• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Igor's '60 PV544 Tarmac Rally Car

So, what would make a tire "illegal?" Because it has too much traction or something. I have a feeling it's a realy obvious answer.... but yeah.

Nice car, I mean REALLY nice, looks like a lot of fun.

So, what would make a tire "illegal?" Because it has too much traction or something. I have a feeling it's a realy obvious answer.... but yeah.

Nice car, I mean REALLY nice, looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks for the compliments!

Regarding the "legality" of tyres for road use, I don't know the numbers, but it's to do with the percentage of grooved area around the circumference of the tyre. In this case it would be the minimum allowable to maximise the "slick" area.

I like it!!!!
I think you might wanna swap to a better cam if it dies already at 6100. Your idea of a rear bar seems to be a very urgent mod judging of the cornering technique.... 4.56 rear might be a good mod too...

How in the workd have i missed your thread?
Your Pv544 is looking great.
They are my fav volvo apart from late 60s 142.
I am hopeing to import one here in the future

Yeah, I'm lucky to have two - here in NZ there are only a handful. The rally car is currently the only one in the country registered for road use.

It's really down to the scrutineers' discretion. If original suspension mounting points are used you probably won't have a problem. We have had people in the past querying our 122 front discs - but that's legit as far as we're concerned.

122 front disks are homologated for the PV, as are twin front shocks. I have the papers somewhere if you don't have them to waive under a scrutineer's nose.

As far as updates, not a lot really. The car has been hibernating for a while - life has a habit of getting in the way of motorsport.

I'm left with mixed feelings after spectating at this year's Targa NZ. This is the event the car was built for and I feel it belongs there, but I sense a shift in the spirit of this event, with classic machinery becoming more scarce by the year.

The event's roots were more about running your old stuff hard and competing against similar cars. Now it's more about going as fast as possible as efficiently as possible. For the majority it makes more sense now to compete in an E30 BMW. And at the other end it's the big boys playing with GT3s and Nissan R35s. The ingeniously quick "home-built" specials are also dying back in favour of the factory-fast, computer controlled rocketships.

All of this adds up to a less colourful and exciting event as far as I'm concerned. And yes, we've contributed to this by not competing this year. Now the question is, do we buck the trend, fly the classic flag and go out and have fun regardless? Watch this space I guess.

Last edited:
Back