• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940t sat for years no spark

Donny

It has been a long time TB but my 945t has sat for 2 plus years sadly. It ran when i last parked it and im pretty sure i put stabilizer in the tank but i cant get it to fire up with starting fluid. I dont think it is getting spark which i believe drives the fuel. Can the crank sensor go bad by sitting? Any ideas where I can start looking? I swapped out a couple of ECUs with no change. Im out of touch with bricks since I got an e39 wagon a few years ago.

maybe critters nibbled at the wiring?
Old gas has a tendency to gum up with all kinds of annoying consequences such as clogged fuel filter, clogged or stuck pumps, stuck injectors.
And old gas has a harder time evaporating because all light fractions have already evaporated out of it. Add plenty of fresh gas.

if the engine does not respond to starter fluid inspect the entire ignition system: spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor
Also inspect all grounds from block to body and to ground terminal on the battery.

I think, even though the rotting harnesses ‘stopped’ in ‘88, all crank position sensors (your 940t is lh2.4 with a crank position sensor I believe) are susceptible to rotting.

Both of my ‘93 240s have excellent condition wiring harnesses except the CPS was very frayed. I’d give it a look. Also put a noid light on the injectors to see if they’re getting a pulse.

Be careful with the starting fluid. I've seen valve covers blown through the hood due to starting fluid. It was on a 396 Chevelle.

i followed zvolv's thread. I get no spark, no rpm signal while cranking and the cps' harness is falling apart all while swapping between ignition modules. Ordering a crank sensor and will see if that helps.

again, thank you TB

Do you have fuel injector pulse? A noid light is the fastest check, but a test light to injector negative to battery positive should blink. Or have a buddy crank while listening with a screwdriver handle to your ear and tip to injector.

Be careful with the starting fluid. I've seen valve covers blown through the hood due to starting fluid. It was on a 396 Chevelle.

Meh, it's my favorite way to get trucks with a dead fuel pump into the shop. Beats pushing!!!

Back