, is transferring the actual load to the bearing races and strut shaft and shouldn't be at risk of anything other than a bit of friction wear - I'd put a skim of grease on all your shims/spacers and check the strut nuts every so often to make sure they're still snug.

JohnV, Kaplan or one of the other machinists would know a lot more about this than I do.

Back