• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Restoring a car for a 12,000 km adventure

VolvoLatAm

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody in this forum can point me in the right direction in terms of what I am missing for preventative maintenance. I know many of you only replace things as they break, but I am in a part of the world where that is not an easy option. We have things like suspension, alternators, and timing belts here, but not much else. All of the parts that I have removed that are still working will be used as backups on this trip stored in the trunk. I am doing my best to prepare this car, but there are things I have overlooked simply because this is my 3rd week knowing anything about Volvos at all. I have already been able to buy an important harness off of a member here on turbobricks and I'm very grateful for that. I prefer to use Volvo Genuine parts. I know I am missing a crap ton of relays in this list that might be cheap to replace or have on-hand.

Background on the car: My Volvo is a 1982 4-speed manual w/overdrive, gasoline powered, silver-top B23A 4cyl, 244 GL with no power steering/mirrors/windows...My dash however has a lambda sond light? Here are some photos: https://imgur.com/a/fPWwRjs

I have these parts and I am currently replacing these things:

FUSE KIT CERAMIC STYLE1982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
SPARKPLUG BOSCH B21/23/2301982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
SWITCH BATTERY DISCONNECT PI-064 INST 12G31982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
OIL SEPARATOR BREATHER BOX 81-87 MODELS 240/7001982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
BULB AMBER TURN SIGNAL1982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
SACHS CLUTCH KIT F&S B21/23/ 79-841982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
PCV OIL TRAP SEPARATOR BOX O-RING1982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
* 2K1852 GSKT WP B21/23
WATER PUMP GASKET AND SEAL KIT B21/B23
* 2K1852 SEAL WP SIDE B18/20
* 2K1852 SEAL WP TOP LG B211982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET - REDBLOCK B21 B23 B2301982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
GSKT SET PAN B21/23/2301982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
FLAME TRAP
HOSE FLAME TRAP 81-87 B230
HOLDER FLAME TRAP 81-87 4CYL1982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
FLAME TRAP KIT
REAR CRANK HOUSING KIT W/ SEAL RED ENGINE1982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
CABLE CLUTCH 240 75-1982 VOLVO 240 NON-TURBO 200 4 DR SEDAN B21F RWD M46 K-JET
TSTAT WAHLER 87C 200/700/900
MOUNT TRANS SQUARE TYPE
HEAD GASKET SET B23F & B23FT OEM (DOESNT INCLUDE INTAKE/EXHAUST
WATER PUMP B21 B23 1976-1985 OEM
RIGHT OEM MOTOR MOUNT 240 1976-1993
LEFT OEM MOTOR MOUNT 240 1976-1993
MOUNT TRANS RR 1962-93
Audi VW Distributor Cap - Bosch 030101 Distributor Rotor - Bosch 040331
Diaphragm CD175
JET METERING NEEDLE, B1AF, CD175 Zenith-Stromberg.
Volvo Ignition Coil Wire - Bougicord 1306696
Volvo Spark Plug Wire Set (244 245) - Genuine Volvo 272193OE
Volvo Fan Clutch Nut - MTC 945407
Volvo Oil Dipstick O-Ring - Elring 947114
Volvo Transmission Overdrive Solenoid O Ring Small - MTC 1239834
Volvo Transmission Overdrive Solenoid O Ring Large - MTC 1239835
Volvo Water Pump O Ring (Water Pump to Heater Pipe) - Reinz 418411
Volvo Fan Clutch Stud - MTC 1266775
Volvo Oil Filler Cap Gasket - Reinz 1275379
Volvo Fuel Filter Seal Kit (71039 Filter) Elring
Volvo Oil Pump O Ring - Reinz 418360
Volvo Flame Trap Copper - MTC 463835
Volvo Engine Oil Drain Plug Gasket - Genuine Volvo 18818OE
Volvo Spark Plug Wire Holder - MTC 1266019
Volvo Exhaust System Hanger - Starla 1206468
Volvo Fuel Filter - Bosch 1389562
Volvo genuine non-biodegradable engine harness upgrade
240 | Elbertbos 1975-85 | harness Distributor cable
240 | Elbertbos harness set firewall cable - Carb. type
4 Pirelli tires, new battery, all lights including fog lights
Inspected car for rust and re-painted exterior already.
Have rpm gauge and voltmeter installed...

