• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 SRS light on and NO electronics work at all

iHateVolvoPeople

Small annoying problem with a 1990 740. Very occasionally we will start it and the SRS light will remain on and no electronics will work at all. No headlights, brake lights, windows, radio, etc. only thing on is the SRS light and I think the gauges function normally. Usually we can turn it off and back on and problem is gone. Today it took 2 times of turning it off and back on. What could it be? It’s my gfs car and she says there was some noise associated when it first happens but I didn’t hear it.

Part of me wants to say it’s battery terminal related becusse they aren’t perfect but they are clean and tight nonetheless. I’d like to replace them in the future.

Last edited:
It's the ignition switch. Even though the car runs, you won't have the radio and all the other circuits that should work in the run position. I've seen this several times.

The ignition switch spring gets weak and doesn't return the switch to the correct position. Also, the contacts inside the switch get worn and just plain don't make contact all the time. When it happens, try turning the switch just slightly towards the off position and see if everything comes back on.

Back