• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adrian's '78 245 DL+16v

Good gravy. You will certainly have power-to-weight on your side, mr. Bean.

HY35s and HE-351 (like Doug's old 242 had) were the ones that came in 9 cm^2 housings, and they're not paired.

i see that audi WG, um...yeah...creep much?

We'll see. I'm going to have plenty of exhaust behind the downpipe, and the gate is going to just dump out below the fender. It should incite those exhaust gasses to say "HEY BOYS LETS GO OUT THIS WAY WOO". I'm pulling the gate right off the collector too.

Got any examples of people using them and having creep issues? Details on specific setups? I know John was just pulling one runner at first, then he was pulling 3/4 around the turbine housing, so he never got good control for reasons unrelated to the specific gate.

Adrian,
Please tell more about the header/turbo setup. Am i seeing that right? It looks to be a pulse paired header. Is there a divided turbine housing under there?

It's n xnrtx's old header. Yes, the turbine housing is divided, but all four runners merge into the collector, then go the turbine. Think it might be worth it to put a divider up in the collector? I'm a little fuzzy on how these whole divided housings work, so any good info is mucho appreciated.

You are tighter to the strut tower with a 16V 240 for sure, but there is a bit more room to elegantly make a "low mount" turbo in some ways with a 16V because one can bend the runners sharply up as they exit the head without smacking into the plug wires.

Frighteningly enough, while you might think I could tuck the turbo up to the block a bit more, it actually has only about a fingers width away from the oil filter arm. Yikes.

945ti said:
Funny you should mention that. I have mixed feelings about the audi thing. It is absolutely perfect in the OEM app. Durable, heavy, durable and works fine on plenty of 4-500hp audis with various snails, which really isn't bad for such an old OEM heap of iron. Such said, it will need a good path off the collector and a rather frankenstein bracket to keep the heavy actuator happy and not cookin'.

Next time you're up we'll discuss good bracing thoughts and gate placement on the side of the collector. IYHO, would it be better to grab it further up the collector, where the flow is just starting to merge, and it would be grabbing two cylinders more than the others (but the gas would have less velocity, and thus be more likely to bail out), or further down towards the turbo, where it would grab all four more equally, but the gas would be bookin'.

Adrian, you know you're actually going to have to TUNE your car once that's setup, riiiiiight?

Not really. As with all piketunes<sup>(tm)</sup>, the only place that matters is WOT, screw the rest. I have Blue Lightning for driveability.

I have been considering taking a closer look at my Audi gate to see if there is some opportunity to open the inlet port up a few more millimeters to try and get a little more flow from it.. You might want to consider the same while you have it off the car.
With the divided housing, how are you going to vent both paths? Two Audi gates?

Let me know if you have any success, I'm still early on in the stages of plumbing this beastie up, plus I still have to rotate the engine over a bit more to get a little more wiggle room on the comp. housing.

This is my drag strip call out post. Me vs. you. 16v vs. 16v. 242 vs. 245. NA+N2O vs. Turbo.

I will prevail.
11/1/2007

skeet. It's on. Get in touch with me in 5 years when your ish runs.

Good gravy. You will certainly have power-to-weight on your side, mr. Bean.

At least for the 2 days a year this confabulation will see daylight.

Got any examples of people using them and having creep issues? Details on specific setups? I know John was just pulling one runner at first, then he was pulling 3/4 around the turbine housing, so he never got good control for reasons unrelated to the specific gate.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by qwkswede
Adrian,
Please tell more about the header/turbo setup. Am i seeing that right? It looks to be a pulse paired header. Is there a divided turbine housing under there?

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
It's n xnrtx's old header. Yes, the turbine housing is divided, but all four runners merge into the collector, then go the turbine. Think it might be worth it to put a divider up in the collector? I'm a little fuzzy on how these whole divided housings work, so any good info is mucho appreciated.

Well, with two headers I built to use the Audi gate, both cars are having boost control issues. On my car, the wastegate spring is soft enough that the gate is wide open at about 8 psi. From there, my car is on a ride to about 18psi boost before it stabilizes. The wastegate really isn't flowing enough until the higher boost and turbine backpressure makes the wastegate path a viable alternative. The good thing is that it stops before 25psi. It seems like I can run 18psi OK, even though I don't want to all the time. I feel like its pushing it on pump gas. Thats why I made the suggestion to port the gate. The open wastegate dump may help too. I guess I could do that and see what happens too. I just don't like loud stuff.

The divided header design ideally should keep the pairs of tubes separated all the way through the turbine. But by doing this, boost control gets tricky. Dumping enough pressure from both sides to keep the boost under control becomes an issue. I helped build a header with a collector on an 8v Ford engine a while back, and we had to remove some of the divider to get boost control. But we lost some of the spool up by doing that too. They really do spool quick if you can keep the 2 halves of the turbine divided. It was really cool.. One possible solution is to use 2 wastegates, or maybe a Y-pipe that taps both halves of the header collector and keeps the halves divided until the wastegate valve opens. I couldn't figure out how to do it and keep the halves sealed with an audi gate. I was trying when I was toying around building my 16v volvo header.. I really wanted to do the divided housing thing for an experiment.

In James ghetto ghetto ghet0000000 land, you'd slap a bigger flapper on the puny holset one, port the ever loving sheeit out of that and run the audi on the other side of the divider. Use MS boost control and goof around with a solenoid to freakishly control one or both? ...to be continued? MS bewst control has some rather amazing abilities..if one let the holyset WG just do its thing and slam wide open and then used MS to control the audi for additional venting should it be needed? Divided WG, quick spoolup, dirt dirt dirty cheap, simple plumbing...ghetttt00000000.
Maybe I'm just a solvent freak. Back to work.

Last edited:
In James ghetto ghetto ghet0000000 land, you'd slap a bigger flapper on the puny holset one, port the ever loving sheeit out of that and run the audi on the other side of the divider. Use MS boost control and goof around with a solenoid to freakishly control one or both? ...to be continued? MS bewst control has some rather amazing abilities..if one let the holyset WG just do its thing and slam wide open and then used MS to control the audi for additional venting should it be needed? Divided WG, quick spoolup, dirt dirt dirty cheap, simple plumbing...ghetttt00000000.
Maybe I'm just a solvent freak. Back to work.

There is no Holset one. :-(

I will be doing MS boost control when this contraption hits the road.

Sounds like that would create some large imbalances in pressure between the two scrolls, and back to the combustion chambers. Kind of pointless since you got the B204 manifold to defeat that IMO.

speaking of audi WGs. was playin with mine last night hooked up with a turbonetics dual port MBC. DEFINITELY is affecting it, BUT the trick is to get it to add SOOO little that the boost doesnt want to fly past 15.

lookin good by the way adrian.....about time eh?

I've seen people run an external gate on a pulse tuned header by having one wastegate outlet pipe welded to each "pair" of runners near the collector and then have the two outlets converge into one at the wastegate. Kinda like this:

rb26dethmmt.jpg

is the manifold setup so two runners are on one side and two runners are on the other side of the turbine? assuming runners would be paired up by exhuast stroke timing? does anybody get what I am saying?

So I've got the engine rotated over a bit, got a third engine mount all cobbled up, now I'm just waiting on scraping some cash off the monthly budget to get the last stuff I need - wideband, oil lines, and a big gate. Put it back together N/A for now, because holy christ are these cars slow stock, the daily is killing me slowly from the inside out.

My new enemy is the oil pressure gauge hole. THE CRUSH WASHERS THEY DO NOTHING
How do you guys get this little 14mm ****er to seal?

Back