Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
cabinover
Board Member

Started raining, abort mission today.
cabinover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #27
cabinover
Board Member

Many thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it. Love me a good challenge though so this is getting fun.

I'm more on the diesel truck and school bus end of things so this is a little out of my realm. More so the acronyms (LH, EZK) and wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual than anything else.

Last edited by cabinover; 06-25-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #28
cabinover
Board Member

Well the hall sensor is doing it's thing, I have good spark. It will run on brakecleen or a spray of gasoline. Still no signal to injectors and now no signal to close FP relay, just a chattering #1 relay like it's losing it's ground or power to close.

So let me see if I understand things.
1. The Ignition Control Unit is the ECU or EZK, right hand side kick panel.
2. The Power Stage feeds the HT coil, right next to battery.
3. The Fuel Control unit is the LH, right above driver's feet.

EZK gets signal from Hall Effect Sensor, tells Power stage to make juice for coil, also tells LH to close FP relay and when to fire injectors according to HF sensor.

Is this the correct sequence or am I missing something. Only had 5 minutes to play with it last night. Need to find the wire that goes from EZK to LH I guess.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #29
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy

(In terms of a US car that is LHD)
Ignition control is the EZK box. On a 7/9 it’s above drivers kick panel.

ECU is the fuel side of things and it is to the right of the passenger kick panel.

At least that’s been the case on all the 7/9 cars I’ve worked on.

On a 240, ecu and ezk are both on the passenger side.
93' 245 M47
90' 744 AW70
90' 745 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata 5 speed, 93k
95' Camry A140E, 246k
91' 745 Regina AW701, maybe future turbo project
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)

People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #30
cabinover
Board Member

Very well, thanks. At least I know that part now. ;)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #31
lummert
Board Member

Does this car have a boost pressure over-boost switch?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #32
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
Well the hall sensor is doing it's thing, I have good spark. It will run on brakecleen or a spray of gasoline. Still no signal to injectors and now no signal to close FP relay, just a chattering #1 relay like it's losing it's ground or power to close.

So let me see if I understand things.
1. The Ignition Control Unit is the ECU or EZK, right hand side kick panel.
2. The Power Stage feeds the HT coil, right next to battery.
3. The Fuel Control unit is the LH, right above driver's feet.

EZK gets signal from Hall Effect Sensor, tells Power stage to make juice for coil, also tells LH to close FP relay and when to fire injectors according to HF sensor.

Is this the correct sequence or am I missing something. Only had 5 minutes to play with it last night. Need to find the wire that goes from EZK to LH I guess.
EZK gets a 5v square wave signal from the Hall Effect sensor. EZK controls spark ( It lives on the brake pedal bracket) EZK shoots a 5v square wave over to the Powerstage.(the powerstage lives underhood inboard the driver side fender. It shoots some kind of signal over to the LH box, which controls fuel. LH lives to the right side of the passengers' foot.

So if it runs on ether/brake clean, that tells me the hall effect sensor is likely good.

NO INJECTOR PULSE- do you have power and ground to the LH box? The LH box grounds go all the way back to the fuel rail bolts! Inspect these grounds! USE A TEST LAMP TO CHECK POWER. HAS THERE BEEN ANY WATER LEAKING ONTO THE LH BOX?

RE: flickering relay....the LH box GROUNDS the control circuit for the fuel pump relay. A meter to that wire checking if LH is indeed pulling it to ground STEADILY is a good test.

I'm guessing you have a bad power or ground to the LH box, or a bad LH box.

Find a wiring diagram, find the LH box, confirm power with a test lamp, confirm ground with a meter and a voltage drop test. Confirm signal INTO the LH box. If all checks out, replace the LH box.

Last edited by ZVOLV; 06-27-2019 at 05:00 PM..
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #33
cabinover
Board Member

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Finally had a few minutes alone without rain and not rushed. Kept thinking about that buzzing relay so I checked my ground for that, momentary ground. Removed back cover of LH harness so I could probe there, some funky voltages around 5-6 and lack of good ground.

Chased out to intake and found the single bad ground wire (as mentioned here) hiding underneath all the vacuum hoses.

Rigged up a 3 way to take place of RSR relay to eliminate that for sure as a problem. Hey, I have light again across the injectors. Cleaned them again and put new orings and caps on them and installed.