I am aware that these things could be done in the future as well:

brake lines (steel braided) FCPs are Techna-Fit and are significantly cheaper? I heard these are really difficult to get off as well...
brake valve and joints
the actual steel part (base) of the distributor
mechanical fuel pump?--mine says Pierburg but my carb is a Zenith Stromberg 175cd
alternator to more amps--maybe 100amp? Bosch, Denso, Delco?
alternator voltage regulator
ignition coil
no power steering anymore (removed)
any corroded wiring or liquid tubing
exhaust manifold
wonky speedometer/thermometer, gear is doing some funky stuff on acceleration.
cylinder head water temp thermostat, oil pressure, gauges (really want this)
suspension bits: pack grease balls, ball joints, control arms, struts, springs, rear lower control arms, anti roll bars...
alignment/tires rotated
future new radiator and lines
tropical clutch fan for more cooling at idle
driveshaft bearing replacement
4th overdrive electronics
air inlet hose--mine simply looks like the original and old...can't find one for my b23a...

current electrical issues:
back tail light not glowing brighter upon braking, but running tail light working--dash warning comes on for brake light not illuminating. Center console air conditioning control lights are flickering (looking for a bulb to replace). Have no idea if thermostat is truly accurate without some sort of aftermarket gauge or numerical value of temperature. Distributor acts funky sometimes when it is raining hard and causes an unpredictable rough idle.

What have I missed in this second list?
What are my brake line, mechanical fuel pump, and alternator options?
What are some relays on this very minimal electrical B23A GL?

Last edited:
You have done a very thorough research on everything moving on an old Volvo but I suspect the car is still capable of surprises.

While I may have missed these in the long lists how about master cylinder and wheel cylinders? Or did these come under the heading of already done or things available along the way?

I recently has a steering rack blow a seal at less than 26k miles and only 38 years old. That will take up a lot of room in the trunk.

I have had ball joints and tire rod ends fail unexpectedly and even a steering fork bushing. How about an ignition switch? I have had one of those fail also.

There is simply no end of things that can put you on the side of the road in a car this old.

Good luck in your adventure! Sounds like fun.

In this list, I did not include brake master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, or wheel cylinders, steering fork bushing, tie rods, or ignition switch, oops!...Have any recommendations?

If I have removed the power steering and looped the ends, can I still worry about what happened to you with the steering rack? Using the power steering rack as a manual steering rack I have heard the two steering column u-joints as well as the inner and outer tie rods can fail---I was told to inspect the boots that enclose the inner tie rods. Somebody said to slather the steering rack gear with NLGI-2 (what is used on the 4 wheel bearings) after the inside of the boots are cleaned and grease should be only put on the steering rack rod gear teeth. I have heard with too much grease one can blow the accordion inner tie rod bellows/boots--like the air volume in the grease part of the racks has to transfer from side to side as you steer.

Thanks man, there is no rush...The trip is next year and there will be many test-run mini trips before then.

You have done a very thorough research on everything moving on an old Volvo but I suspect the car is still capable of surprises.

While I may have missed these in the long lists how about master cylinder and wheel cylinders? Or did these come under the heading of already done or things available along the way?

I recently has a steering rack blow a seal at less than 26k miles and only 38 years old. That will take up a lot of room in the trunk.

I have had ball joints and tire rod ends fail unexpectedly and even a steering fork bushing. How about an ignition switch? I have had one of those fail also.

There is simply no end of things that can put you on the side of the road in a car this old.

Good luck in your adventure! Sounds like fun.

I can't add much other than to say that I noticed there was no belly/splash pan in the pics or mention of one.

Once you have done everything else, having one installed will help protect the engine.

I like this pan better if you are going to be hitting rough roads or are lowered at all. The only downside is price and the incredibly loud noise it makes when it hits something solid.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5197/106365-volvo-aluminum-skid-plate-240-ipd-106365?crumbs=P0,P4812

That sounds like a really fun trip!