Hit button and fire but no run. Did it a couple more times with same result. Reach under car and feel nothing on main fuel pump. Have juice, ground. Whack pump with 240A battery charger and it comes to life. Will have to replace that one I see.

Hit key, starts and runs. Life is good. Reinstalled RSR to be sure that was ok and it's fine. Starts on 1 turn over.

Now to do water pump, timing belt, a good service, repair some floor holes, tires, stage 0, and then see where we go from there. Oh yeah, the A/C has to work, no bones about that. If I'm gonna be cruising grandpa style, I'm doing it in comfort

Thanks a ton guys. Now that I know the sequence and where some of these wires go it won't be quite so frustrating next time.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #34
cabinover
Board Member

Wonder why the engineers wouldn't have just run all grounds to a few key spots rather than 87 of them spread out all over the car?

Never mind, it was an engineer that did it. Answered my own question.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #35
VB242
A tough rowing ho

How close were you to crusher time?

First candidacy driven entirely by smart phone.

Campaign slogan
"Trump, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire!"
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #36
cabinover
Board Member

I wasn't but my neighbor kept mentioning that option for the 760 and the turbo 850 I have in the yard.

I just tell him the same thing I tell my wife, everyone needs a hobby to throw money at.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #37
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
[BWonder why the engineers wouldn't have just run all grounds to a few key spots rather than 87 of them spread out all over the car?[/B]

Never mind, it was an engineer that did it. Answered my own question.
Because volvo made a decent car at best. Their engineers were not the greatest I have slowly realized this when comparing other cars of the same era to them..oh whale.

So your problem was an iffy fuel pump and a bad ground??
Old 06-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #38
cabinover
Board Member

I'd say the bad ground was more the culprit as it would not allow the LH to give me a fuel injection pulse. The bad fuel pump was to be expected and I knew in the back of my mind it was coming.

I bought this car in 2014 or so. Why? I've always had a hardon for the face on this car for some reason, it's beautiful. It had been under a cover for 5 years at that time and came with a wiring harness because it had already been determined to be the problem. The owner had bought a 745 or 945 and thrown a 302 into it and was happy as a pig in poop. Don't blame him, that wagon sounded cool as hell. He was happy rebuilding and/or making old 2 stroke boat motors run so the 760 was never going to be complete again under his watch. The only thing he asked is if I got it running again to please stop by and show him the car. I can do that for the guy.

I brought it home and installed the new harness, made it run on good gas (the original gas sans that ethanol crap) but in the meantime I'd added ethanol crap. So the pressure pump died and I replaced it a few years ago. This year I replaced the in-tank fuel pump of course because it had also died. I still need to find a good donor for the whole assembly as the part that holds all of the outlets is rotten. JB weld is taking care of it for now.

As for the comparison of Volvos to other cars of the 80's....don't see many American made anythings running around here. Sure, maybe a Camaro...or the occasional Mustang that someone bought and cherished but that's it. I'll take this Volvo to a car show before I'm done just because. Why? I have a friend and co-worker that drove 4+ hours to New Jersey to bring home an early 70's AMC Matador Wagon. That freakin car has more people talking to them than you can imagine. The old grey ghost Volvo just should make an appearance.

One of these days I'll snap some pics of my boss's ride, a 1971 or '72 Hugger Orange Challenger R/T done from the ground up with a hopped up 440 EFI. This car will chit n git. Just wish he'd drive it to enjoy his success as a business man.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #39
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy

Oh I wasn’t comparing the Volvo to American junk from the 80s. GMs stuff back then was 99% garbage. Optispark, etc. gutless V8s that rarely work, slower than a 4 banger Honda of the same era..

The Japanese reallllly made their name in the late 80s early 90s IMO. I often see myself dickriding Toyotas from the 90s (lol) because they were so overbuilt. Toyota knee precisely what they were doing. They made their name, and then got cheap in the late 90s onwards (albeit, still good cars).

The volvos are rugged and what not, but there are many many areas that could use improvement. Weak AC systems, junk charging systems (until they got a Japanese denso), junk wiring harnesses, stupid 2 pump fuel system (it seems that you’ll likely agree with me), crap interiors etc etc.

Anyway, glad you got it all figured out.