Thanks! Dang, aluminum, very nice. It's gonna be a cool trip. I know I am missing stuff so I am still kinda worried. Also, lowered cars are not allowed here in Colombia--the technical inspections compare your ride height and suspension delta... My car even had to pass modern emissions standards--was nuts.

Wow, I'm surprised that the inspections are that strict. Your car must be in pretty good shape to pass modern emissions! Looking forward to some pics and the story of your trip if you can share it here. I'm sure you have been thinking of a good tool kit, and your list is looking pretty good. As Testpoint said, you can't think of everything, but covering the major stuff that keeps ya on the road will get it done.

Extra set of windshield wiper blades, full tank of washer fluid, headlight bulbs.

If you take every extra part an old car may need, a trailer may be needed hahaha

Thanks! Dang, aluminum, very nice. It's gonna be a cool trip. I know I am missing stuff so I am still kinda worried. Also, lowered cars are not allowed here in Colombia--the technical inspections compare your ride height and suspension delta... My car even had to pass modern emissions standards--was nuts.

For that terrain I'd want a little lift if anything.

Perhaps some 185R14 vanagon tires?

Or 195-75-14s.

But definitely stick with narrow tires to cut through the muddy roads.

Wow, I'm surprised that the inspections are that strict. Your car must be in pretty good shape to pass modern emissions! Looking forward to some pics and the story of your trip if you can share it here. I'm sure you have been thinking of a good tool kit, and your list is looking pretty good. As Testpoint said, you can't think of everything, but covering the major stuff that keeps ya on the road will get it done.

Extra set of windshield wiper blades, full tank of washer fluid, headlight bulbs.

If you take every extra part an old car may need, a trailer may be needed hahaha

You guessed it. I am building the tool kit over the next couple of months, any suggestions are welcome please. I read a story about a guy who went all the way around the world in a Land Cruiser...he ended up spending over double what he paid for the car in things that broke.
http://transworldexpedition.com

I thought about a Toyota, but Toyotas down here are popular (supply&demand) and the cheapest Land Cruiser or Hilux is about 10 grand. I got the '82 240 for $1,500 from a master mechanic who is helping me with the work. His wife hated the car and forced him to get rid of it. They got a Hyundai SUV. Cars are more expensive here in Colombia than in the U.S. or Europe.

The Volvo can do it, you would be shocked at how many things can be wrong with it till it doesn't work. I don't have a lot of experience with carburetored Volvos though.

Very interested in the trip though, shout out if we can help on the road. I'll think on it, one thing that occurred to me is a flat plate to set a jack on, if ya get a flat tire or something else that requires jacking the car up, you don't know if you will have a level or solid surface to put the jack on, 2 ft x 2 ft square of plywood may help. Make sure the spare tire is full, I'm surprised at how many people never check that.

I kinda want a Hilux after seeing Top Gear trying to kill one haha, not available where I am though.

Flat plate is great idea. Yup, spare is always pumped. Last year I did an iron butt challenge in my Accord once from Atlanta to Cali in back in 16 days while visiting every single national park including ones on the border of Mexico--it ended up being a 9,000 mile trip. The only hiccup I had was coming over the Rockies--got a check engine light with the change in altitude. Carbs can be finicky at altitude, but at least this car has a manual choke--I bought an extra diaphragm and a carb needle tool like this guy has:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wenBlytGjSI

These are the old Swedish service videos for that carb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbBB0ZHZgYc

I love the Top Gear Hilux, they are everywhere here...but still go for about 10 grand. If you really want to see a failed experiment, watch this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRBdo7oPUY
He did my trip north in a VW bus and blew his engine something like 10 times.

Last edited:
Quito, Ecuador to Patagonia and back.

these guys went Washington DC to Patagonia in a 240 wagon

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cDiGA8utEpI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

amazing, '79 so an old boy as well

these guys went Washington DC to Patagonia in a 240 wagon

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cDiGA8utEpI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back